Jerzy Skolimowski

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Hail_Cesar

Re: Jerzy Skolimowski

#101 Post by Hail_Cesar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:16 pm

JanPB wrote:
Hail_Cesar wrote:Anyone know why it is not available on amazon?!
It's listed on Amazon.fr but not available there. It's available at http://www.malavidafilms.com/dvd-haut-l ... 04-en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The page says "Not available for sale now" but it is in fact available (my order went through). They probably forgot to update the page.

--
Jan
Its just that with the extreme shipping prices from france I like to order more than just a film or two ;) I'd even prefer if it was available on amz.it since I could order all the french and italian dvds I want for far less expensive shipping prices...

...and 200 bucks of dvd :P

foe

#102 Post by foe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:36 am

Hail_Cesar wrote:
JanPB wrote:
Hail_Cesar wrote:Anyone know why it is not available on amazon?!
It's listed on Amazon.fr but not available there. It's available at http://www.malavidafilms.com/dvd-haut-l ... 04-en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The page says "Not available for sale now" but it is in fact available (my order went through). They probably forgot to update the page.

--
Jan
Its just that with the extreme shipping prices from france I like to order more than just a film or two ;) I'd even prefer if it was available on amz.it since I could order all the french and italian dvds I want for far less expensive shipping prices...

...and 200 bucks of dvd :P
as regards " the extreme shipping prices from france" I was charged around 15 Euros for 3 Maladiva's DVS's I bought from their site whereas French postage stamp stated it cost them 6 ](*,)

foe

#103 Post by foe » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Jerzy Skolimowski is watching "Rysopis" part I - part II

foe

#104 Post by foe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 am

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/defau ... 7B5F56EF47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foe

#105 Post by foe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:33 am

--> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XVAQRYE/ref ... Y4T4MRGYM7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:

foe

#106 Post by foe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:17 am

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjIGfBX8fo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

!

foe

#107 Post by foe » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:32 am

--> https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/LFF/Online/d ... =11minutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

!

foe

#108 Post by foe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:40 am

So nobody has seen it yet? Perhaps everyone is disappointed? Perhaps I can't be critical towards anything made by Jerzy because I loved every second of it. From one hand it has the momentum, the pace, the formal playfulness that could suggest it was made by some kind of cinematic prodigy, from the other typical for Skolimowski's cinema ingredients like sardonic humour and that kind of "surrealism on the small scale" are still very present here. All in all it just amazes me how defiant and subversive, how new-wave (regardless of the Hollywoodian staffage that he uses probably just to make a mockery of the action blockbusters) his cinema - almost 50 years after "Bariera" and "Rece do gory" - still is. Funny thing for every positive review in the Polish press there are 5 negative ones. Poor misguided fools....

RossyG

#109 Post by RossyG » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 am

foe wrote:So nobody has seen it yet?
I understand it only went on general release in Poland four days ago and has only been seen at festivals outside of that country, so early days yet.

I hope it gets picked up for a Blu-Ray release in the UK, as did the terrific Essential Killing before it. Hopefully Artificial Eye, Soda, or New Wave are interested.

MichaelB

#110 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 am

I saw it in Gdynia last month. I liked it well enough, but I think it's pretty minor Skolimowski overall (it's certainly no Barrier or Hands Up!) - although I certainly look forward to giving it a second viewing when it's out on Blu-ray.

The biggest problem for me was that the whole eleven-minute concept couldn't help but make it seem bitty and insubstantial, for all the undoubted cleverness of the staging. Although, that said, it certainly didn't feel like the work of a man not far off eighty.

(There's some dispute over whether Skolimowski was born in 1936 or 1938 - in such cases I generally assume that the earlier date is the correct one. This is almost always the case if we're talking about actresses, but holds up in quite a few other situations as well.)

