Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
zedz

Re: Identify This Movie

#976 Post by zedz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Well done! Rosales is definitely a worthwhile filmmaker, on the basis of the one feature (The Dream and the Silence) and one short (his Correspondencias contribution) I've seen.

bamwc2

#977 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:32 pm

Two questions that have been bugging me for a few days:

1) I remember a recent French (I think) film featuring a man and a woman who have an affair. She has a husband that collects movie posters and photographs from film sets. When he finds out about his wife's dalliances he
SpoilerShow
burns his collection and commits suicide.
I should know this, but for the life of me can't place it.

2) I'm fairly confident that there is a term for the genre of post-revolutionary Iranian cinema that focuses on the lives of children (e.g. Children of Heaven, The Color of Paradise, etc.), but I can't remember it and Google isn't helping. Did I make this up? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

zedz

#978 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:56 pm

bamwc2 wrote:2) I'm fairly confident that there is a term for the genre of post-revolutionary Iranian cinema that focuses on the lives of children (e.g. Children of Heaven, The Color of Paradise, etc.), but I can't remember it and Google isn't helping. Did I make this up? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
I don't think I've ever come across a specific generic term for this, and at the time the Iranian New Wave was breaking, practically every film had children as protagonists (off the top of my head you can add The Runner, Bashu the Little Stranger, The Key, The Jar, Where is the Friend's House?, Osama, Wind, Water, Dust, The White Balloon, The Apple, The Silence, Traveller, The Day I Became a Woman, A Time for Drunken Horses, Homework). On the international festival circuit, these films outnumbered those with adult protagonists by quite a wide margin, so 'focus on children' was really one of central characteristics of the 'Iranian New Wave' - there wasn't much of a need to create a subgenre designation for clarification, though that doesn't preclude some isolated critic concocting one that you might have come across.

The apparent reason for this focus was that much greater creative freedom was possible in films focussed on children. Production-wise, a number of these films were supported by The Institute for the Intellectual Development of Children & Young Adults, who, from the mid-eighties to mid-nineties, managed a level of quality and significance that few producers from anywhere could match. Kiarostami has noted in interviews that he avoided dealing with typical adult subjects in his Iranian films because there was no way he could realistically depict a married relationship, for example, without violating Iranian censorship.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#979 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Around 1990, I attended an animation festival that included a short film whose subject was football (as in "soccer"), and I think it was a Brazilian film, or perhaps from somewhere else in South America. It had a great song in Spanish or Portuguese with the refrain, "Go, man, go," or, "Goal, man, goal," or something like that. The animation itself included brightly colored, flashing backgrounds (reds, yellows, greens) and black-lined, sketched, distorted images of football players, morphing into different postures, and maybe different objects. I'm mainly interested in the song, but any information on this would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

carax09

#980 Post by carax09 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:32 pm

gcgiles1dollarbin wrote:Around 1990, I attended an animation festival that included a short film whose subject was football (as in "soccer"), and I think it was a Brazilian film, or perhaps from somewhere else in South America. It had a great song in Spanish or Portuguese with the refrain, "Go, man, go," or, "Goal, man, goal," or something like that. The animation itself included brightly colored, flashing backgrounds (reds, yellows, greens) and black-lined, sketched, distorted images of football players, morphing into different postures, and maybe different objects. I'm mainly interested in the song, but any information on this would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I believe the song to be "Ponta de Lança Africano (Umbabarauma) by Jorge Ben.

antnield

#981 Post by antnield » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:39 pm

carax09 wrote:I believe the song to be "Ponta de Lança Africano (Umbabarauma) by Jorge Ben.
And here's the animation.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#982 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Great stuff! That whole album (África Brasil) is quite good actually.

Also, despite appearances, the film is British.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#983 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:09 pm

You people are too much. Thank you. Man, that's an addictive song.

antnield

#984 Post by antnield » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:05 am

swo17 wrote:Also, despite appearances, the film is British.
If anyone is interested, here's a 'making of' documentary:

https://vimeo.com/43310798

It contains interviews with director Susan Young, and David Byrne, who commissioned the film to promote his Beleza Tropical: Brazil Classics 1 compilation. The doc ends with the film in full - and in a better quality than the YouTube video linked above. Young's short film Carnival, which led to Byrne approaching her for the Jorge Ben film, can be found here:

https://vimeo.com/43310581

gcgiles1dollarbin

#985 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 am

Excellent! Thanks again, antnield.

