Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
antnield

Re: Identify This Movie

#601 Post by antnield » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 pm

1. Close Encounters
2. The Snorkel
3. Noroit
4. Love on a Pillow
5. ?
6. The Iron Rose

Gregory

#602 Post by Gregory » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:48 pm

5. Morvern Callar?

antnield

#603 Post by antnield » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Gregory wrote:5. Morvern Callar?
Yup.

Murdoch

#604 Post by Murdoch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Well that solves it, thanks to both of you!

LQ

#605 Post by LQ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 pm

I have a feeling this will be easily identified, but its not ringing any bells for me. Help?

triodelover

#606 Post by triodelover » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Frankenheimer's The Manchurian Candidate.

LQ

#607 Post by LQ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks, triode!

triodelover

#608 Post by triodelover » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 pm

LQ wrote:Thanks, triode!
You're welcome. (Good film, BTW)

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#609 Post by Brian C » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:11 pm

A friend of mine was describing a short film that he attributed to Kiarostami. He can't remember the name of it, but says that it was about a crash between a motorcycle and an ambulance, and consisted of a single dolly shot that moved back and forth between one vehicle and the other.

Sound familiar to anyone? A Google search hasn't turned up anything, and the plot desciptions for a lot of his short films on IMDb are non-existant.

Costas

#610 Post by Costas » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Very sketchy details on this one - hopefully someone can help. I'm trying to think of an American or Canadian low budget drama from early/mid 90s. I saw it on the UK's Channel 4 and there were plenty of ads for it in the week leading up to its showing. Pretty sure it was had a one word title like 'Falling' or something like that. The lead actor (20s I'd guess) looked really like Andrew McCarthy, but it was definitely not him. I think there was a younger female character in there too. It had a very grey colour palate. Someone in the film may have had some kind of medical or psychological condition. I was young and remember not even particularly enjoying it (it was slow and not a lot happened) but for some reason it popped into my head recently and now it's driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

ellipsis7

#611 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Brian C wrote:A friend of mine was describing a short film that he attributed to Kiarostami. He can't remember the name of it, but says that it was about a crash between a motorcycle and an ambulance, and consisted of a single dolly shot that moved back and forth between one vehicle and the other.

Sound familiar to anyone? A Google search hasn't turned up anything, and the plot desciptions for a lot of his short films on IMDb are non-existant.
Don't think this is Kiarostami... Cannot place it among his shorts, also seems too heightened a drama for his style, and a single dolly shot at that stage seems unlikely...

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#612 Post by Brian C » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:13 pm

:) I suspected he might be mistaken about it being Kiarostami myself, ellipsis7. Thanks for the response.

BrentL

#613 Post by BrentL » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I recently found a nice collection of mid-century press photos, mainly from Warner Bros. Studio, and this is the only one I can't figure out. I have asked around and no one has been able to help me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

zedz

#614 Post by zedz » Tue May 08, 2012 6:51 pm

This came up in another thread, to general head-scratching, so here goes:

There was a really unusual 'New York in the 70s' film that I saw on TV a couple of decades ago and can't seem to track down. Lots of location footage, traipsing around the city, yada yada yada, but the gob-smacking thing about it was the storyline, which involved a pregnant teenager trying to get an abortion, and her friends helping her get it. I assume it must have been made immediately in the wake of Roe v Wade, because the tone was utterly bizarre by Hollywood standards, in that there was no air of hysteria or risk or controversy about her quest. It was all (at least so far as I remember) quite matter-of-fact: how do I find a good abortionist, how do I get the money together, how do I keep my parents from finding out? Not a whiff of moral panic and, by the same token, no air of pro-choice crusading. It was hard to believe there was a time when this subject matter wasn't politicized.

Searching for 'abortion' on imdb was no help, and there's probably only a small window of opportunity in which such a film could get made (73-75?) Any ideas?

Some more (possibly misleading!) clues:
- It was a pretty standard, straight, typically 70s production, with the location shooting being probably its most distinctive feature. May have been made for TV originally, for all I know.
- I don't recall any big stars in the film, and what adult characters there were were marginal (or unmemorable).
- I'm pretty sure that the film's title didn't give away much about its unusual content, as I was surprised as the story unfolded. (So anything like "The Great NY Abortion Quest" is out.)

