Classic Japanese Silent Film on DVD

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Anonymous

Classic Japanese Silent Film on DVD

#1 Post by Anonymous » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:18 am

Is there any chance to get some of the classic silent Japanese films like "Soul on the Road" (1921, Ushihara Kiyohiko) or Ito Daisukes Samurai-films on DVD? There is an excessive CD-Rom floating around, but the costs for this DVD are about 200 US. A Criterion release with selected and restored classics of this silent era would be a project for the ages!

Steven H

#2 Post by Steven H » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:35 am

Japanese silent film (and a number of films from the 30s in general) is truly in a sad state. There are a handful of silent Ozu films available with english subtitles (here's a related thread), the CD-ROM you mention, and that's about it. I believe there's a little bit more than that available on VHS in Japan (six silent Shimizu Hiroshi films, at least), but I can't find any etailer links (might be out of print.)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:51 am

As far as I can tell, all the Japanese silent film video releases are out of print.

There are no Shimizu DVDs at all. And no DVDs of any other very early Japanese films.

All of Ozu's silents are out on DVD in Japan -- a few of these have been released with subtitled intertitles in Hong Kong (by Panorama).

manicsounds

What Made Her Do It? (Shigeyoshi Suzuki, 1929) R2 JP

#4 Post by manicsounds » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:28 am

What Made Her Do It? (Shigeyoshi Suzuki, 1929) R2 JP

Nani ga kanojo o sô saseta ka

HMV

Considered a lost film for more than 60 years, a surviving print was found is Russia in 1994 of this controversial film. 37% of the film has been lost, and intertitles have been created for the missing elements.

This is the first time the film is available on DVD in the world, and also as a change and hopefully a new trend, English subtitles are provided.

As extras, a 44 page booklet (most likely in Japanese only) and 35 surviving minutes of the director's 1927 film " Yami no Tejina" [Dark Magic(?) I don't know if there is an English title for this film]

Sanjuro

#5 Post by Sanjuro » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 am

Are you sure it has English subs? Amazon and other such places only note Japanese subs.

Edit: Oh, wait. I found one site which mentions English subs. Great!
Edit-Edit: Mind you 10 others disagree...

lubitsch

#6 Post by lubitsch » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:52 am

The film will be released by Edition Filmmuseum, too. This release will certainly have English subtitles.

Sanjuro

#7 Post by Sanjuro » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Just in case any new folk come across this newly combined thread in the top forum decrying the lack of silent Japanese DVDs and get confused here some links:

New Shimizu silent box set discussion is here.
Digital Meme silent Mizoguchi etc discussion is here
And of course, Eclipse Ozu discussion is right over here

htdm

#8 Post by htdm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Sanjuro wrote:Are you sure it has English subs?
Just got this - it definitely has English subs!

bollibasher

#9 Post by bollibasher » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:22 am

For reference some may be interested in the following report on the Pordenone Festival of Silent Film 2005 which focused on Japanese Cinema:

Midnight Eye Pordenone Report

Chris xx

the dancing kid

A Page of Madness (1926)

#10 Post by the dancing kid » Tue May 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Teinosuke Kinugasa's A Page of Madness / Kurutta ippeji (1926)

From Aaron Gerow's website:
A colleague informs me that a DVD of the film will be released in 2009, so stay tuned for info on that as well.
Gerow also has a monograph on the film forthcoming from the Center for Japanese Studies at the University of Michigan.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: A Page of Madness

#11 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue May 06, 2008 2:34 pm

the dancing kid wrote:From Aaron Gerow's website:
A colleague informs me that a DVD of the film will be released in 2009, so stay tuned for info on that as well.
Gerow also has a monograph on the film forthcoming from the Center for Japanese Studies at the University of Michigan.
I recently heard AG give a presentation on Page of Madness -- he provided some surprising information on this film. The book should be very interesting.

lady wakasa

#12 Post by lady wakasa » Wed May 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Note to self: pick up copies of Kurutta ippeji book and DVD when available. Take that, Bad Print Available From Unnamed Place in the Midwest!

Now if only Limite would finally come out ...