Jerzy Skolimowski

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
MichaelB

Jerzy Skolimowski

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Jerzy Skolimowski (1938-)

"For me, the most important thing is the story. I'm telling the story. And I'm not speculating on what it means more than it is. It's a story. And of course, one can always find some additional interpretation and some theoretical sightseeing into it."

FEATURE FILMOGRAPHY
  • Identification Marks: None (Rysopis, 1964) - IMDB
    Blu-ray and DVD: included in Hands Up!/Identification Marks None: Two Films by Jerzy Skolimowski (BFI, region coding TBC)
    Telewizja Kinopolska's barebones, analogue SD-sourced DVD is now redundant.

Walkover (Walkower, 1965) - IMDB
    Blu-ray: a barebones disc is included in the second volume of Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema, but Second Run's Blu-ray edition (June 2023) will have far more curatorial context.

Barrier (Bariera, 1966) - IMDB
    Blu-ray: to be released by Second Run in June 2023, hopefully with improved subtitles on the below.

Le Départ (1967) - IMDB
    As of April 2023, available on Netflix.

Hands Up! (Ręce do góry, 1967/81) - IMDB
    Blu-ray and DVD: included in Hands Up!/Identification Marks None: Two Films by Jerzy Skolimowski (BFI, region coding TBC)
    Note that the above only includes the revised 1981 version; the 1967 version was included on Malavida's long-OOP DVD Haut les mains! (with French subtitles)

Deep End (1970) - IMDB
    Blu-ray/DVD: BFI Flipside edition (region-free)

The Adventures of Gerard (1970) - IMDB

King, Queen, Knave (Herzbube, 1972) - IMDB

The Shout (1978) - IMDB
    DVD: Network (Region 2 PAL). An earlier British DVD release on Prism is vastly inferior - the Network disc contains a decent transfer (reproducing the artistically crucial Dolby Stereo effect), a commentary and a substantial PDF section including the complete script.
    Blu-ray: Network (Region B)

Moonlighting (1982) - IMDB
    DVD: Trinity Entertainment (Region 1 NTSC)
    Blu-ray: Screenbound

Success Is The Best Revenge (1984) - IMDB
    DVD: Reputedly out in Greece

The Lightship (1985) - IMDB
    DVD: Paramount (Region 1 NTSC)

Torrents of Spring (Acque di primavera, 1989) - IMDB
    DVD: Miramax (Region 1 NTSC)

30 Door Key (Ferdydurke, 1991) - IMDB
    DVD: Vision (Region 0 PAL, in English)

Four Nights With Anna (Cztery noce z Anną…, 2008) - IMDB
    DVD: Gutek Film (Region 0 PAL, Polish with optional English subtitles)

Essential Killing (2010)
    Separate Blu-ray/DVD releases from TiM Film Studio (Poland). English subtitles claimed but not verified (though the film has so little spoken content that this may not matter).

11 Minutes (2015)
    DVD:

EO (2022)
    Blu-ray: BFI/Criterion
SHORT FILMOGRAPHY
  • The Menacing Eye (Oko wykol, 1960) - IMDB

Little Hamlet (Hamles, 1960) - IMDB
    Available on YouTube (doesn't need subtitles).

Erotic (Erotyk, 1960) - IMDB
    Available on YouTube (in unsubtitled Polish).

Your Money Or Your Life (Pieniądze albo życie, 1961) - IMDB

Sculpture (Rzezba, 1961)

Boxing (Boks, 1962) - IMDB

Dialogue (Dialóg 20-40-60, 1968) - IMDB
    Skolimowski directed the first segment (The 20-Year-Olds of this three-part portmanteau film.
ADDITIONAL FILMOGRAPHY
  • Con Bravura (aka The Nun/Zakonnika, d. Andrzej Munk, 1958)
    Skolimowski played a small acting role.

Innocent Sorcerers (Niewinni czarodzieje, d. Andrzej Wajda, 1960)
    Skolimowski co-wrote the screenplay and played a small role as an ineffectual boxer named Hamlet.
    DVDs: Polart (Region 0 NTSC, Polish with English subtitles)

Tariff Two (Drufa taryfa, d. MichaŁ Elster, 1962)
    Skolimowski co-wrote the screenplay.

