Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Berzeli

Re: Identify This Movie

#951 Post by Berzeli » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:19 pm

martin wrote:^
I've not received any answers from SVT but I think I have solved this mystery. I've done some searches (queries) on a database of Swedish TV showings around 1990. It didn't actually lead me anywhere but by chance and nothing else I somehow stumbled across the Swedish film Som i drömmar (1954) directed by Carl Gyllenberg. This film was shown on SVT2 the 3rd of August 1987. I'm absolutely sure that this is the film and director I'm talking about. The film is certainly a bit older than I had suggested, and it had been shown on TV before (in 1975) but it was still a pretty rare event to see this film on TV at the time, and it basically fits my other criterias as I remember them (an experimental art film in black and white). I can't, however, find any confirmation that there was an interview with the director after the film but I'm 100% sure that there was!

I didn't really think this mystery was solvable unless someone had actually seen the same film and interview at the time (and happened to remember it). It seemed like a long shot. But I'm relieved it's solved. And thanks for any help.

And I'd actually like to see this film. It seems interesting.
Hah, nice work.

As for seeing it, the film hasn't been issued on DVD so your only hope is a rerun by SVT, that the SFI/Cinemateket has a showing of it or that Studio S (pretty much the only label that publishes older films) feels like publishing it. You can e-mail the person responsible for such matters at Studio S at seo@studiosentertainment.se to check with them.

rohmerin

#952 Post by rohmerin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:40 am

Anyone from San Francisco, we'd like to know the name of this impressive Beach with clift.
It's from Looking, the HBO show, episode 7.

Gracias.

http://subefotos.com/ver/?152a485340115 ... 71bbao.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://subefotos.com/ver/?9142842b538b6 ... 20b0eo.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tuco

#953 Post by Tuco » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Pretty sure it's Land's End - first picture has Baker Beach in the background. Used to live in San Francisco, so I might be right...

stroszeck

#954 Post by stroszeck » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 am

I recall reading about this movie "Dau" several years back on this forum, and not sure where to put this but was wondering if this film was ever released in any form? I believe another one of the filmmaker's movies was part of this same thread way back when.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies- ... ntPage=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Fanciful Norwegian

#955 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:49 pm

It hasn't been released yet. This Moscow Times article from August 2013 said the film was still in post-production and wouldn't be ready until summer 2014 at earliest. That's the most recent word I can find on the state of the project. Given its history, summer 2014 was a sucker bet in any case. Oddly enough the film recently became an issue in the Ukrainian elections: journalist and parliamentary candidate Dmitry Gordon had a part in the film, and a rival campaign distributed a photo from the shoot with the false claim that it depicted Gordon receiving an award from a pro-Russian oligarch.

ethel

Identify This Movie

#956 Post by ethel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:04 pm

An elderly Italian film buff of my acquaintance is haunted by an American movie he saw in the 1950s.
He has forgotten the title and stars, and remembers only the following situation:

An airman is blinded in action, but manages to land his plane after a long and suspenseful sequence
in which he literally flies "blind", but is guided in by radio contact.

Any help on this one will be gratefully received.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#957 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Men of the Fighting Lady (Andrew Marton, 1954) with Van Johnson as the radio contact

ethel

#958 Post by ethel » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:18 am

Thanks so much for your amazingly rapid answer!
You've made an old man very happy!

ClaudeNorth2014

#959 Post by ClaudeNorth2014 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:46 am

ClaudeNorth2014 wrote:Here's one that I'm hoping someone on the Forum can identify...

Back in the early 1980s, there was a cable channel called TeleFrance USA and one night I came across a movie on there that has stayed with me for years. I recall only three scenes:

1. A man and a woman are on a beach consisting of stones rather than sand. At one point, the woman gets up angrily and says something along the lines of, "I'm sick of this beach and I'm sick of these stones," and then runs off.
2. Someone encounters a man in a wet suit and helps him undress. The scene consists of a series of jump cuts as the man struggles to remove the wet suit.
3. A woman is sitting at an outdoor bar, wearing a man's shirt over her bathing suit. Someone plays a song on the jukebox and the woman gets up and begins to dance.

By the way, the film was in black and white and probably from the early-to-mid 1960s.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Still haven't found this film. Did I manage to stump the panel?

AnamorphicWidescreen

#960 Post by AnamorphicWidescreen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:44 pm

OK - I posted this on another board & didn't get any info., but I know a lot of folks on here are huge film buffs - so, you may be able to help me with these three films:

1) The first was a fairly decent (but definitely obscure) horror film I saw on DVD several years ago - I believe the film was from the '90's or 200X's. It involved a reclusive 20-ish young guy living in a high-rise apartment by himself - I believe he was a writer/artist of some sort. He was visited at one point by another guy (a former High school classmate?!) & the visit involved the recluse's writing/artwork - I think. I remember the meeting took place on the roof of a restaurant/coffee place overloooking a large metropolis/city (possibly in the U.S. or Canada, not sure though).

There were several horrific "dream sequences" involving events from the reclusive guy's past. One of the flashbacks I remember is that the guy had gone to his high school senior prom with the "girl of his dreams", and was humiliated there by the school bully - in front of everyone. You got the impression this event traumatized the guy so much that he later became a recluse.

