Three (James Salter, 1969)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Dylan

#1 Post by Dylan » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:49 am

A little-known late sixties drama that's not only currently unavailable, but has never seen the light of day on home video.

From Dennis Schwartz's review:
Two young American men of college age, Bert (Robie Porter) and Taylor (Sam Waterston), buy an old Peugeot and go on a summer holiday touring Italy and France. This is a marvelously refreshing on the road film, honestly characterizing the two best friends and what happens to change their relationship when they meet a vivacious young English woman named Marty (Charlotte Rampling). It is superbly acted and photographed and even if the Irwin Shaw short story the film is adapted from seems aimless, there is a poignancy that rings true underlining the inscrutability of the characters.

The personable young men do what tourists do when they want to see the beautiful sights of a country, taking time out to taste the Italian wine and meet a couple of native girls to show them around town. Since a one-night stand didn't materialize, the boys forget about the nice girls.

Bert is the more playful of the two and more sure of himself with women while Taylor, who is studying to be a lawyer, has a problem saying what he really feels. Taylor's father is a doctor and has provided money for the vacation; Bert is just getting by as he carefully watches his expenses, concerned about running out of money.

In Florence, Taylor gets into a conversation with the attractive Marty while out for a walk and she happily talks to the shy young man, making him feel good that she's not angry because he approached her. He introduces her to Bert and suggests the three travel together if they follow a set of rules, such as they keep their relationship platonic and pay their own expenses, this way they can avoid any entanglements.

Before leaving Florence they take a tour of the art museum, and the tour guide tells them of a poem about youth from the Lorenzo de Medici period. A line of it goes like this: "Whoever wants to be happy, enjoy it today because there is no certainty of tomorrow."
From an IMDB user:
I happened to see this film when off sick from school (possibly) some thirty years ago... Although I now recall very few details of the plot, the beauty of the then (almost) ingénue Charlotte Rampling drifting around Mediterranean locations, the strange, at least to a young boy, dynamics of the love triangle depicted and probably the overall impression I retain of an aura of autumnal melancholy have haunted me ever since. I'd love to see it again now as an adult (perhaps at the risk of experiencing my warm nostalgic feelings dissolve into disappointment?). Only the recent, but richly deserved renaissance of Ms Rampling's career as a character actor provides any glimmer of hope that this, admittedly minor, twilight of the 60s film will see a DVD release...
Sounds great, and Rampling and Waterston are magnificent actors. Has anybody seen it?

ranaing83

#2 Post by ranaing83 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:31 am

Wow, what a strange coincidence. I just happened to make a still from this film my computer's wallpaper about a week ago. I'm really curious about it and I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone here seen it or know how to get a hold of it?

jaredsap

#3 Post by jaredsap » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Count me as another who'd love to see this. I'm a huge fan of Salter's exquisite fiction and THREE seems in line with his major preoccupations.

Speaking of Salter's career in film, Paramount really needs to release DOWNHILL RACER (which he wrote).

Dylan

#4 Post by Dylan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:55 pm

Three is available from www.subcin.com and they rate the quality A. Since I seriously doubt any release if forthcoming, that is certainly the way we'll see it. The entire site has a ton of rare and wonderful-sounding films - anybody know what their DVD-R prices are?

jaredsap

#5 Post by jaredsap » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:15 pm

Dylan wrote:Three is available from www.subcin.com and they rate the quality A. Since I seriously doubt any release if forthcoming, that is certainly the way we'll see it. The entire site has a ton of rare and wonderful-sounding films - anybody know what their DVD-R prices are?
Thanks for the link. The owner of subcin.com initially wanted $25 (including shipping) for THREE, but I haggled him down to $20. Can't wait.

Person

#6 Post by Person » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:23 pm

jaredsap wrote:Speaking of Salter's career in film, Paramount really needs to release DOWNHILL RACER (which he wrote).
It is being released by Paramount next week in the UK.

Dylan

#7 Post by Dylan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:52 am

Finally had a chance to see this - so, an American film where body language and locales replace the articulation of words. The beginning provides an interesting sense of what it may have felt like to have gone backpacking through Europe in the late sixties (these scenes also kind of possess that lonely sense of interacting in any way in an open location that's foreign to yourself), but the main attraction is watching Sam Waterston and Charlotte Rampling so young. The story in itself doesn't add up to, nor does it really express, that much, but it's at the very least an interesting casualty in the long list of lost sixties American cinema.

If MGM starts to package vintage dramatic films in double features, this would be a good contender.