It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:27 pm 

zedz wrote:
Mamin's later Window to Paris (oh-so-zany Russian family discovers a magic portal to the City of Lights) trafficks in the same sort of simplistic Kulture Klash Komedy and is even more feeble.

Watching a shitty unsubtitled VHS of Window to Paris as a second-year Russian student and then being forced to orally regurgitate every plot point in this stupid film is #1 on my least favorite memories of watching movies ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:46 pm 

I stumbled across these screencaps and can't figure out where they're from...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:56 pm 

The first screen cap = Pretty Baby

The last screen cap = The Innocents (thanks for posting that image, I'm going to have nightmares tonight!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:27 pm 

The second looks like Vertinskaya as Ophelia in Kozintsev's Hamlet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:00 pm 

Second one is Night of the Hunter, no?

Edit: Scratch that. I'm way off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:33 am 

The one I'm looking for is a short animated film titled "Imprint" or something very much like that. It's a wordless film that I remember being animated charcoals or pencil drawings of some kind. The film shows these bald humanoid children forced to wear some kind of device on their backs, which their parents gently tighten. I remember the end vividly but I don't want to give it away, even with spoiler tags. Anyone know this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:09 pm 

Okay, I'm about ready to go out of my mind trying to remember the name of this, so hopefully someone can help: Its about this girl that is at a hotel in this small town on the coast of France and she meets this guy that goes to an ice-cream store all the time and at the end she couldn't keep up/stand his intellectual level (or his friends) and she ends up at a mental health institution. This movie, for what i remember was made maybe in the 70-80s and has a sort of melancholy mood. I can't recall any other details!!! Please help, my sanity depends on it.

Last edited by LQ on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:24 pm 

LQ wrote:
Okay, I'm about ready to go out of my mind trying to remember the name of this, so hopefully someone can help: Its about this girl (blond short-hair, not Jean Seberg) that is at a hotel in this small town on the coast of France and she meets this guy that goes to an ice-cream store all the time and at the end she couldn't keep up/stand his intellectual level (or his friends) and she ends up at a mental health institution. This movie, for what i remember was made maybe in the 70-80s and has a sort of melancholy mood. I can't recall any other details!!! Please help, my sanity depends on it.

Isabelle Huppert in La Dentellière

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm 

Zazou, you have saved me. Merci de votre aide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:21 pm 

Zazou dans le Metro wrote:
And Criterion released the laserdisc but hasn't put it out on DVD... More Huppert!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:31 pm 

jesus the mexican boi wrote:
And Criterion released the laserdisc but hasn't put it out on DVD... More Huppert!

I actually just emailed (read-begged) Criterion to release it. When I did a search I only found it on VHS, used, for 119 bucks.
More Huppert indeed!

Last edited by LQ on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:35 pm 

That there's hardly any Goretta available anywhere is a crime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 pm 

LQ wrote:
This movie, for what i remember was made maybe in the 70-80s and has a sort of melancholy mood.

Melancholy is putting it mildly. I saw this many years ago at a packed late night showing and when the lights went up I swear nobody made a move or made a sound for a good couple of minutes. I have never witnessed such a shell shocked audience before or since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:24 am 
suffers from a sweating spirit

LQ wrote:
jesus the mexican boi wrote:

I actually just emailed (read-begged) Criterion to release it. When I did a search I only found it on VHS, used, for 119 bucks.
More Huppert indeed!

There is at least a German DVD, if your French or German are good enough...
Keep us updated on Criterions response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:55 am 

golgothicon wrote:
There is at least a German DVD, if your French or German are good enough...
Keep us updated on Criterions response.

Much appreciated, thank you. And yes, whenever they get back to me...
EDIT:

Mulvaney wrote:
Hi Lisa,

To the best of my knowledge we have no plans for this film at this time. Thanks for your email!

:( well, guess I'll buy that German dvd...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:43 am 

Made around 1960, possibly a year or two either way. It was shot partly in England at a circus.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard.

Post subject: Re: Identify This Movie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:09 pm 

Was it a comedy? There was Life Is A Circus (1958), that involved the cash-strapped organizers of a British circus. It starred the existing members of a venerable UK comedy troupe known as The Crazy Gang.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:24 pm 

carax09 wrote:
Was it a comedy? There was Life Is A Circus (1958), that involved the cash-strapped organizers of a British circus. It starred the existing members of a venerable UK comedy troupe known as The Crazy Gang.

Not that your suggestion is necessarily wrong, but the subject line of his post/request states that he's looking for an Italian film.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:35 pm 

I missed the subject line, and some quick research yields no Italian connection to the film I mentioned. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:12 pm 

Ok maybe some one will able to help me with this.
When i was kid in south korea, one t.v channel used to show foreign films on every sunday.
This is where i saw bergman, godard, truffaut films and this movie i saw was probably european film if i remember right.
The story is, the man live in small town with wife and mother-inlaw and they always nagging him about something, but one day they both died from car crash or something. Since, nobody telling him what to do he deside to do nothing for the rest of his life and one by one, man from town start to do the same, which women of town start to get mad at their husbands. As you can see it left a great impression on me and it inspire for me to do the same. :lol:
Oh, by the way, I think it was comedy and i saw this one about 30 years ago or, maybe early 80`.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38 am 

ineedyoubad wrote:
Ok maybe some one will able to help me with this.
When i was kid in south korea, one t.v channel used to show foreign films on every sunday.
This is where i saw bergman, godard, truffaut films and this movie i saw was probably european film if i remember right.
The story is, the man live in small town with wife and mother-inlaw and they always nagging him about something, but one day they both died from car crash or something. Since, nobody telling him what to do he deside to do nothing for the rest of his life and one by one, man from town start to do the same, which women of town start to get mad at their husbands. As you can see it left a great impression on me and it inspire for me to do the same. :lol:
Oh, by the way, I think it was comedy and i saw this one about 30 years ago or, maybe early 80`.

Sounds like Alexandre le Bienheureux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 am 

Thank you csm126, i really appreciated.
Yes, i do remember he had a little dog and town people did kidnap the dog to force him to come out of the house.
I only saw once, but really enjoy the film, but sadly it doesn`t seem to be available on dvd in u.s. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:00 am 

For some reason, a film, probably a short, just popped into my head a few days ago. Here's what I remember: My school had this on 16mm in the mid-70s. It was a stop-motion film about some red sneakers. I probably saw this film around age 5 or 6. I think there was a whole pile of old shoes in it. Not much to go on, I know, but all of a sudden, I could see what I think was the credit sequence, with the red sneakers "walking" solo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:45 pm 

Ok, I saw a movie as a child that made me afraid of closets. I believe the movie revolved around a kid who had a monster in his closet. The scene I remember involves a man, I believe his father, trying to show him there's no such thing as monsters opens up the closet to discover that he was wrong and be thrown out a window, landing on a car if I remember correctly. I think the monster had red glowing eyes as well. Probably made sometime from the mid 80's to very early 90's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next