Knife in the Water (Nóż w wodzie, d. Roman Polanski, 1962) - IMDB
    Skolimowski co-wrote the screenplay.
    DVDs: Criterion (Region 1 NTSC, Polish with English subtitles), Anchor Bay (Region 2 PAL, Polish with English subtitles)

A Frame of Mind (Sposób bycia, d. Jan Rybkowski, 1967)
    Skolimowski played Leopold.

A Slip-Up (Poslizg, d. Jan Łomnicki, 1972) - IMDB
    Skolimowski wrote the screenplay and played the garage owner.

Circle of Deceit (Die Fälschung, d. Volker Schlöndorff, 1981) - IMDB
    Skolimowski played Hoffmann.

Mesmerized (d. Michael Laughlin, 1984) - IMDB
    Skolimowski co-wrote the screenplay

White Nights (d. Taylor Hackford, 1985) - IMDB
    Skolimowski played Colonel Chaiko.

Big Shots (d. Robert Mandel, 1987) - IMDB
    Skolimowski played Doc.

The Hollow Men (Motyw cienia, d. Joseph Kay/Michael Lyndon, 1993) - IMDB
    Skolimowski produced the film (directed by his sons)

Mars Attacks! (d. Tim Burton, 1996) - IMDB
    Skolimowski played Dr. Ziegler.

LA Without A Map (d. Mika Kaurismäki, 1998) - IMDB
    Skolimowski played the Minister.

Operacja samum (d. Władysław Pasikowski, 1999)
    Skolimowski played Hayes (the CIA chief)

Before Night Falls (d. Julian Schnabel, 2000) - IMDB
    Skolimowski played the Professor.

Eastern Promises (d. David Cronenberg, 2007) - IMDB
    Skolimowski played Uncle Stepan.
CRITERION FORUM DISCUSSIONS
OTHER RESOURCES

to follow
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cold Bishop

#2 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:41 am

ranaing83 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:18 pm
Currently, the Anthology Film Archives here in NYC are running (or should I say, finishing up) a Skolimowski retro. They are giving special attention to a film I have been dying to see for a long long time, Deep End (they have a brand new 35mm print). I'm going tonight, so I figured I'd ask what the opinions on the film and Skolimowski in general are. I am a big fan, based on what I have seen. I think his films would make a very nice eclipse set at the least.

From the Anthology Website:
DEEP END
by Jerzy Skolimowski
SPECIAL REVIVAL PREMIERE – BRAND-NEW 35MM PRINT!
Anthology is thrilled to revive Jerzy Skolimowski's neglected masterpiece DEEP END, in a beautiful, brand-new 35mm print! Only the second English-language film made by Skolimowski (the subject of an Anthology retrospective, running November 30-December 6 – see pages 8-9), DEEP END is an uncanny portrait of youth and sexual awakening, with a tone and mood entirely its own. Focusing on 16-year-old Mike, an attendant at a suburban-London bathhouse, and his preoccupation with his beautiful co-worker Susan, DEEP END demonstrates Skolimowski's acute sensitivity to the emotional turmoil and destructiveness at the heart of awakening desire, as well as his formidable sense of place and period. As Mike's interest in Susan deepens into obsession, DEEP END's tone becomes at once darker and more comic, culminating in a nocturnal journey through the seedy underbelly of early-seventies London, as seen from Mike's wide-eyed perspective. It's an exploration that Skolimowski invests with all the excitement and fear experienced by a fragile and impressionable mind as it collides with a strange, mysterious, and scary new world, and it's conveyed with a cinematic mastery that is simply breathtaking.
With its emotional and psychological frankness, its wonderful performances, and a score by Cat Stevens and Can, DEEP END is one of the greatest and most under-seen films of the seventies!

“Funny, touching, sexy, surreal and tragic – all at the same time and all with the sting of a punch to the nose.
I noticed it scheduled in Seattle, and I can only hope the NW Film Center picks it up. Doubt they will however.

pemmican

#3 Post by pemmican » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:19 am

It plays Vancouver soon, at the Pacific Cinematheque. I wasn't enjoying the poor quality of the DVD boot of it I picked up - it had a distracting stutter - so I'm looking forward to the new print, and, I hope, a new DVD release.

Did people notice he had a bit part in EASTERN PROMISES?

I liked THE SHOUT as well, but no so much THE LIGHTSHIP - haven't seen anything else. What else is noteworthy by him?

A>

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:12 am

Moonlighting (1982) is superb - and when I rewatched it recently for the first time since it came out I found it had dated amazingly little considering it was literally torn from the headlines (it's one of the fastest professional 35mm productions ever made, directly inspired by the Polish military crackdown of December 1981, it was ready for Cannes the following May).

