Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Awesome Welles

#51 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:49 pm

Is that because I mentioned Clift and Wayne or because you remember that scene? If it's because of the scene - thanks!

tryavna

#52 Post by tryavna » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:55 pm

FSimeoni wrote:Is that because I mentioned Clift and Wayne or because you remember that scene? If it's because of the scene - thanks!
Well, the whole description you gave, really. Red River does star Clift and Wayne, of course, and they're relationship is depicted in a very father-son sort of way. Then there's also the scene between Clift and John Ireland in which they compare the size of each other's "guns," which fits with your comment that the scene is "a contest of who's got the biggest dick basically." (The scene also follows one where Clift and Wayne are rounding up their cattle and "along comes another group of people.")

Of course, there may be other Westerns with similar scenes. But Red River definitely fits the description you gave.

Awesome Welles

#53 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:58 pm

I think you've hit the nail on the head thanks very much. I did look at Red River in my search but I wasn't sure, now I can rent it and see the whole thing!

Galen Young

#54 Post by Galen Young » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:51 am

Just finished reading a novel by Bruce Wagner titled Still Holding, and near the end one of the characters has a memory of a film, described as such:
Bruce Wagner wrote:"...the English movie she saw when she was a little girl, about the supernatural. A woman in a hospital kept dreaming that each night she awakened to ride the elevator down to the morgue, where a man stood and said, "Room for one more." When the woman was finally discharged, she was about to board an airplane, and the attendant at the gate said the same thing--"Room for one more"-- and because she'd had the premonition, the woman didn't board and of course the plane crashed."
Anyone have an idea what film this could be? It sounds familiar and is driving me nuts trying to figure out what!

Cold Bishop

#55 Post by Cold Bishop » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 am

Well, its an old urban legend, which has been used in Dead of Night and an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Matt

#56 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:58 am

Cold Bishop wrote:Well, its an old urban legend, which has been used in Dead of Night and an episode of The Twilight Zone.
More specifically, the "Twenty Two" episode of The Twilight Zone, of which that description is the exact plot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:03 pm

And who could forget its inclusion in the childhood favorite Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark?

Galen Young

#58 Post by Galen Young » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Matt wrote:More specifically, the "Twenty Two" episode of The Twilight Zone, of which that description is the exact plot.
I think you're right, that must be what he's referencing. Thanks!

Svevan

#59 Post by Svevan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:43 pm

One that's bothered my friend, may be obscure or not: modern people find an ancient civilization that is obsessed with gold (wearing it, building with it). The only thing I know is that in the end, the people of this civilization pour gold over their king to immortalize him as a statue. Could be a TV movie, or a major film that I haven't seen. Any help?

teddyleevin

#60 Post by teddyleevin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 pm

5 or 6 part series of kids films. From the 1990s. Straight to VHS I believe. Involved a kid who had some ability, maybe time travel? I remember one of the installments was like ""Character Name" in Toyworld." That's all I really remember.

Cold Bishop

#61 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:24 pm

teddyleevin wrote:5 or 6 part series of kids films. From the 1990s. Straight to VHS I believe. Involved a kid who had some ability, maybe time travel? I remember one of the installments was like ""Character Name" in Toyworld." That's all I really remember.
Josh Kirby... Time Warrior

teddyleevin

#62 Post by teddyleevin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:Josh Kirby... Time Warrior
YES! Thanks a lot! Now...I must remember, whether or not the series was any good.

Thanks again!

rohmerin

#63 Post by rohmerin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:07 pm

An Italian film with Stefania Sandrelli from the 60's or 70's. May be in colour. She is a peasant from the countryside, and she picks up cherries from the tree, or she sells cherries... or may be it was watermelons- Sorry, no more clues my husband said to me. We'd be so grateful if somebody can help us to know which film is.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#64 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:57 am

I'm looking for this documentary I saw on Sundance or IFC about three years ago. It was about how the government in Ireland wanted to cut down this tree and all of the townspeople were convinced it was a magical faerie tree, and the film mainly consisted of average townspeople relating their stories about encountering faeries in their lives. Ringing any bells?

sienel

#65 Post by sienel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:09 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'm looking for this documentary I saw on Sundance or IFC about three years ago. It was about how the government in Ireland wanted to cut down this tree and all of the townspeople were convinced it was a magical faerie tree, and the film mainly consisted of average townspeople relating their stories about encountering faeries in their lives. Ringing any bells?
The Fairy Faith (2000)?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:43 pm

A customer's review on Amazon confirms that's definitely it, thank you! Quite a strange little doc if I remember correctly

MrAnonymous

#67 Post by MrAnonymous » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:16 am

There are two films that I've been wondering about for quite some time. I would be very appreciative if somebody could tell me what these are.

