Viewing classic movies on the web

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
gokinsmen

Re: Viewing classic movies on the web

#51 Post by gokinsmen » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:38 am

ozukarodzi wrote:Some great film to watch:
Celine And Julie Go Boating
Where Is the Friend's Home
I can't say enough about that channel (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=viv ... =playlists). She puts up a lot of canonized classics like the ones above, but even better are the many hidden gems she's uploaded ("hidden" at least to American viewers). I recently and randomly clicked on Kiju Yoshida's Bitter End of a Sweet Night...and holy crap did I have my mind blown. As its not even Yoshida's most acclaimed or well-known film, I'm not sure I EVER would have watched that film otherwise. I'm psyched to track down a proper copy and check out other "minor" films by great filmmakers.

psufootball07

Full Criterion Films on Youtube

#52 Post by psufootball07 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 am

How does everyone feel about this? I feel the company is being ripped off, even though it helps when analyzing certain scenes for papers, overall this is illegal, and should I alert Youtube to these copyright violations, such as the entire film Le Cercle Rouge being placed on Youtube? I pay money to see these films, and people do this type of shit.

Link to Le Cercle Rouge, broken down by parts as most Criterions are on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeS1SJcHe-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do I alert Criterion, youtube or somebody else to these clear copyright violations?

Edit: I clicked flag this video, but there are like 14 parts of the film, and it said infringes copyright, and only allowed myself to click it if it infringes "my" copyrights. Weird.

Awesome Welles

Re: Full Criterion Films on Youtube

#53 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am

Email Criterion to let them know it's happening. I think it's totally wrong and a horrible way for people to experience films. I'm all for trailers to appear on the website, even key scenes. But full films which are available on good DVDs is totally ridiculous.

psufootball07

#54 Post by psufootball07 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:35 am

Which Criterion person, Mulvaney? Either way I have seen way too many of their films up on the site lately. Some of which show the beginning including the wacky C logo or The Criterion Collection old banner at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsSNTjuJeFo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt

#55 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Do I alert Criterion, youtube or somebody else to these clear copyright violations?
The only people who can issue DMCA takedown notices are the copyright holders. You can notify Criterion, but it is up to them to ask YouTube to take the content down.

I do wonder, though, if Criterion are only licensees of a film if they are even authorized to request a takedown, even if the content is obviously taken from one of their DVDs.

The thing that disappoints me about this is not the obvious illegality (that ain't my problem), but the fact that people are going to see these great films for the first time not in a nice 35mm print, not on Blu-ray, and not even on a good DVD, but in 10-minute increments in low quality digital video. Almost makes you weep for the future of our film heritage.

Perkins Cobb

#56 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Matt wrote:the fact that people are going to see these great films for the first time not in a nice 35mm print, not on Blu-ray, and not even on a good DVD, but in 10-minute increments in low quality digital video.
What scares me is, we might all be doing that in five or ten years.

HarryLong

#57 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:15 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
Matt wrote:the fact that people are going to see these great films for the first time not in a nice 35mm print, not on Blu-ray, and not even on a good DVD, but in 10-minute increments in low quality digital video.
What scares me is, we might all be doing that in five or ten years.
I'll take up knitting first.

antnield

#58 Post by antnield » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:47 pm

The Amber Collective have started their own internet "channel" - entitled 'SideTV' - showcasing their various projects from over the years. The line-up will change monthly and should be of interest to anyone interested in British documentary cinema - their work fits in nicely with those being released by the BFI of late (the 'Land of Promise', GPO and National Coal Board collections, etc.). There's also a promise that their features will appear, meaning it's certainly worth keeping an eye out especially for the likes of 'In Fading Light', 'Seacoal', 'Dream On' and 'Shooting Magpies' - all deserving of a wider audience.

The link:

SideTV

And to Amber's website for more info on the collective, their output, and the like (including links to my DVD Times reviews):

Amber Films
Last edited by antnield on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#59 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm more familiar with their features (In Fading Light is particularly good), but Byker, listed on that site, is very good.

j99

#60 Post by j99 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:00 am

I watched Klute on youtube the other week. I would have preferred to watch it on DVD but it has yet to get a release in the UK, which is astonishing really, because it's one of the best American films from the 70s. I cannot understand why it has been allowed to disappear from the radar.

Stefan Andersson

Osvobozdhenie/Liberation (1968-71) USSR WWII epic on YouTube

#61 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Osvobozdhenie/Liberation (1968-71) USSR WWII epic on YouTube

Go here for a letterboxed clip from this truly epic WWII battle film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twtXdei1 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Several other clips on YouTube also. They show up screen right. Film title is shown in Cyrillic characters.

How do we get this film on DVD with English subs?

The Ruscico seems to be full frame.

