Lost Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Jeff

#126 Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 pm

Cinetwist wrote:his whole post history prior to this thread was a troll-like bating game towards MoC fans, whereby each time a new release was announced he'd whine and say that he was going to wait for the criterion because criterions have a "prestige" factor that MoC are incabable of replicating.
He's also the one that declared on multiple occasions that no good films ever came out of the 70s and that Robert Altman should be erased from the history of cinema. It's always seemed like he was just here to push peoples' buttons.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#127 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:51 pm

sounds like we need to bump this discovery up to five devils

janet

#128 Post by janet » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:sounds like we need to bump this discovery up to five devils
That is one funny comment. Thank you Mr. Domino

godardslave

#129 Post by godardslave » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:57 pm

janet wrote:
domino harvey wrote:sounds like we need to bump this discovery up to five devils
nows your chance! post that resume before the 15 minutes pass by... :shock:

SheriffAmbrose

#130 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:17 am

godardslave wrote:
janet wrote:
nows your chance! post that resume before the 15 minutes pass by... :shock:
Yeah Domino, You freaked it. Honest to God, I would include a screen cap of that on my resume.

Aside from that, is anyone else reminded of the closing scenes of Ace in the Hole? The circus is over.

Lemmy Caution

#131 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:57 am

SheriffAmbrose wrote:Aside from that, is anyone else reminded of the closing scenes of Ace in the Hole? The circus is over.
Yeah. As this thing continues to snowball, and more people jump into the fray, I've started wondering where Kirk Douglass is.

exte

#132 Post by exte » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:02 am

Thread finally locked?

Tommaso

#133 Post by Tommaso » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:33 am

Wouldn't suggest this at the moment, as indeed there may be the chance to bring it to a definitive end. But probably the more important things have been said, and perhaps it may go to sleep for a while until something happens or we hear from Mr.Numbers.

lady wakasa

#134 Post by lady wakasa » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:41 am

It might be a hoax... and it might be that he found a lawyer whose first advice was to stop posting information on a public bulletin board which has gotten press notice. (Changing his email implies getting inundated by private messages.)

It may be time to sit back and see whether anything happens in the next few months. If there is a film, word will come out at some point.

Rufus T. Firefly

#135 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:33 am

According to thisFrench blog, an almost complete print of Bardelys the Magnificent has turned up. There is a very brief sequence of this previously lost film in Show People.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#136 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:31 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:According to thisFrench blog, an almost complete print of Bardelys the Magnificent has turned up. There is a very brief sequence of this previously lost film in Show People.
Wow -- and it already has 36 rating votes on IMDB. ;~}

Roger_Thornhill

#137 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:57 am

I feel like I've been raped. :(

But this is one rape that's the victim's fault. Never trust messages boards.

Rufus T. Firefly

#138 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:53 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:According to thisFrench blog, an almost complete print of Bardelys the Magnificent has turned up. There is a very brief sequence of this previously lost film in Show People.
Wow -- and it already has 36 rating votes on IMDB. ;~}
Show me a prominent lost film on IMDb that doesn't have rating votes.

Luke M

#139 Post by Luke M » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:40 pm

I've read through this whole thread. Very fascinating indeed. I don't think we should necessarily be declaring this as a hoax. I'm sure posting updates on a message board aren't in the best interest of the owner. I hope it turns out to be true but I'm quite sure we won't know for sure for a long time.

Macintosh

#140 Post by Macintosh » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:17 pm

Jeff wrote:
Cinetwist wrote:his whole post history prior to this thread was a troll-like bating game towards MoC fans, whereby each time a new release was announced he'd whine and say that he was going to wait for the criterion because criterions have a "prestige" factor that MoC are incabable of replicating.
He's also the one that declared on multiple occasions that no good films ever came out of the 70s and that Robert Altman should be erased from the history of cinema. It's always seemed like he was just here to push peoples' buttons.
Oh it's this guy? If i had known that to begin with, i'd never have believed this thing was true for one second. OK FELLAS, LOCK IT UP!

Adam

#141 Post by Adam » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 pm

This was pretty fun & interesting to read for the first time.

Whether or not this particular story is true, I have a few friends at the UCLA and Academy Film Archives, and the places that films have been found is quite remarkable. Many seem to be, as mentioned before, the last theatre on the shipping chain, and they never get returned. Some collection was buried in a swimming pool that had been filled in with dirt, in Canada or Alaska, or something like that. Heck, Filmforum screened something at the Nuart in LA in 1999 or so that never got returned. I know it was sitting at the Landmark Theatre offices for years, but I don't know hat's happened to it. It was a really good film too, dealing with the Russian Space Program. If anyone is here with Landmark, please let me know.

Rufus T. Firefly

#142 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:38 am

Regarding Bardelys the Magnificent, this news articlestates at the end that Serge Bromberg has found a copy of the film.

Kinsayder

#143 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:15 am

How much of Sternberg's I, Claudius is known to exist? I ask because there was an old gent on London's LBC radio about a fortnight ago who said a friend of his who worked at Denham Film Studios had salvaged some old reels which contained about half an hour of the film.

I'm not sure how long ago this was, so it may be the same material that was used in the 1965 BBC documentary The Epic That Never Was (which I haven't seen).

Barmy

#144 Post by Barmy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:26 pm

They should turn this thread into a movie.

Antoine Doinel

#145 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:42 pm

...and then lose it.

Antares

#146 Post by Antares » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:38 am

Any truth to the rumor that 125100 is actually Stephen Glass? #-o

Oedipax

#147 Post by Oedipax » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:29 am

I did a double take when I saw myself listed as the author of this one! Not my hoax, folks :o

shumpy

#148 Post by shumpy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Following the 4 Devils debacle, I would never have believed this story about a supposed rediscovery of London After Midnight...but then, after the Metropolis find, I don't know what to believe anymore. I suppose it speaks to my skepticism that I'm posting in this particular thread, but anyway, decide for yourselves. (Apologies if this was previously posted somewhere else on the site.)

Kinsayder

#149 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Well, the Metropolis news came from Helmut Possmann, director of the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau Foundation, and from Martin Koerber. This London After Midnight story is from, um, Sid Terror of TheHorrorDrunx.com.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#150 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:43 pm

Of all the missing films, this is the "most sought after lost film in cinema history"? #-o