Gaddis

#615 Post by Gaddis » Tue May 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Maybe this one. "To Find a Man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQHLEJiV3ourl

zedz

#616 Post by zedz » Tue May 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Bingo! And it looks just as cheesy as I remembered.

duck duck

#617 Post by duck duck » Tue May 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Ok, not the most sophisticated thing but I remember seeing a movie that I think was Charles Bronson and possibly a Death Wish that I saw when I was very young but all I remember is he made a trap in his apartment window with a 2x4 and a guy opened the window from the alley making the board hit him and his front teeth stuck in the board.
So, Is this a real move and how much of it am I remembering wrong?

Duncan Hopper

#618 Post by Duncan Hopper » Tue May 15, 2012 3:18 pm

duck duck wrote:Ok, not the most sophisticated thing but I remember seeing a movie that I think was Charles Bronson and possibly a Death Wish that I saw when I was very young but all I remember is he made a trap in his apartment window with a 2x4 and a guy opened the window from the alley making the board hit him and his front teeth stuck in the board.
So, Is this a real move and how much of it am I remembering wrong?
It is indeed a Death Wish film, the sublimely stupid Death Wish 3. A personal favourite of mine. Watch Bronson as he shoots kids in the back and kills them for stealing a camera he purchased just to bait them, or shooting kids for trying to steal his car stereo, again, purchased only to bait the kids.

A real turd, but a hugely enjoyable one.

duck duck

#619 Post by duck duck » Tue May 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Thank you...

plethaplex

#620 Post by plethaplex » Sat May 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Okay, typical first post - scrounging for info :) I'm looking for a film and you'll not be surprised, I only know a fragment - the beginning I think :- a group of bright young things sit around speaking in turn; although the scene is domestic and they are all relaxed they don't reply to each other, they each say their 'piece' one after the other - they are mostly 'leftist' I'd say, the 'vignettes' sound fairly profound but, as I say, all disconnected... Thankyou in advance (oh yeah, the film's at least 30 years old..)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#621 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 19, 2012 7:10 pm

La Chinoise?

rohmerin

#622 Post by rohmerin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 am

From the film Paris (2008), I'd like to know what places are these two squares. I've been in the 2nd but I can not remember the name. The 1st one, no idea at all.

Thank's

repeat

#623 Post by repeat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:16 am

This one is probably beyond obscure, but here goes!

An Eastern European film (maybe Polish or Czech), probably 1980's; the opening credits and/or first scene features close-ups of an ophthalmological (slit lamp) examination. The protagonist is a young boy, his mother possibly a doctor, and the plot has a medical theme, maybe involving some kind of serious illness. Any ideas?

Rufus T. Firefly

#624 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:23 am

rohmerin wrote:From the film Paris (2008), I'd like to know what places are these two squares. I've been in the 2nd but I can not remember the name. The 1st one, no idea at all.
Place de la Nation

Place des Victoires

htom

#625 Post by htom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 am

I have one that I saw on an afternoon movie TV program a very long time ago, possibly the early 1970s.

One scene that stood out appeared to happen at the docks, where wooden crates are unloaded and stacked. Here a man and women appear to be trying to eavde somebody. The man is dressed in suit and hat, suggesting a setting of anywhere from the late 1930s to the early 1960s.

At one point in trying to maneuver between the crates they find themselves boxed in as crate carrying forklifts suddenly start blocking the ends of any corridors they rush down.

As they are finally cornered in the maze other men (also in suits and hats) come in. They beat the man until he collapses. Then, as two men hold the struggling woman by her arms, another man comes in, and with a straight razor slashes her face from her cheek down to her jaw, deeply and deliberately.. That is the dominant image in my memory, for obvious reasons.

I don't think this was a TV show, though I speculate it may not have been out of bounds for shows like The Untouchables. I'm not sure if it was in color or B/W as it may have been watched on an old TV. I don't recall recognizing any of the actors involved. I can't remember if the scene has the man slashing her on both sides of her or not, though a later scene has her being carried away on a stretcher with bandages wrapped about her head but not covering her eyes or mouth.

Does this scene ring any bells?