Gosho Heinosuke

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Sanjuro

Gosho Heinosuke

#1 Post by Sanjuro » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Nihon Eiga Senmon channel is showing 8 films by Gosho Heinosuke next month, 3 of which haven't been released on video yet. Does anyone know much about his work and recommend ones to watch/avoid?

1947 - Ima Hitotabi no
1948 - Omokage
1951 - Wakare-gumo (Dispersed Clouds)
1952 - Asa no Hamon
1953 - Entotsu no Mieru Basho (Where Chimneys are seen)
1954 - Osaka no Yado (An Inn in Osaka)
1954 - Niwatori wa Futatabi Naku
1968 - Onna to Misoshiru

I wouldn't normally start a thread like this as I guess there's only a few members in Japan here, but there does seem to be some bootlegs recorded from Nihon Eiga Senmon Channel floating around recently. I guess people who know people who know bootleggers could get these subbed and released if they really wanted.

Or we could just talk about undiscovered Japanese masters or something.

AisleSeat

#2 Post by AisleSeat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 pm

In May 2007, Gosho's Where Chimneys Are Seen was screened in Tokyo as part of the Japan Foundation's Film Series No. 8. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to see it, but it certainly seems to be a film that would be of interest to those who value classic Japanese cinema.

Here's a link to the Japan Foundation's film program

Cinephrenic

#3 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:47 am

Hopefully, Criterion will release some on Eclipse, I know they have rights to a few of these.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 am

I highly recommend Where Chimneys Are Seen -- which is surely one of Gosho's finest films. The only other on this list that I've seen is Ima Hitotabi no -- which is is also very worth seeing. I've read positive reports on Dispersed Clouds and Osaka Inn. I don't really know anything about the others.

sidehacker

#5 Post by sidehacker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:54 am

I definitely wish I could see some of this guy's stuff. Hopefully someone will record these and upload them to emule or KG or some other place. One of about fifty classic Japanese filmmakers whose work desperately needs exposure in the West.

futilitarian

#6 Post by futilitarian » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:53 am

The only Gosho film I've seen is Where Chimney's are Seen. It's been more than a year since I've seen it, so I have no clear recollection of any plot details. I would strongly recommend checking it out.

I saw it at the Japan Foundation screening AisleSeat mentioned above along with the other post-war drama The Ball at the Anjo House. Part of the reason I really liked Chimneys is it mixed in some humor with the post-war turmoil.

If you have access to these movies, watch/record them. Then you can tell us about it. :)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#7 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Gosho is neither as subtle nor as stylistically impressive as Ozu or Naruse -- but he is a lot more satisfying (and a lot less manipulative) than Kinoshita. At his best, Gosho is very good. And Chimneys is pretty much Gosho at the top of his form.

Sanjuro

#8 Post by Sanjuro » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Great. Thanks for that, I'm looking forward to seeing these now (in 'utsukushii Hi-Vision' as the presenters love to inform us). This programme and the complete 63 episodes of 'Spectreman' should make for a fun September.

the dancing kid

#9 Post by the dancing kid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:38 pm

I'm pretty sure I've only seen 'Inn at Osaka' of the ones you've posted. It's an interesting look at postwar Japan, particularly in how Tokyo related to the rest of the country during that time. It's not a dialectic film, but I think the "social work" its attempting is pretty clear if you know the history, so it's a nice look into that period of time and what people might have been thinking.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again now that my Japanese is reasonably strong. I'd be interested to know how the filmmakers treat speakers of Kansai-dialect.

DanV

Re: Gosho Heinosuke

#10 Post by DanV » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:15 pm

The first available Gosho in the history of man is now out (from a VHS): it is The Neighbor's Wife and Mine (1931); not a good film at all, it's a simple light comedy like many films released by Digital MEME, but it's been a pleasure to watch - finally - a Gosho!

Sadly, the copy has a horrible audio synch.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#11 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:45 pm

I don't really understand this post about Gosho. First of all, although definitely a "simple light comedy", Madamu to nobo (Neighbors Wife and Mine -- idiotic title translation, by the way) _is_ nontheless a rather good film. (Do you really think light comedies can't be good films?)

Next, a good number of Gosho films have been released on VHS in Japan -- and even one film has been released on DVD (Where Chimney Are Seen).

I don't recall the copy of Madamu to nyobo I saw as having audio sync problems.

Sanjuro

#12 Post by Sanjuro » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 am

Osaka no Yado is out on DVD too.

Hopefully there'll be more soon. The Nihon Eiga Senmon Channel season was very nice, plenty of DVD material there. Now if only they'd show more silents...

By the way, is there a link to the Madam to Nobu DVD? Or is it a VHS??

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#13 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 am

I didn't realize that there was an Osaka no yado DVD. Madamu to nyobo, so far as I know, has only been released on VHS.

I wish I could subscribe to Japaneses classic film channels (even unsubbed). ;~{

MB17

#14 Post by MB17 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Anyone knows if I can find in DVD Gosho's "Yellow Crow" (Kiiroi Karasu), called Behold Thy Son in the US? In Japan with English subtitles (can be Spanish, French)?