True, the subject of exploited Polish workers in London has suddenly become highly topical again, but the other surprise was that it was so quiet and understated, with an almost Bressonian fatalism about the central situation (Polish workman Nowak - Jeremy Irons, of all people, but he's very good - is the only member of his team who understands English and knows what's going on back home, but decides not to tell the others because it might disrupt their work).

I caught Deep End at the NFT's Skolimowski retrospective in 1983, and I don't think I've had a (legal) chance to see it since. But The Shout has recently had an excellent DVD release on Network Video in the UK, with an anamorphic transfer, commentary and substantial PDF content - at a ridiculously low price.

ranaing83

#5 Post by ranaing83 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:54 am

Just caught Deep End, and I really really loved it. It's one of those unique films that just don't get made anymore. I don't think I've ever seen a film quite like it. The story is both light and dark, and the mix Skolimowski achieves creates this unusual and interesting atmosphere. At times it feels like a coming of age comedy, but it slowly shifts into something more complex. As for the print, it was, for the most part, gorgeous. The opening credits are probably the poorest in terms of quality, but after that everything really clears up. With a nice digital cleaning the film would look pristine (hint, hint Criterion). Now I really, really want to see Moonlighting, I'm angry I missed it.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:56 am

ranaing83 wrote:Now I really, really want to see Moonlighting, I'm angry I missed it.
It's out on DVD, but I haven't sampled this release so can't comment on its quality. But at only $10 from Amazon it's probably worth a gamble.

David Ehrenstein

#7 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Skolimowski is one of the great filmmakers of the 60's who has been reduced to being an actor as he can't get film projects off the ground anymore.

His dyptich Rysopis (aka. Identifiction Marks: None) and its' sequel Walkover are superb. He stars in both. In fact he got his start as an actor as both he and Polanski appear in Wajda's Innocent Sorcerers. He co-scripted Knife in the Water.

Bariera is an ABSOLUTE FUCKING MASTERPIECE OF WORLD CINEMA.

Le Depart is quite lively and amusing. After that he made a lavish costume comedy Adventures of Gerard based on a Conan Doyle story starring John Moulder-Brown, Claudia Cardinale, Jack Hawkins and many others. It has barely been seen at all.

Deep End is quite good as are King Queen and Knave (an adaptation fo a Nabokov story in the stye of Frank Tashlin with John Moulder-Brown done up to recemble Jonathan Rosenbaum) and Torrents of Spring - a Yurgenev adaptation with Nastassia Kiski.

In and around all of this is Hands Up! which bega as a black and whie Polish film shot in 1967 but immediately banned. Skolimomski didn't recue and complete it until 1982 when he added color footage of Berui after the war --which everyone on the planet must see.

David Ehrenstein

#8 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:04 pm

It's "just a total lack of interest in the Polish/Czech New Wave?"

We have been taught to forget the past and regard the present as "the future" -- held out in front of us like the mechanical rabbitt that keeps dog races going.

Did you know that The Shout was the first Dolby movie?

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:09 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:Did you know that The Shout was the first Dolby movie?
I'm surprised a Ken Russell fan like yourself doesn't know that the first Dolby Stereo film was actually Lisztomania, which came out nearly three years earlier! The Shout also post-dated Star Wars, the first Dolby Stereo film to gain wide release.

On the other hand, I believe The Shout was the first non-studio film to use Dolby Stereo, and it's certainly one of the outstanding early examples of the medium - fortunately, Network's new DVD does an excellent job of conveying the original effect.

Gropius

#11 Post by Gropius » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:05 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:Bariera is an ABSOLUTE FUCKING MASTERPIECE OF WORLD CINEMA.
Yes - that was in my top three for the 1960s list project. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to see the other 60s stuff, but if Barrier is representative of Skolimowski as a filmmaker, then he's certainly one of the greats, rivalling almost anything the French or the Czechs turned out (why is Polish cinema - other than Kieslowski at his most saccharine/religious and occasionally Wajda - so underappreciated in the West?).