AnamorphicWidescreen

#986 Post by AnamorphicWidescreen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Alright everyone, here's another movie that I haven't seen, but was described to me - let me know if this rings a bell with anyone - This is definitely a post-apocalyptic film, and possibly came out in the 1940's/1950's. I believe it was b&w, but am not 100% sure about this:

An African-American man comes up from an underground area and finds that everyone has disappeared/died. He eventually runs into a white blonde woman and they seem to be the last two people on Earth. The African American actor may be Harry Belafonte, but maybe not. The blonde woman may be Eve Marie Saint, but maybe not.

Again, haven't seen the film - it was just described to me by someone else. Note I am probably not describing the entire film.

Also note this is not This Quiet Earth, which I have seen - TQE is a great New Zealand post-apocalyptic movie.
Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feego

#987 Post by Feego » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 pm

That's The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959), which indeed stars Harry Belafonte. The woman was Inger Stevens. There are actually a lot of strong similarities between this film and The Quiet Earth, including a love triangle and racial tensions.

AnamorphicWidescreen

#988 Post by AnamorphicWidescreen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Feego wrote:That's The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959), which indeed stars Harry Belafonte. The woman was Inger Stevens. There are actually a lot of strong similarities between this film and The Quiet Earth, including a love triangle and racial tensions.
Great! Thanks very much. Planning on watching this soon.

furbicide

#989 Post by furbicide » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:21 am

Here's a tough one. I've had a memory of a few seconds of a tune from a film in my head for a few days—kind of orchestral, with the key vocal being something that sounds like "Rêves... rêves". Possibly over a tracking shot of streets and buildings (ala Hiroshima Mon Amour)? I'm guessing a Godard or Resnais film, or possibly even a Svankmajer short, but it could be something completely unrelated. It could be a really famous film or really obscure. I'm stumped!

Edit: Hard to describe a tune, but it sounds a little like the main theme from Alice in the Cities.

Dr Amicus

#990 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed May 13, 2015 5:17 am

Query from one of my colleagues who can remember some of the details of a film (probably - might be a TV drama) she watched (on Sky Movies) in 2012/3.

British, set in London with British-Asian leads - the brother gets arrested for dealing drugs and his sister sets out proving his innocence. Turns out
SpoilerShow
the local MP is the Drug Kingpin.

I'm baffled - any ideas?

cdobbs

#991 Post by cdobbs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:30 pm

This will probably be an easy one for some but what film is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJXbJCqnL1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregory

#992 Post by Gregory » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:42 pm

The Last Movie by Dennis Hopper

cdobbs

#993 Post by cdobbs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 pm

Thanks! I wondered if that was it but I only know it by reputation

keepiru1

#994 Post by keepiru1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:20 am

I am seeking a movie I saw many years ago, and just cannot find.

The movie is set in a sort of dirty 80's Europe, and it about the main character loosing touch with his wife. So to fix his marriage, he adopts a new persona, including a giant tattoo of some sort of bird on his chest, a cane with matching limp, and he is now a tough guy. The overall look is very similar to "hot in the city" film clip by Billy Idol.

Our hero wins over his wife and keeps the new persona, end of movie.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Has annoyed me for years!

repeat

#995 Post by repeat » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:48 pm

What's the silent movie being shown in the brief cinema scene near the end of Chabrol's Quiet Days in Clichy? It's probably something obvious but I haven't seen too many silents. There's an old guy driving a car through the woods at breakneck speed with some sort of a ghost or demon staring down at him on the shotgun seat, and in the next clip there's a double-exposed ghost (Phantom Carriage style) opening up a big gate for the car to drive through. Looks creepy as hell :shock:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#996 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Are you thinking of this shot from Testament of Dr. Mabuse?

repeat

#997 Post by repeat » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Exactly, thank you. (I actually got as far with guesswork as googling "chabrol clichy mabuse", to no avail..!) Time to unwrap another box from the kevyip :oops:

Mr. Deltoid

#998 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:33 am

A quick question.

I saw a film on UK TV about 15 years ago, but can't for the life of me remember it's name.

It seemed to be a 90's American Indie-type film about relationships and there's a scene where two characters (a boy and a girl) lay on a bed and ask each other what are their top three films. One of them mentions The Purple Rose of Cairo, "because it's about not following your dreams". I think Eraserhead was mentioned too!

It's probably glaringly obvious to everyone else but it's been bugging me recently as to what it was.

furbicide

#999 Post by furbicide » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:56 am

This looks promising - Love and Other Catastrophes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116931/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Features both films as 'connections', and seems to match the vibe you refer to. Only issue is it's Australian, not American.

Mr. Deltoid

#1000 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Ah, I knew this forum wouldn't let me down. Cheers furbicide!

Ironically, reading the synopsis (a day in the life of two film-students) it sounds like something I would now run a mile from!