Alexander Ptushko

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:11 pm

Having very recently seen the wondrous and comical Viy, I have an urge to check out more films of this amazing director. The thing is, I need some recommendations on where to go next (and yes, I know this one was a directorial collaboration with two other directors but his eye and SFX flair is very evident throughout).

Ruscico has managed to put out practically all his important feature-length movies on DVD with English (and tons of other) subtitles, which is fantastic if you really think about it. So, the question remains: which one should I seek out next? Any fans around here?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:06 pm

I can strongly recommend Alye parusa / Scarlet Sails (1961).

tavernier

#3 Post by tavernier » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:46 am

Sadko, The Stone Flower and Ruslan and Lyudmila are all must-sees.

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:59 am

Oh, dear. I can now see myself having to get all his movies sooner or later. They do sound and look enchanting and myself being a Karel Zeman devotee, this is the next best thing.

Here's a page with many stopmotion animation clips and if you scroll down a bit, you'll find 4 for Ptushko. Enjoy.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 am

I don't think my DVD Times review of The Tale of Tsar Saltan is going to put you off - and I can thoroughly recommend Ilya Muromets as well.

(NB: The rule of thumb with Ruscico is to go for the PAL transfer whenever possible - their NTSC discs are poor-quality conversions from PAL masters)

unclehulot

#6 Post by unclehulot » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Does anyone know if Ruscico still has any plans for "The New Gulliver"? Seems like it was announced at one time, but there's no sign of it on their web site now.