Mrinal Sen

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Awesome Welles

#1 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:13 am

I haven't found much discussion on Mrinal Sen in the DVD pages. There is very little, if nothing at all available. I have found this rather dodgy looking VCD of Calcutta 71 on ebay, although there is no specification as to whether or not it contains English subtitles (answer pending).

The only ability I have to get to Sen is two scripts of his films in my university library but I hardly think this is the best way to experience his work.

Has anyone else come across something, anything better on DVD?

acquarello

#2 Post by acquarello » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:17 am

Just to clarify, VCD of Calcutta 71 does not have English subs.

We discussed a bit about the availability of Mrinal Sen's films in this thread on Indian parallel cinema - both In Search of Famine and Ek Din Achanak (the third part of the Absence Trilogy) are available, although both are pretty washed out. Since then, Guerrilla Fighter and Antareen (The Confined) have been released in India, both average Sen films. The transfer is also not that great, and there's that intermittent "Max" logo that pops up every few minutes on the upper left of the screen.

kekid

#3 Post by kekid » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Four of his films available here.

Awesome Welles

#4 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:37 am

Wow, thanks.

Mise En Scene

Re: Mrinal Sen

#5 Post by Mise En Scene » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:15 am

A local library has the following:

Antarina / Antareen / The Confined
Kharij / The Case is Closed
Padatik / The Guerilla Fighter
Bhuvan Shome
Genesis

Any thoughts on these films? Which ones should be the first two or three I watch?