Calvin

#111 Post by Calvin » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:48 am

In case anyone else missed this as well - there's a French Blu-Ray of The Lightship that was released a couple of years ago

hearthesilence

#112 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Jerzy Skolimowski had to cancel an appearance at the NYFF at the last minute due to health reasons, but it looks like he's made a nice recovery because he's scheduled for a few Q&A's around NY this month to promote EO, including a reception at Lincoln Center between screenings. (I've been to a few of those and they're very fun - IIRC they usually serve wine and beer as well as cured meats, cheeses, etc. but it's also just cool that you can chat with a favorite actor or filmmaker.)

MichaelB

#113 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:47 pm

Thanks to this Guardian interview spilling the beans today, I can reveal that I'm the overall curator of the upcoming BFI Southbank/Kinoteka Skolimowski retrospective that's running over March and April 2023 in the wake of EO's UK release in February. I was honoured to be asked, and intend to do him full justice.

beamish14

#114 Post by beamish14 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:00 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:47 pm
Thanks to this Guardian interview spilling the beans today, I can reveal that I'm the overall curator of the upcoming BFI Southbank/Kinoteka Skolimowski retrospective that's running over March and April 2023 in the wake of EO's UK release in February. I was honoured to be asked, and intend to do him full justice.
That is wonderful. I truly hope there is a possibility of this retrospective touring as well

hearthesilence

#115 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:47 pm
Congrats! I wish someone had done the same here in NYC, but at least his new film seems to be doing really well.

yoloswegmaster

#116 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:35 am

Looks like there will be a Skolimowski retrospective in the U.S., as the American Cinematheque will be screening Deep End, The Shout, EO, Essential Killing, Moonlighting, Walkover, Barrier, Identification Marks: None, and Hands Up next month.

MichaelB

#117 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:05 am

It's now looking all but certain that the London retrospective will include all eight of the Polish titles (the 1960s and 21st-century quartets) plus Le Départ, Dialogue 20-40-60, Deep End, The Shout, Moonlighting and The Lightship. I'm very much hoping to include Success is the Best Revenge as well, but we're still working on that one. The four missing titles (The Adventures of Gerard, King Queen Knave, Torrents of Spring, Ferdydurke) are ones that Skolimowski has pretty much disowned for various reasons. Screening dates TBC, but all are likely to be within the 28 March-30 April timespan.

Calvin

#118 Post by Calvin » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:22 pm

I'm hoping that I'll be able to make some time to travel down to catch some screenings at the Southbank. It would have been interesting to see the 'disowned' titles projected as they're only available from poor quality sources. I assume they're only production stills but the images at Park Circus for The Adventures of Gerard are gorgeous. Admittedly, I haven't seen the film. David Ehrenstein in the first page of this thread also seemed positive about King Queen Knave.

beamish14

#119 Post by beamish14 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:41 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:35 am
Looks like there will be a Skolimowski retrospective in the U.S., as the American Cinematheque will be screening Deep End, The Shout, EO, Essential Killing, Moonlighting, Walkover, Barrier, Identification Marks: None, and Hands Up next month.

A shame that all of them are DCPs, and very seldom-shown titles like Le Départ and Ferdydurke aren’t there

lzx

#120 Post by lzx » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Identification Marks: None has been added to Mubi US and opens with a Mubi logo. It is 70 minutes long and in a weird 1.81:1 aspect ratio. The transfer is presumably from the 2014 2K restoration, though the image looks quite rough: the entire film is quite soft, and fine details are practically nonexistent except in close-up shots. Considering the way it was made, though, I doubt it could look much better; it's certainly an improvement over the clips foe posted above.

Fred Holywell

#121 Post by Fred Holywell » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:41 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:35 am

A shame that all of them are DCPs, and very seldom-shown titles like Le Départ and Ferdydurke aren’t there
Le Départ is probably my favorite Skolimowski film. A real shame it's not more accessible, at least in the U.S. Malavida released a version restaurée on DVD in France a while ago.

MichaelB

#122 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:17 am

It’ll be showing in the BFI retrospective.

otis

#123 Post by otis » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:02 am

For those who can't make the retrospective, it's currently available on Netflix, at least in the UK.

MichaelB

#124 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:28 am

For clarity, "it" means Le Départ rather than the entire retrospective.

otis

#125 Post by otis » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:52 am

Yes - sorry if that wasn't clear!