1) I saw part of a silent film compilation/documentary back during the mid-90s when American Movie Classics was still airing classic films. My silent knowledge is limited to comedy, so this drama may be well-known. The clip that intrigued me was a hero rescuing his damsel in distress. There was lots of rain and lightning. My mind may be merging a couple films together, but I remember him running through a field and up the steps of a castle/tower (perhaps battling enemies along the way). After the rescue and escape, I seem to recall them reaching a body of water and departing in a small boat. Sorry if this sounds pretty vague. I was mostly impressed by the storm effects.

2)There was a kids/family movie I saw in the mid-late '80s which involved a boy, either in his teens or a bit younger. This was a twist on the typical "The man you saw died fifty years ago" story. There was a stereotypical "silent Indian" (Native American) who was silent through the film until a big action sequence when the boy was in trouble and needed help. The Indian finally talked and saved the boy's life. At the end of the movie, the boy recounted this story to the man for whom the Indian worked (boy's father? boss?), who simply laughed it off, pointing out that the Indian was born without a tongue and couldn't speak. I vaguely remember this being set in the past in the Western U.S. and possibly involving a plane. It was a color film and looked new (though it may have been from earlier in the 80s or even '70s). It could have been a made-for-tv movie or even a television episode. Everything I've found on Google about characters without tongues involves this as a basic character trait, not as the big twist ending as it was here. Does anybody have any idea what this movie was?

rohmerin

#68 Post by rohmerin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:41 am

Hello, I'm looking for a movie from Russia or some Eastearn Country from the very late 50 or the begining 60's about a soldier that comes back home after the war. The only clue I have got is that in Argentina was released as El último mes de otoño (Last month of autumn).

Gracias.

Kinsayder

#69 Post by Kinsayder » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:40 am

rohmerin wrote:Hello, I'm looking for a movie from Russia or some Eastearn Country from the very late 50 or the begining 60's about a soldier that comes back home after the war. The only clue I have got is that in Argentina was released as El último mes de otoño (Last month of autumn).
Is it Posledniy mesyats oseni (1965)? (I just searched for "Last month of autumn" at IMDb.)

rohmerin

#70 Post by rohmerin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I can't remember which American film was. I've watched today Tobbaco Road, and that new car that finishes completely ruined, remembered to me one film, from 30's or 40's , may be a screwball comedy, may be from mae West or Carole Lombard dvd boxes, it was about an old couple that buys a lot of cars, one after another, and they crash them to other cars, may be in L.A.

¿Le suena a alguien? Muchas gracias.

Kinsayder

#71 Post by Kinsayder » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:29 pm

rohmerin wrote:it was about an old couple that buys a lot of cars, one after another, and they crash them to other cars, may be in L.A.
Sounds like the WC Fields episode from If I Had a Million.

rohmerin

yes

#72 Post by rohmerin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:33 pm

Yes, that was. Thank's a lot. It was made me crazy trying to remember.

Antares

#73 Post by Antares » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:07 pm

On another forum, a member posted this movie request:
I saw part of a movie on the IFC channel a while back. It was about an English/Scottish couple who went to the Amazon (or some similarly lush undeveloped area) to take a mapmaking/surveying/engineering job. Once they arrive, things are not quite as they seem but they cannot leave because the boat that brought them there will not return for months due to the level of the water in the river.

The husband is offered more money to complete the job on a very tight timetable. However, he becomes gravely ill while in the jungle. The wife is desperate for a cure and is offered one, but the price she must pay is to be unfaithful to her husband. As best I can remember the story took place in the later 1800's early 1900's. The end shot of the movie involves the boat returning.
I have no idea what the film is, but I figured with the amount of film knowledge here, somebody might know.

montgomery

#74 Post by montgomery » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 am

I've been to Europe 3 times in the last few years, always around christmas. In 3 different countries (France, Hungary, Italy) I've seen the same french movie on TV on there. Apparently this must be some beloved European classic, and it's probably also a holiday movie (I've never actually watched the whole thing, just seen bits of it). It seems to have been made in the 80s, and is a comedy-drama, in the vein of "Parenthood" or something. In fact, the whole thing seems to have a kind of Ron Howard middle-brow semi-seriousness. I'm shocked to see it without fail on TV every time I'm in Europe, especially because I have the TV on maybe a total of 20 minutes every time I'm there. It's stranger still to see it in all those different countries, though the movie is definitely french.
Since I've seen so little of it, I can't really piece together the plot, but it seems to center on a family, and one of the sub-plots is about the teenage daugther's decision to go to a rock concert with some boy, against her parents' wishes (I think the grandmother discovers the daughter's secret). But the parents themselves seem to have their own secrets. I believe the father is cheating, or is thinking of cheating, or is thought to be cheating. I think maybe the daughter sees him with another woman or something.

I know this isn't much to go on, and I'm pretty sure it's unknown to Americans, but I suspect some European will immediately know what I'm talking about? Thanks for any help.

Kinsayder

#75 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:44 am

I think it may be La Boum, which was Sophie Marceau's début, and indeed a very frequently shown film in France.