The whole film somewhat reminded me somewhat of Polanski's classic 1960's film Repulsion, but with a guy instead of a woman...

2) The second was a low-budget thriller from around 2001 - I remember seeing the trailer in the theater, though never saw the film. It took place in the North Texas area, and involved a guy getting into a serious argument/disagreement on the phone with a female customer service representative about something (don't remember what). In any case, after the original argument, she began terrorizing him over the phone & things got worse from there. Note I didn't actually see this film, just the trailer. I'm sure it was an extremely low-budget, obscure, little-seen/little-known movie.

3) The third will be much more difficult to pin down, and is something I've mentioned before on this thread (though IIRC no one had any idea what it was at the time): In Fall 1984, I saw the very beginning of a sci-fi TV film (possibly even a theatrical film edited for TV) on network TV in the evening. The TV film/film was definitely from the '70's (or earlier), and involved a guy going to a parallel dimension/alternate reality where the UK was controlled by a totalitarian government whose soldiers were dressed in brown/tan uniforms. The only scene I remember is that the guy was being chased through a building, and was shot at by one of the soldiers - they missed, but reduced a wooden door to splinters.

Note this could also have been a TV mini-series - that was edited into a two-hour tele-film.

Note this was not a Classic Star Trek episode, and it was also definitely not an episode of Dr. Who (though I've seen a Dr. Who series that was somewhat similar).

If anyone knows specifically what any of these are, please post here - I'd like to see them again. Thanks in advance.

PfR73

#962 Post by PfR73 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:19 pm

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#963 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Not my question, but stumbled on this tonight. Click the topic title for the image in question. Anyone have any ideas?

EddieLarkin

#964 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:09 pm

The OP seems to think that it's a silent movie from the 1910s or 20s, and it does look like one, but isn't that a type of soundtrack on the left?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#965 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 pm

It's a very early soundtrack, and that's why it's of interest- the OP posted the video in a comment that explains how Rankine developed the technology. The royal society found the frame, they just don't know what movie it came from.

sinemadelisikiz

#966 Post by sinemadelisikiz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 pm

I don't know if this is helpful, but the actress looks just like Gloria Swanson. She was in a very early phonofilm short called Dialogue from 1925 with Thomas Meighan and Henri de la Falaise, who bear a similarity to the other actors. Maybe that? Never seen it so couldn't confirm, but it seems likely.

Edit: Ok, this is the only film that Gloria Swanson and Henri de la Falaise were in together. So really likely.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#967 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Looks like you may be right, Rankine's system does look an awful lot like phonofilm

Ruprecht

#968 Post by Ruprecht » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:45 pm

This might be too vague, but I'll throw it out there: I remember reading a festival report, can't remember specifically the source, where they discussed seeing a film that was entirely shot from a distance, as if surreptitiously, where the plot consisted of a possible murder, but, due to the camera's distance, no dialogue could be captured; we're just left to infer the plot from the images. I want to say it was mid to late aughts and in Spanish, but that could just be wires getting crossed.

Any clue?

tomN245

#969 Post by tomN245 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Ruprecht wrote:This might be too vague, but I'll throw it out there: I remember reading a festival report, can't remember specifically the source, where they discussed seeing a film that was entirely shot from a distance, as if surreptitiously, where the plot consisted of a possible murder, but, due to the camera's distance, no dialogue could be captured; we're just left to infer the plot from the images. I want to say it was mid to late aughts and in Spanish, but that could just be wires getting crossed.

Any clue?
I want to know this as well, sounds interesting.

I wonder if anyone can guess the film/TV programme in the reflection of the laptop in this video (at 2:10 onwards)

bottled spider

#970 Post by bottled spider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Ruprecht wrote:This might be too vague, but I'll throw it out there: I remember reading a festival report, can't remember specifically the source, where they discussed seeing a film that was entirely shot from a distance, as if surreptitiously, where the plot consisted of a possible murder, but, due to the camera's distance, no dialogue could be captured; we're just left to infer the plot from the images. I want to say it was mid to late aughts and in Spanish, but that could just be wires getting crossed.

Any clue?
Could it be Losey's 1970 film Figures in a Landscape? IMDb: Figures in a Landscape Haven't seen it myself, but some aspects of the description seem to fit...

zedz

#971 Post by zedz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:35 pm

bottled spider wrote:

Any clue?
Could it be Losey's 1970 film Figures in a Landscape? IMDb: Figures in a Landscape Haven't seen it myself, but some aspects of the description seem to fit...
Figures in a Landscape doesn't really fit the description: it's much more conventionally shot and staged, and the ambiguity is more on a conceptual level (who are these characters on the run and what are they running from?) It's more like a thoroughly decontextualized action film.

bottled spider

#972 Post by bottled spider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:03 pm

Is it good? I've had it in mind to watch some time, based on a still, and that I like some of Losey's other films.

zedz

#973 Post by zedz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:49 pm

It's okay. A well-made thriller with some good set pieces. I expected something much more experimental based on what I'd read about it.

MaxCastle

#974 Post by MaxCastle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:28 am

Any clue?
Sounds like this.

Ruprecht

#975 Post by Ruprecht » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:08 pm

MaxCastle wrote:Sounds like this.
Holy. Shit. That's it. That's top-tier-athlete level impressive. A million thanks.

Now to track it down.