Alain Corneau

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
royalton

Alain Corneau

#1 Post by royalton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:17 am

I've lurked for some time and really enjoyed myself, but I felt I had to register tonight and brave the newbie's path to try and open up some discussion about Alain Corneau, particularly two of his films I just saw at the Film Forum: Serie Noire and Police Python 357. While the former is excellent, like no other supposed "noir" I've seen before, with an incredible performance by Patrick Dewaere (and the opening scene is classic), I have to say I think the latter, Police Python 357, seems to have been unfairly dismissed by most of the critics reviewing the French Crime Wave series here in town. They seem to regard it as some merely serviceable sub-Dirty Harry potboiler with Montand and not much else, whereas I thought it was a stunning piece of work. Quite different from Serie Noire, but easily as good, maybe even better. A twisty, darkly comic nailbiter with a great score and an incredible cast.

Unfortunately, the prints looked pretty old, so I'm not harboring any hopes of either of these great films getting a proper DVD release. I'd love to get some suggestions from the more knowledgeable members for other Corneau films to see, or hear any thoughts anyone might have on the above films, especially on the ending of Serie Noire (I loved its use of tacky period Francopop, BTW) or the overall whole of poor, maligned Police Python 357.

Perkins Cobb

#2 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:55 pm

I ended up liking Police Python 357 also, although I remained unconvinced throughout the first half. It's a tawdry film, heavily influenced by the Italian polizziotteschi of the same era. But Corneau seems so committed to his crude vision that, by the end, the mounting, over-the-top action (and melodrama, in the scenes with Simone Signoret) takes on an epic quality. It's great trash.

Unfortunately, I was stymied by my plans to continue with Corneau when MoMA's screening of his next film, La Menace (1977), sold out well before the start time on Monday. Never had that happen on a weeknight before. I hope that (and Serie Noire, which was playing at the Film Forum the same night) turn up again.

royalton

#3 Post by royalton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:37 pm

I also was reminded me of the Italians while watching. It's definitely over the top, and tawdry in its way, but I also think it's brilliant in a crazy way.

I guess it might say something for its future in exhibition since it inexplicably sold out, whereas I don't believe Serie Noire did.

Perkins Cobb

#4 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Alas, I think it had more to do in this case with MoMA's big theater being out of commission for some reason ... but yes, I'm hoping they'll do one of the occasional "Redux" screenings (for shows that sell out or get screwed up somehow) in a few months.

During Police Python, incidentally, we were all crammed into the back rows of the Alliance Francaise theater because the air conditioning had sprung a leak all over the best seats, so let me be the first to propose a "Corneau Curse" throughout the borough of Manhattan.

Camera Obscura

Re: Alain Corneau

#5 Post by Camera Obscura » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:38 pm

I don't think it ever got an English-friendly release and kind of hard to find outside France, so I though I might as well post it here.
To my surprise Alain Corneau's Série Noire (1979) with Patrick Dewaere was released on a new English-friendly DVD from Studio Canal in the Benelux last year. Just stumbled over it in a local DVD-shop for just 6,99 euro.
1.66:1 anamorphic, French audio 2.0 with English, Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Image quality looks excellent (probably the same transfer as the earlier 2003 French release).

http://www.azur.be/nl/catalog/detail/dv ... 0582722796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#6 Post by perkizitore » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Does this have English subs too?

Yojimbo

#7 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 am

Camera Obscura wrote:I don't think it ever got an English-friendly release and kind of hard to find outside France, so I though I might as well post it here.
To my surprise Alain Corneau's Série Noire (1979) with Patrick Dewaere was released on a new English-friendly DVD from Studio Canal in the Benelux last year. Just stumbled over it in a local DVD-shop for just 6,99 euro.
1.66:1 anamorphic, French audio 2.0 with English, Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Image quality looks excellent (probably the same transfer as the earlier 2003 French release).

http://www.azur.be/nl/catalog/detail/dv ... 0582722796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've got this film on video in original unsubbed French recording: unfortunately my spoken French, or ability to translate French spoken at normal pace isn't good enough to get too much of the dialogue so I've been on the lookout for an English-subbed version.
This site doesn't seem to have an English language version
Do you have any sites with English language versions that sell it?

Update: have just placed the order, aided and abetted by Online Translater at
http://translation.imtranslator.net/tra ... ?dir=nl/en

Yojimbo

#8 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 am

perkizitore wrote:Does this have English subs too?
Yep!

Camera Obscura

#9 Post by Camera Obscura » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am

Yojimbo wrote:
Yep!
Really? That would be great. Do you have a link with some confirmation, because I can't find a mention of English subs anywhere. Does the coffret 3 Polars De Alain Corneau - Coffret - Le Choix Des Armes + Série Noire + Police Pyhton 357 come with English subs as well? All sites I checked claim it's French only. Can anyone confirm this?

Yojimbo

#10 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:44 am

Camera Obscura wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:
Yep!
Really? That would be great. Do you have a link with some confirmation, because I can't find a mention of English subs anywhere. Does the coffret 3 Polars De Alain Corneau - Coffret - Le Choix Des Armes + Série Noire + Police Pyhton 357 come with English subs as well? All sites I checked claim it's French only. Can anyone confirm this?
The link you provided mentions "Ondertitels:.Portugees, Engels, Nederlands" for 'Serie Noire'
I've never known French labels to provide French subs for French language films so I suspect you're out of luck with that box-set

Camera Obscura

#11 Post by Camera Obscura » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 am

Yes, you're right, the link I provided mentions Dutch, English, Spanish and Portuguese subs, but that's the Dutch edition. Different cover. That's the one I own and I only vouch for that one. I thought Perzikitore asked about the French DVD, so I was wondering where you got the info that the French dvd had English subs as well. Could very well be the case, but again, I can't find any site confirming this.

Yojimbo

#12 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 am

Camera Obscura wrote:Yes, you're right, the link I provided mentions Dutch, English, Spanish and Portuguese subs, but that's the Dutch edition. Different cover. That's the one I own and I only vouch for that one. I thought Perzikitore asked about the French DVD, so I was wondering where you got the info that the French dvd had English subs as well. Could very well be the case, but again, I can't find any site confirming this.
I thought he was asking about the film, generally, which is why I referred him to the one I bought via the link you provided.
But, as I said, I've never known French labels to provide English subs to French films.
Perhaps its a cultural thing, or condition of Government subsidies?

martin

#13 Post by martin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Unfortunately not. I have this dvd, and there are no subs, not even French.