The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Jean Delannoy, 1957)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
dr. calamari

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Jean Delannoy, 1957)

#1 Post by dr. calamari » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Just saw this a couple of nights ago, after not having seen it for 35 years...it was much better than I remembered. Much more "realistic" than the RKO 1939 version, less stagy acting (and overacting) and not so eager to make Quasimodo as much of a sympathetic character. Featuring Anthony Quinn, Gina Lollobrigida and interestingly Alain Cuny as Claude Frollo...I'd only seen him in La Dolce Vita prior to this. Also, the color photography was fantastic, it really added to the overall impression.

Anyone else seen it?

Person

#2 Post by Person » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:34 pm

No, I haven't seen it, but it has intrigued me over the years. I believe that the R1 DVD is 2.35:1, but, alas, washed-out and non-anamorphic.

I also ought to check out the 1982 TV movie version with Anthony Hopkins, which is said to be very good, too.

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:57 pm

They used to show it all the time when I was a kid on the afterschool ABC "4:30 Movie" all the time, along with the Oliver Reed "Curse of the Wereworlf", and the "Phantom of the Opera" with Herbert Lom. "Curse of Frankenstein", all the lurid european remakes from across the pond. But that's the last time I've seen it, a couple decades ago. Generally on a par with the above titles if I remember correct.

dr. calamari

#4 Post by dr. calamari » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:23 am

Person wrote:No, I haven't seen it, but it has intrigued me over the years. I believe that the R1 DVD is 2.35:1, but, alas, washed-out and non-anamorphic.

I also ought to check out the 1982 TV movie version with Anthony Hopkins, which is said to be very good, too.
I didn't find the color to be washed out at all, on the contrary it was pretty vivid. The film is non-anamorphic, but, I only paid $6.75 or thereabouts for it, so it'll have to do unless or until something better comes along.

Never seen the Hopkins version, although I have seen a picture of AH as Quasimodo...kind of looks like he's trying to channel Charles Laughton or something.

pro-bassoonist

#5 Post by pro-bassoonist » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:43 am

I had high hopes that after Mr. Quinn passed away this film would be given a SE of some sort. Unfortunately, the non-anamorphic disc remains the only release on the market. It is in a dire need of some serious restoration as well.

Pro-B