Salacious Biographies

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Antoine Doinel

#76 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue May 22, 2007 2:10 am

Here's a nice interview with Granger about the book and his career.

David Ehrenstein

#77 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue May 22, 2007 11:43 am

Donald Spoto has written a biography of Alan Bates that's about to come out -- "outing " Bates for the five people who didn't know he was gay.

Matt

#78 Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 1:53 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:Donald Spoto has written a biography of Alan Bates that's about to come out -- "outing " Bates for the five people who didn't know he was gay.
What I wouldn't give for a time machine and the guts to chat up Alan Bates circa The Caretaker.

patrick

#79 Post by patrick » Tue May 22, 2007 4:14 pm

My friend recently saw Kenneth Anger speak, and said that afterwards he was told that Julianne Moore is one of the major targets of Hollywood Babylon III, but he wasn't told why.

Matt

#80 Post by Matt » Tue May 22, 2007 6:50 pm

patrick wrote:My friend recently saw Kenneth Anger speak, and said that afterwards he was told that Julianne Moore is one of the major targets of Hollywood Babylon III, but he wasn't told why.
Anger is so addle-pated at this point that he's probably confusing Julianne Moore with Juanita Moore.

feckless boy

#81 Post by feckless boy » Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 pm

And eventually "...take my hips to a man who cares..."

Lino

#82 Post by Lino » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:40 am

Ok, what's the best book (salaciously speaking) on Liz?

Matt

#83 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Lino wrote:Ok, what's the best book (salaciously speaking) on Liz?
I haven't read it, but surely it's got to be the Kitty Kelley book. Of course, that was published in 1981, so you'd be missing a whole quarter-century worth of gossip on Michael Jackson, Rock Hudson, and Larry Fortenski (for starters). Then again, it would be untempered by attempts at hagiography for her tireless AIDS charity work and declining health.

Michael

#84 Post by Michael » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:10 am

I'm looking for the best biography of Judy Garland to spend the rest of the summer. Years ago I read one called Get Happy which I found dull but from that book, I learned that Tom Drake was gay and to come to think of it, all the young guys in Meet Me in St. Louis are HOT and how fantastic it must be playing one of the Smith sisters.

Recommendations please?

Michael

#85 Post by Michael » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:29 pm

Has anyone here read this?

mentalist

#86 Post by mentalist » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:56 am

tryavna wrote:Maureen O'Hara's autobiography is pretty salacious -- and perhaps a little bitter, too. Anyway, she talks about accidentally seeing John Ford and a famous male star (whom she doesn't name) kissing.

Then, of course, there's Ford's notorious sex hygiene "documentary" he made for the army.
Ever seen his early Fox Film The Blue Eagle, or at least what remains of it? I clearly remember a slightly gratuitous scene of sweaty (dripping with) bare chested seamen working in the bowels of a ship and wondering myself whether Ford may have found the whole scene ... alluring.

SheriffAmbrose

#87 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:02 am

tryavna wrote:Then, of course, there's Ford's notorious sex hygiene "documentary" he made for the army.
Can someone please elaborate on exactly what goes on in this hygiene film?

tryavna

#88 Post by tryavna » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:37 am

SheriffAmbrose wrote:Can someone please elaborate on exactly what goes on in this hygiene film?
In the footnote at the bottom, DVD Savant gives a pretty good description of the more grotesque elements of the film, except that he fails to mention all the shots of soldiers washing their genitals.

What is particularly telling, as Joseph MacBride points out in his biography of Ford, is that the only Ford film that deals explicitly with sex "makes the subject seem thoroughly revolting."

EDIT: Why don't you just watch it for yourself. It should be the first video at the top of this Google Video page. (Don't watch it near any meal times.)

SheriffAmbrose

#89 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 pm

tryavna wrote:Why don't you just watch it for yourself. It should be the first video at the top of this Google Video page. (Don't watch it near any meal times.)
Cool thanks!

Fletch F. Fletch

#90 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Not a salacious biography, more like a salacious autobiography by Kathleen Turner entitled Send Yourself Roses. New York Times has an interview with her.

An excerpt:
Burt Reynolds? “Burt was just nasty,” she writes.
meow!

Michael

#91 Post by Michael » Sat May 10, 2008 9:17 am

Has anyone read Under the Rainbow: An Intimate Memoir of Judy Garland, Rock Hudson and My Life in Old Hollywood by John Carlyle?

Judy and Rock are among my favorite people but I have never heard of John Carlyle. Any comments?

Michael

#92 Post by Michael » Sun May 18, 2008 7:09 am

You got that right, I never read John Carlyle's book. But that book you're recommending sounds so much more fascinating. I'm going to pick it up. Thanks.