Thanks for any input.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#15 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 am

MB17 wrote:Anyone knows if I can find in DVD Gosho's "Yellow Crow" (Kiiroi Karasu), called Behold Thy Son in the US? In Japan with English subtitles (can be Spanish, French)?
I think there was a VHS release long ago. Not aware of any DVD version, subbed or unsubbed. I found this a bit heavy-handed, but it was conceptually interesting.

MB17

#16 Post by MB17 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
MB17 wrote:Anyone knows if I can find in DVD Gosho's "Yellow Crow" (Kiiroi Karasu), called Behold Thy Son in the US? In Japan with English subtitles (can be Spanish, French)?
I think there was a VHS release long ago. Not aware of any DVD version, subbed or unsubbed. I found this a bit heavy-handed, but it was conceptually interesting.
I wanted to see for a work I'm doing, but then... Thanks for the info.

FilmSnob

#17 Post by FilmSnob » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:25 pm

There are three Gosho films on Criterion Channel, but only the first and a couple of random others. The most acclaimed films are missing and hard to find.
(a couple of his 1930s films are on Youtube, but nothing from his post-war films)

I have to say it doesn't excite me to watch these lesser films if I'm not going to be able to watch the classics. Maybe Criterion Channel can add Gosho one month?

Some films I'd like to see:

The Neighbor's Wife and Mine (1931) -- available on Criterion Channel
Historically important as Japan's first "talkie". Won the Kinemo Junpo Award as Japan's best film in 1931. Gosho's earliest surviving film.

The Bride Talks in Her Sleep (1933) -- Youtube
Commercially successful comedy starring Kinuyo Tanaka, who was the top actress in Japan at that time.

The Dancing Girl of Izu (1933) -- Youtube
Gosho's critically acclaimed late silent film, again starring Kinuyo Tanaka. I'm surprised this one isn't already on Criterion Channel, because it's higher rated than the ones they do have on there, but maybe no score?

The Groom Talks in His Sleep (1935) -- Youtube
Another commercially successful follow-up to Gosho's earlier 'Bride Talks in Her Sleep'.

Burden of Life (1935) -- Available on Criterion Channel
Kind of a random selection to have on Criterion Channel, but I'm sure some people will be happy to see any rare Gosho film they can find.

Woman in the Mist (1936) -- Youtube
One of Gosho's last acclaimed films from the 1930s.

Wood and Stone (1940) -- Youtube, but no subs
His last pre-war film.

Once More (1947)
Disappointed I couldn't find this. It's one of Gosho's most acclaimed films. 3rd place Kinemo Junpo poll that year.

Dispersed Clouds (1951)
Another one unavailable. Highest rated Gosho film to that point in his career.

Where Chimneys Are Seen (1953)
Award winning film at the Berlin Film Festival. Again Gosho's highest rated film so far, starring Kinuyo Tanaka, Ken Uehara, and Hideko Takamine.

An Inn at Osaka (1954)
Widely regarded as the masterwork of Gosho's career. Entered into the Venice Film Festival 1954.

Growing Up (1955)
At the high plateau of Gosho's career, he directed this film starring teen idol and legendary singer Hibari Misora. Highly praised work by Donald Richie.

Yellow Crow (1957)
Winner of the Golden Globe Award in the United States for 'Best Foreign Film' in 1958.

Elegy of the North (1957)
Another acclaimed Gosho film, rated even higher on Letterboxd than 'Yellow Crow' which won the Golden Globe Award that year.

Firefly Light (1958)
The last of Gosho's more celebrated films from the 1950s.

An Innocent Witch (1965) -- Available on Criterion Channel
Late Gosho picture on the Channel. Personally I'd be more interested to watch these if some of the director's most celebrated works could also be seen.

Rebellion of Japan (1967)
Gosho's last major film. Same rating as 'Innocent Witch'.

Some Gosho films available now. Since we have Criterion Channel these days it would be even better if they found a month to add Gosho to the lineup. I would like to see that.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#18 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:58 pm

FilmSnob -- You might want to see if you can check out the one English book on Gosho: https://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Gosho-Hei ... 0253217253

Osaka no yado CAN be found online (same site has Yellow Crow). It is a Shintoho film -- and the rights to these tend to be confusing...

I think I have unsubbed DVDs of some of these -- like Takekurabe (Growing up), Once More and Where Chimneys Are Seen. These are quite good.

I love Neighbor's Wife and Mine -- and I recall Bride Talks in her Sleep as being amusing fluff. I recall the Groom one as not quite as good (but my memory is vague).

I'd say that Gosho's film style is less "steady" than Ozu's (or even Naruse's) -- so why not check out whatever seems somewhat interesting among the films that are available? That's what I did (long ago). I found most of his films worth seeing -- but he is not my favorite of the era (or my least favorite either). I liked the work of his younger (even less known in the West) colleague Tadashi Imai more appealing over all. But good luck with that. Last I looked none of his best work was available in subbed form.