The Best Books About Film

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
jguitar

Re: The Best Books About Film

#1026 Post by jguitar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 pm

This is not strictly a books about film post (though it encompasses that), but does anyone know of online sources for used Japanese books that will ship to the U.S.? I can often find these books in Amazon.jp, but the after market vendors don't usually want to ship outside Japan. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#1027 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 pm

jguitar wrote:This is not strictly a books about film post (though it encompasses that), but does anyone know of online sources for used Japanese books that will ship to the U.S.? I can often find these books in Amazon.jp, but the after market vendors don't usually want to ship outside Japan. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Have you tried the Advanced Book Exchange?

jguitar

#1028 Post by jguitar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 pm
jguitar wrote:This is not strictly a books about film post (though it encompasses that), but does anyone know of online sources for used Japanese books that will ship to the U.S.? I can often find these books in Amazon.jp, but the after market vendors don't usually want to ship outside Japan. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Have you tried the Advanced Book Exchange?
Yes -- sometimes useful, but like Oliver, I want more.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#1029 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Maybe try Alibaba?

jguitar

#1030 Post by jguitar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm
Maybe try Alibaba?
Embarrassingly, I haven't tried that. I'll give it a shot -- thanks!

Dr Amicus

#1031 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:18 am

For those interested in the history of cinema going, the oral history Enter the Dream-house: Memories of Cinemas in South London from the Twenties to the Sixties edited by Margaret O'Brien and Allen Eyles is fascinating and highly entertaining. Focussing on memories of going to and working in South London cinemas (and occasionally in the West End) as well as the films themselves it gives good first hand examples of how audiences chose and watched films - or in the case of the news cinemas at train stations, wanted a cheaper alternative to a hotel room for an office affair. Common complaints include continuous performances and being told "this is where we came in, time to go" - a feature which my parents (who are of a similar age to the interviewees in the book) don't recall ever happening locally.

On the film side, there seems more interest in film stars more than genres (the western being the dividing line - either loved or hated) - particular favourites quoted more than once include Stewart Granger and Old Mother Riley. One film which does get several mentions for being spectacular and scary (there is little other talk of the main horror films of the thirties and forties) is King Kong, which seems to have been treated as a horror film by the young filmgoers.

Anyway, the book as a whole is very nicely presented (it's the old style MOMI square book for those familiar with the format) with many photos of the cinemas mentioned and comes highly recommended. Seemingly long out of print (it came out in 1993, when I bought my copy even though I've only just read it!) but appears to be easily and cheaply available.

colinr0380

#1032 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:33 am

I wonder if that is because King Kong (and The Most Dangerous Game under its UK "The Hounds of Zaroff" title) was released as an A whilst others were placed under the more restrictive over 16s only "H" (for Horror) category. I don't know if there is a list anywhere of all the "H" rated titles.

It does sound like a fascinating read Dr Amicus! Would it appeal to someone who enjoyed The Smallest Show On Earth? :)

Gregory

#1033 Post by Gregory » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:43 pm

Coherent_Pause

#1034 Post by Coherent_Pause » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 pm

That's incredible Gregory, is it just a guide to the art of propaganda? Or does he genuinely have some passion for cinema?

Cronenfly

#1035 Post by Cronenfly » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Anyone bought anything from Strange Attractor before? I’m contemplating the second Stephen Thrower Jess Franco book but I’m having trouble using their site. It won’t let me calculate postage or change the number of items in my cart.