Barmy

#12 Post by Barmy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:10 am

I saw a few of the Jerzy's at the Anthology retro and every single one of them bored the living shit out of me. God I hate zaniness when it's coupled with amateurish narcissism. Moonlighting just reeked of 80s big hair and mascara and was stupid and implausible beyond belief. Haven't seen Deep End yet but based on the description it might be good--I'll check it out later this week. But often there's a reason why obscure directors are obscure.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:03 am

Barmy wrote:Moonlighting just reeked of 80s big hair and mascara and was stupid and implausible beyond belief.
Did the version you saw star Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd? Because that description bears no resemblance to Skolimowski's film.

For starters, there are hardly any women in it, and the Polish workmen didn't go in for make-up and elaborate hairdos.

Barmy

#14 Post by Barmy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:01 pm

I did like the ending of Moonlighting, when Dave and Maddie finally got it on. Despite Cybill's big hair and mascara.

But seriously, I'm referring to the endless scenes at the grocery store checkout line, and the implausibility of Jeremy's scam. And I would have preferred more politics and less drama about home renovation. Or did the home renovation drama symbolize the Polish situation? Whatever.

Le Depart was awful--talk about "quirky". I bet Wessy Anderson would love it.

The other two I saw were his first two flix, Rysopis and Walkover, which I found to be boring and hard to follow. Not helped by the murky prints. Still, in those, some nascent skill was evident.

I skipped the screening of Bariera in order to see a 35mm print of Salo so gorgeous, brilliant and shimmering that I'm thinking of serving pupu at my next dinner party. But I digress.

Deep End is more quirk. Kudos to JS for getting Paramount to finance it. There is certainly a theme throughout the films I saw (excluding Moonlighting) of characters acting in a non-realistic way. I prefer films where the people on screen behave in a manner I can relate to. Can you really justify that interminable diamond-hunting scene? Or argue that the boy is anything other than an insufferable berk? But I can appreciate JS for his somewhat original approach. I certainly liked the ending of Deep End--I had been wanting to do the same thing throughout the film.

Ingeri

Deep End by Jerzy Skolimowski

#15 Post by Ingeri » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:59 am

I recently had the opportunity to see a georgous 35mm restored print of Deep End by Jerzy Skolimowski, and would like to add it to my DVD collection, but I wonder about a "very nice quality print" "DVD-R" I found for sale online at a website that specializes in Hard To Find Films.

I've never purchased an unauthorized DVD online before, and I'm basically just wondering if I'm flushing my $19.99 down the toilet.

BTW, I thought the film had some incredibly interesting 1971 sequences of London's XXX district in it, with a wicked-cool soundtrack. The film's 15 year old main character "Mike" (played by John Moulder-Brown), has a kind of psychological duel with a naked cardboard cut-out of the other central character "Susan" (played by Jane Asher), who is the object of his obsessions. He lugs it around frantically looking for her, and ends up confronting her with it in public. Skolimowski interestingly included some born-again teenagers (Mike's contemporaries), who wander around the dive club neighborhood, trying to "save" people by singing gospel.

A swimming pool in the bath house that Susan and Mike work in, keeps reappearing throughout the film, which eventually gets emptied, and then refilled. At one point he throws her cardboard cut-out likeness into it, and we're left with an absolutely georgous shot of it/her serenly floating on her/it's back. He jumps in, and tries to swim and make love to it, which turns into her. Other underwater sequences are beautifully filmed, and throughout, Skolimowski makes great use of the color red to heighten all of the sexual tension in the story, of which there is plenty. British "blonde-bombshell" sex symbol Diana Dors has a great part in the film where she plays an over-sexed middle aged woman in the bath house, who virtually molests Mike (wonerfully "boyish" Moulder-Brown).

Great film, it's really too bad no-one's officially released it on DVD. Definitely overlooked, and worth revisiting. The only one of Skolimowski's significant films to remain locked away in relative obscurity.
Last edited by Ingeri on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

MichaelB

Re: Deep End by Jerzy Skolimowski

#16 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:03 am

Ingeri wrote:The only one of Skolimowski's significant films to remain locked away in relative obscurity.
If only that were true - unless you know of a source of Skolimowski DVDs that I don't?

Ingeri

#17 Post by Ingeri » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:08 am

MichaelB wrote:
Ingeri wrote:The only one of Skolimowski's significant films to remain locked away in relative obscurity.
If only that were true - unless you know of a source of Skolimowski DVDs that I don't?
Amazon

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:36 am

Moonlighting, The Shout and The Lightship, plus a handful of titles he acted in. Oh, and out-of-print VHSes of Hands Up and Success is the Best Revenge.

