Angel-A (Luc Besson, 2005)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
tavernier

Angel-A (Luc Besson, 2005)

#1 Post by tavernier » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:57 pm

Apparently Armond White loves Besson.

Antoine Doinel

#2 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Here's the trailer.

lord_clyde

#3 Post by lord_clyde » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Hell yeah, I'm glad he got that Arthur and the Invisibles nonsense out of his system.

godardslave

#4 Post by godardslave » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:16 pm

did someone say "wings of desire" ?

tavernier

#5 Post by tavernier » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:34 pm

godardslave wrote:did someone say "wings of desire" ?
No, I don't think so. :lol:

Cinesimilitude

#6 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:13 pm

This looks pretty good, and Rasmussen was sexy as hell in Femme Fatale. I hope Besson doesnt make it too supernatural, the glowing eyes bit is pretty cliche and uninteresting.

godardslave

#7 Post by godardslave » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:18 pm

tavernier wrote:
godardslave wrote:did someone say "wings of desire" ?
No, I don't think so. :lol:
hehe, its so obvious, i want to say it again. luc besson has copied Wim Wender's Wings of Desire. :|

tavernier

#8 Post by tavernier » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:15 pm

godardslave wrote:hehe, its so obvious, i want to say it again. luc besson has copied Wim Wender's Wings of Desire. :|
Well, better Besson than some Hollywood hack.

Oh yeah: I forgot.

Dylan

#9 Post by Dylan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:51 pm

So, has anybody seen this yet? It looks like a lot of fun, but is it as Wings of Desire meets Girl on the Bridge as it looks?

Nothing

#10 Post by Nothing » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:26 pm

erm, this was made and released before Arthur. It's a two year old movie.

miless

#11 Post by miless » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:47 pm

Nothing wrote:erm, this was made and released before Arthur. It's a two year old movie.
it may be, but it is just now getting theatrical distribution in the states (I just saw a trailer for it a week ago before The Lives of Others)

Antoine Doinel

#12 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:03 pm

Yeah, the North American distribution for the film has been slow and somewhat scattershot. It had a brief run here in Montreal last January for about two weeks.

lord_clyde

#13 Post by lord_clyde » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Nothing wrote:erm, this was made and released before Arthur. It's a two year old movie.
So. . . he didn't get that Arthur and the Invisibles nonsense out of his system?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Angel-A (Luc Besson, 2005)

#14 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:04 pm

I can't believe we have a thread for this (though, tellingly, no posts were made in it after it was released), but then again, the forum was a different beast 15 years ago...

I thought this was laughably bad in its bald-faced wish fulfillment, and honestly, that wouldn't have bothered me if the film was capable of showing one single moment of chemistry between the toweringly tall platinum blonde angel and Jamel Debbouze. You'd think, in a Splash/Wings of Desire ripoff wherein one of the two has to invariably give up their entire way of life for the other, that there would be some kind of spark to drive that forward. It does not help matters much that we are told over and over that Debbouze is secretly sensitive, intelligent, a diamond in the rough etc but as far as I can tell and as far as we are shown, this is a well-guarded secret as he is a total moron for the entirety of the film and his so-called "love" for the titular savior looks a lot like clinging onto her because no one who looks remotely like her has ever given him any attention. I can understand the appeal of this to the losers in the audience, wanting this to happen to them-- many movies satisfy a viewer's desires in some way-- but I think the film flatters anyone who sees some aspect of themselves in this unpleasant "lucky" guy (Some variation of "Jeez, I'm bad but this guy completely sucks and she still fell for him," presumably). I did find it amusing how often a two shot of the central couple required Rie Rasmussen to literally crane her neck down into frame like a swan, though, so the movie had that going for it

beamish14

Re: Angel-A (Luc Besson, 2005)

#15 Post by beamish14 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:11 pm

I always thought this film was Besson trying to consciously make something in the Cinema du Look aesthetic that he was associated with at the start of his career, but it makes plainly obvious that he doesn’t have the vision or originality of Beineix or Carax