Les Nuits de Port Said (John Alton/Kirsanoff/Mittler, 1931)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:50 am

So I'm juggling a couple of names of some of the boards' recently discussed 'coup de coeurs' in my head when that serendidpity thing happens. I read a small entry about how the above film was started by Paramount in France with Kirsanoff at the helm and standing alongside, 'prise de vue,' JOHN ALTON no less.

IMDb doesn't list any Alton prior to 1933 as DoP but just notes that he travelled through France and Argentina before arriving in Hollywood in 1937.

Kirsanoff got bounced after a month of shooting and was replaced by Leo Mittler. It seems that Naddie the Missus survived the night of the long knives and ended up alongside names like Oskar Homolka as well as Alfred Junge in the art department.

Anyone ever seen the end product or know anything about this escapade??
Herr Shreck/Knappen??

Knappen

#2 Post by Knappen » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:25 am

No

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Nada. SOunds interesting though... keep hunting.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#4 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:55 pm

I'll take that as a 'no' then.

If I turn up anything I'll post my findings.

Knappen

#5 Post by Knappen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:11 am

According to this very good listof coming releases on Dvdclassik, Le Crâneur by Kirsanoff is coming out 20 march. As this film is from 1955 I don't know if it can be said to have much to do with Ménilmontant or the other films that have created an interest for this director.

Zazou dans le Metro

#6 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:28 am

Knappen wrote:According to this very good listof coming releases on Dvdclassik, Le Crâneur by Kirsanoff is coming out 20 march. As this film is from 1955 I don't know if it can be said to have much to do with Ménilmontant or the other films that have created an interest for this director.
According to Truffaut,at the time a Cahiers young Turk,this film was unworthy of any criticism due to its total lack of 'ambition'. A sentiment echoed by Wheeler Winston Dixon who dismisses the director of the startling Menilmontant's last three films as 'rather ordinary'.

By the way. According to' L' ouevre singuliere de Kirsanoff '. Kirsanoff wrote glowingly about his fond memories of Alton's artistry on Port Said but unfortunately the evidence will remain in his head as there are no traces of the footage left.