Hardly a comprehensive overview.

mikeohhh

#19 Post by mikeohhh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:17 am

I would put good money on Deep End coming from Criterion. I dunno, I just don't see Paramount going the Anthology route for a 35mm restoration of a relative obscurity like this (was this even released on VHS??). This is pure speculation on my behalf, but I have a feeling about this one.

mikeohhh

#20 Post by mikeohhh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:23 am

Oh Yeah*, what Can songs from Soundtracks are in Deep End?

*(best song on Tago Mago???)

Ingeri

#21 Post by Ingeri » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:31 am

MichaelB wrote:
You're right actually, I got a little carried away trying to make a point. Certainly not the only significant, neglected, Skolimowski film.
mikeohhh wrote:I would put good money on Deep End coming from Criterion.....This is pure speculation on my behalf, but I have a feeling about this one.
They could issue Barrier, and cram Deep End in there as a special feature, or vice versa. Like they did with Jarmusch's Stranger Than Paradise and Permanent Vacation. Or like Milestone did with Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep and My Brother's Wedding. I guess the world is their (Criterion's) oyster, plenty of treasure out there.....

Here's a compelling 1967 NY Times review of Skolimowski's Barrier by Bosley Crowther I found, after it screened at the '67 New York Film Festival. Enjoy.....(note the way he assumes Skolimowski's future place in film history, as he "puts him into the same category as Jean-Luc Godard").
David Ehrenstein wrote:It's "just a total lack of interest in the Polish/Czech New Wave?"
SEPT. 27th, 1967 NY TIMES REVIEW by Bosley Crowther

HAVING already contributed to the New York Film Festival a conventional New Wave comedy, "Le Départ," Jerzy Skolimowski, the young Polish director, was represented last night by a film that, in more ways than one, puts him into the same category as Jean-Luc Godard, who is also a festival favorite.

Mr. Skolimowski's "Barrier" is a bright, sardonic fantasy that is not only much more indigenously Polish than "Le Départ," but, like Godard's work, is also a provocative personal statement that conforms to no predigested ideologies. Reffish and irreverent, "Barrier" has the exuberance of a youthful work, executed with technical facility and control more often associated with the work of an old pro than with that of a youngster.

It is not a particularly easy film. However, its bizarre juxtaposition of commonplace and fantastic incidents to give them surreal importance is so much a part of the film's point of view that seldom do its obscurities seem annoyingly arbitrary. Quite simply, it's fun to watch.

Spiritually, "Barrier" is a continuation of "Identification Marks: None" and "Walkover," Mr. Skolimowski's tales of alienated youth in a socialist society that were shown at the third New York Film Festival.

In "Barrier," his youthful protagonist, a restless medical student ("I sold myself to the state for a scholarship," he announces glumly but not without humor) lives in a Warsaw that is most often a dreamlike extension of a banal reality.

In the course of one day, he meets and falls in love with a pretty girl and, in the process, has Fellini-like visions of his position in what has been planned as a perfect society. Unlike Mr. Fellini's visions, which generally are pretty plush and consciously decadent, Mr. Skolimowski's are made up of slight variations on ordinary people and places and events. "Holy Week," says the man in the bloodmobile eerily, "is the time to sell blood."

The performers are attractive, but almost anonymous, even Jan Nowicki, who plays the young man, and Joanna Szczerbic (Mrs. Skolimowski), who plays the girl. Mr. Skolimowski's camera is more interested in total images than in pictures of individual people. The result is a work of original cinema composition that also has certain timely political and social interest.

David Ehrenstein

#22 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:53 am

The rarest of all is Adventures of Gerard -- a spectacular starring John Moulder-Brown, Jack Hawkins and Claudia Cardinale, based on an Arthur Conan Doyle story. He billed himself as "Yurek Skolimoswki" for this film and declared it was made by his "twin brother."

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:19 am

Well, here's a very pleasant surprise, and no mistake.

A copy has been ordered forthwith, but I'm really not too fussed about transfer quality - seeing these films at all will be enough of a bonus, and they appear to have English subtitles.

shirobamba

#24 Post by shirobamba » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:51 am

MichaelB wrote:Well, here's a very pleasant surprise, and no mistake.
Oh wow!!! That was about time! Now I can put to rest my French TV captures from God-knows-when.
Thanks a ton Michael for this info. Rushing to order...

zedz

#25 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Oh bugger, and I've just done a Merlin order. Great find, Michael.