MichaelB

#62 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:31 am

Matt wrote:I do wonder, though, if Criterion are only licensees of a film if they are even authorized to request a takedown, even if the content is obviously taken from one of their DVDs.
I would have thought so, if Criterion are the sole rightsholders for a particular territory. They should certainly be within their legal rights to request that YouTube take down the material within the US, and I assume this is technically feasible, since a load of music videos were only recently reinstated for British YouTube users following a rights settlement.
The thing that disappoints me about this is not the obvious illegality (that ain't my problem), but the fact that people are going to see these great films for the first time not in a nice 35mm print, not on Blu-ray, and not even on a good DVD, but in 10-minute increments in low quality digital video. Almost makes you weep for the future of our film heritage.
I know what you mean - I nearly linked to Les Jeux des Anges in the Borowczyk thread as an example of his earlier animated work, but decided not to because the YouTube version is borderline unwatchable. In fact, I think I know which VHS tape it was ripped from - and that was pretty dire to begin with even without the addition of rampant pixilation: the colours are very badly faded.

YouTube is brilliant for reference, and for uncovering stuff that I might not otherwise have been able to see (the guy who uploaded Borowczyk shorts has been doing the same for other rare animated titles, many of which I've been wanting to see for literally decades), but I'm not kidding myself that I've actually "seen" them until I've managed to watch a decent DVD at the very least.

Murdoch

#63 Post by Murdoch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 am

Not specifically film, but Hulu is now streaming free episodes of MST3000.

knives

#64 Post by knives » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Ishtar's avaliable on Hulu, crackle, and presumably netflix. It's an amazingly, especially considering its reputation, funny movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#65 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:53 pm

The first thirty minutes or so are hysterical, but it slows down a lot once they go Morocco (or wherever they go). I think there's a thread here somewhere for it...

knives

#66 Post by knives » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:45 pm

I didn't have a problem with the Ishtar stuff, blind camel is one of the funnier extended gags I've seen, but the New York stuff is definitely better and much more human than the Road to style-ings of the second portion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:16 pm

Some kind soul has posted Elaine May's masterpiece the Heartbreak Kid on Google Video for those who don't want to shell out $100+ for the OOP DVD

jsteffe

#68 Post by jsteffe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:04 am

In reply to Stefan Anderson and anyone else interested in Russian/Soviet films, Mosfilm now has an on-demand viewing/download site: http://cinema.mosfilm.ru. I've viewed and downloaded several films so far and am quite happy. Adding funds to your account is a little complicated--I nearly panicked when I saw the figures in Rubles instead of dollars in the "Verified by Visa" window. But it works, and you can select English as an option to view the site and manage your account.

They have all five parts of the mammoth Liberation/Osvobozhdenie available with subtitles for viewing online, or you can download DVD-quality files of the film directly from the website, albeit without subtitles. It uses the Silverlight platform for streaming, and the downloaded files are in the .WMV format, though with a DVD-quality bitrate. I was especially excited to see good quality subtitled versions of the musicals The Merry Fellows (dir. Alexandrov) and Cossacks of the Kuban (dir. Pyriev), though the latter's song subtitles could be more complete. All the transfers seem to be newly remastered from high definition. I also downloaded unsubtitled files of July Rain (dir. Khutsiev) and The Pig-Tender and the Shepherd (dir. Pyriev). The latter two files were in 960 x 540 (16 x 9, letterboxed 'scope) and 720 x 576 resolution, respectively. The download speed was very fast.

In the "Cinema" section of the website you can view a free rotating selection of live streaming films on a set schedule, as if in a movie theater.

So far this looks like a very promising service. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the films with subtitles.

Murdoch

#69 Post by Murdoch » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:41 pm

This Mubi user has posted (mostly youtube) links to a lot of unavailable films with subtitles including Erice's Quince Tree Sun, Hou's City of Sadness and Ruiz's City of Pirates - although he also posted a lot of links to films that have legitimate releases.

Matt

#70 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:13 pm

You can now watch 90,000 videos from British Pathe covering newsreel, sports footage, social history documentaries, entertainment and music stories from 1896 to 1976.

knives

#71 Post by knives » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:20 am

del Omar's Fuego en Castilla is on youtube. Seems to be ripped from a betamax. I'd never heard of the film or director before, but if the rest of his work is this good (imdb only lists this, but it seems he directed at least two others) than I would hope some kind soul could put his films into a boxset or at least more youtube videos.

Time

#72 Post by Time » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Signs of Life (Werner Herzog, 1968) w/ English subs

myrnaloyisdope

#73 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 pm

A pleasant surprise I found today, the 1908 short, L'Assassinat du Duc de Guise

Saturnome

#74 Post by Saturnome » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:51 pm

That's amazing! Thank you.

Edit : is it only me or the film crash at 16:54 ? That's very frustrating.

hearthesilence

#75 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:14 am

domino harvey wrote:Some kind soul has posted Elaine May's masterpiece the Heartbreak Kid on Google Video for those who don't want to shell out $100+ for the OOP DVD
I had no idea this was OOP....and yet the Farrelly remake is readily available on Amazon via VOD, widescreen and full-screen DVDs, Blu-Ray and even HD-DVD.