Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Identify This Movie

#126 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 pm

Cameron's Closet?

Saint James

#127 Post by Saint James » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:04 pm

I believe you are right, merci beaucoup!

MyNameCriterionForum

#128 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:16 am

Looking for a live-action (well, mostly...) short that I believe I saw on TV in the 70s, perhaps on The Wonderful World of Disney or some such (though I imagine it was actually made years, if not decades earlier). Basically, a pinstriper begins decorating a car, and through some means or other (fuzzy on this detail) he's possessed or the brush "takes over" finsihing the job in a ridiculously ornate manner, and making a mess of the painter and the shop at the same time. I've looked for it for years, but without a title or other info, I've not had any luck.

dadaistnun

#129 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Cool Flickr group called Nitrate Film Interest. I'll let their profile explain:
This FLICKR account is to help archives around the world identify unknown films in their collection. We will do our best to post what information is known about each film along with the frame scans. If you are able to provide any information such as title, actor, approximate date, or anything helpful then please leave a comment.

Films that have multiple frame scans have been grouped into sets that can be found along the right side of the screen. By clicking on the set information will appear that applies to all of the frame scans from that reel of film. We suggest that you navigate these photos through their sets so as to see all of the information that is provided.

The Nitrate Film Interest Group is a part of the Association of Moving Image Archivists' interest groups. Check out AMIA at http://www.amianet.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The Nitrate Film Interest Group is dedicated to promoting education about nitrate film as well as functioning as a resource for those interested in and working with nitrate film by becoming a major resource for archivists' needs.

Questions about these scans can be posted to the scan comments. If you have a frame scan of an unidentified film, any questions about the Nitrate Film Interest Group or this account an email can be sent to nitratefilminterestgroup@yahoo.com

Tell other film buffs, archivists, and collectors about us:

codam

#130 Post by codam » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 pm

I wonder if anyone could help me with this quiz question I have - which film features a sign which says "fifty cases of 1914 Grande Vin D'Ay" or something similar?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Gregory

#131 Post by Gregory » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 am

What's the film with the bachelor who throws noodles against the wall of his kitchen to test if they're done? I had been thinking it was The Apartment for some reason but I just rewatched it and that's definitely not in there.

fiddlesticks

#132 Post by fiddlesticks » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 am

Gregory wrote:What's the film with the bachelor who throws noodles against the wall of his kitchen to test if they're done? I had been thinking it was The Apartment for some reason but I just rewatched it and that's definitely not in there.
Well, that happens in The Big Chill, and it happens in The Odd Couple (although I don't think Oscar is testing the doneness of the noodles so much as his doneness with Felix), and I wouldn't be surprised if that cliche turns up in two or three dozen other films as well.

Gregory

#133 Post by Gregory » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:24 am

Yes, I was thinking of fairly early use of what eventually became a gimmick. I have seen The Big Chill but have been pretty successful in blocking out the memory of it.
I think it must have been The Odd Couple I was thinking of, and the Jack Lemmon-bachelor-spaghetti connection must have made me think of The Apartment. The memory is going fast.
Haven't seen The Odd Couple in about 15 years. Thanks for the tip.

Matango

#134 Post by Matango » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 am

There's a British film from the 1950s or 60s in which a young (about nine or ten yrs old) boy called Gus has a much older sister who has a son about his age. Hence he is the uncle of this son, and kids chase him around town yelling "Gus is an uncle!". I thought that might even be the name of the film, but it doesn't appear on imdb. I saw this as a kid on TV in the 1970s. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks.

bigP

#135 Post by bigP » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:57 am

Matango, I'm pretty sure you are thinking of Desmond Davis' The Uncle with Rupert Davies, Brenda Bruce and Robert Duncan as Gus. Here's the IMDB link.

I'm not 100% certain as I saw it on the t.v. when I was pretty young, maybe 20 years ago, but I remember watching it beacause I loved Clash of the Titans and wanted to see another film by Davis. I can't remember if I liked this one though. Alas, I hope this helps.

Matango

#136 Post by Matango » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 am

That certainly looks like it. Thanks very much!

HarryLime

Re:

#138 Post by HarryLime » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:29 pm

jesus the mexican boi wrote:Well, as long as we're official... Here's the one that's been bugging me since I was, oh, 8 years old or so...

I think it's a camp -- as in "Meatballs," not "Pink Flamingos" -- movie from the 1970s, and Jackie Earle Haley might have been in it. All I remember is a scene along a dirt road in the woods where all the kids are gathered, with buckets in their hands, if I remember right, and are chanting, "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!" I think there's something about pranking a rival camp involved in this scenario, but that's it, unfortunately. It weirded me out as a kid, and still does now.
I happened to click on this topic tonight for no good reason and saw this question from a couple of years ago. I can't imagine you're still checking back, jesus, but if you are, I think the movie you're looking for is Bless the Beasts and the Children. And I'm guessing the actor you're probably remembering as Jackie Earle Haley is Billy Mumy.

We're nothing if not completists at the Criterion Forum.

jesus the mexican boi

#139 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:47 am

Merci, HarryLime. That sure seems like a strong contender, and it's a film I've never sought out. I'll have to check the local archives for a copy, since it's OOP VHS.

Here's to completists! Thanks.

EDIT: Got this as an amazon unbox VOD. This is it. The sequence seared into my memory is the "church on fire!" bit, in which the boys get busted stealing the trophy from the rival cabin, are publicly spanked, and then doused with a communal chamberpot of fresh, hot piss. WTF!?!?! Holy shit.

SalParadise

Re: Identify This MUSIC

#140 Post by SalParadise » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi,
I hope anyone here knows the music used near the end of Peter Weir's The Plumber. I've heard it before, so I'm betting it's a 'classical' piece. Please?! :)

Lynchette

#141 Post by Lynchette » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:44 am

Hi all, first post here.

I'm looking for a documentary that was released in the past 5 years (maybe 2004). It's about a group of very clever Jewish elderly people who worked for the US intelligence during WW2, maybe even the cold war..

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you.

LQ

#142 Post by LQ » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:51 am

The Ritchie Boys ?

Lynchette

#143 Post by Lynchette » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Bravo! =D>

Thank you!!!

rohmerin

#144 Post by rohmerin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:37 pm

We're looking for an Italian 40's or 50's black and white drama about a woman who is maltreated. He was a soldier who came back home, a drunk man who can't be happy. The END is about the woman with her children, one blonde girl and a brunet boy who are in a cliff. He climbs the cliff to try to rescue his family and in the last minute, he reachs her and avoid the jumping death.

May be with Raf Vallone, but not sure.
May be the title was the name of a woman, there was a song with her name.

anyone is familiar with this very wanted film ?

Gracias

breubreubreu

#146 Post by breubreubreu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:58 am

Last edited by breubreubreu on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HerrSchreck

#147 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 am

Well I'm pretty sure the first one is the clown from Bergman's Sawdust & Tinsel.

codam

#148 Post by codam » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:41 am

I think the second one is from L'Été meurtrier - there's a screencap similar to yours in the review here.

I used Tineye.com to find this, it's a site which lets you search to find instances of an image on the internet, which can be really for stuff like this. I tried it for the other images, but it found no results.

breubreubreu

#149 Post by breubreubreu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks a bunch for your help guys. :wink:

Murdoch

#150 Post by Murdoch » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 pm

The one with the kid in the Charlie Brown shirt is from High Fidelity.