The Lion King (Jon Favreau, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Jon Favreau's "live-action" The Lion King
pixelated boat wrote:Sure, the original Lion King was fine, but what if we spent $200 million on making it look like a tech demo
Last edited by Never Cursed on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 pm

Literally just looks like a CGI carbon copy of the original animated version, what is the point

Big Ben

#3 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 pm
Literally just looks like a CGI carbon copy of the original animated version, what is the point
As you well know there's cash value in nostalgia and reintroducing the story to a new generation seems like a no brainer. Add in folks like Donald Glover and Beyonce and you have a cash cow. I imagine this will make Disney beaucoup bucks. Can't say my reaction is any different from yours however. I imagine they'll rework some plot points and add or remove songs here and there.

Murdoch

#4 Post by Murdoch » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:32 pm

I'm happy to watch the remakes centering on real people like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, but this really does look like Disney threw CGI over the original and sent it off.

beasled

Re: The Lion King (Jon Favreau, 2019)

#5 Post by beasled » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 am

With Not Harry Potter And The Something Or Other being as popular as it is I'm surprised they haven't decided to a live action version of The Sword In The Stone.

movielocke

#6 Post by movielocke » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:53 am

domino harvey wrote:Literally just looks like a CGI carbon copy of the original animated version, what is the point
That is the point. Jungle book was just r&d and a test to make sure the concept works. they wouldn’t damage the IP of lion king if jungle book failed or was a gross uncanny valley outcome, but lion king is always the one they wanted to do.

And beauty and the beast outgrossed marvel movies and did last Jedi rouge one numbers, their expectations are probably that lion king will challenge force awakens and avatar numbers, so they’re going to try to maintain the level of adherence beauty and the beast managed.

Remember before beauty and the beast came out there were numerous videos showing how identical the shots were from the trailers, but the final film was actually fairly different visually and in how it handled story and character beats. Turns out the trailer construction was built around deliberately invoking nostalgia subliminally via shot selection etc more than the trailer reflected the actual style of the film.

And most people are worried that “they’ll ruin it” not that they will make too faithful an adaptation and the marketing needs to reassure the people worried about the integrity of “my” lion king.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:20 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 pm
Lazy (legal) way to make tons of money, who wouldn't take the opportunity ?

David M.

#8 Post by David M. » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:06 pm

These pointless remakes are win-win for Disney. All Beauty and the Beast did was make me want to watch the far better animated version. Disney owns both, so they have nothing to lose.

On a purely critical level though, these things look kind of grotesque. Skilled 2D animation has an inherent graphical appeal. Photorealism, not so much.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm

I could care less about the Lion King's legacy, as I don't consider it a particularly remarkable Disney movie to begin with. Obviously nostalgia and a marketable property mean this will make big bux. But I find it bizarre that people are defending this as making the film accessible for a new generation: how little do people think of the current crop of kids alive now that they think they couldn't connect to an animated movie from the 90s?

ianthemovie

#10 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:22 pm

movielocke wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:53 am
Remember before beauty and the beast came out there were numerous videos showing how identical the shots were from the trailers, but the final film was actually fairly different visually and in how it handled story and character beats.
This was true of Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella, too, which borrowed certain elements from the animated version and jettisoned or re-imagined others. It definitely was not just a shot-for-shot remake. Nevertheless the digital mise-en-scene (everything covered in nauseating CGI glitter) of that film and Beauty and the Beast was exhausting and over-stylized and kind of eye-raping, and with little of the visual artistry or narrative simplicity of the animated versions.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Literally all I remember about Branagh's Cinderella is that the costumes looked incredible and that no one wearing them was exerting as much effort as the designers!

knives

#12 Post by knives » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm
I could care less about the Lion King's legacy, as I don't consider it a particularly remarkable Disney movie to begin with. Obviously nostalgia and a marketable property mean this will make big bux. But I find it bizarre that people are defending this as making the film accessible for a new generation: how little do people think of the current crop of kids alive now that they think they couldn't connect to an animated movie from the 90s?
I find that is a common misconception developed because people don't add up the years. Over thanksgiving a relative was saying the same thing not realizing until I pointed it out that Snow White was made in '39. He had thought all those classics were from the '80s and '90s.

movielocke

#13 Post by movielocke » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:I could care less about the Lion King's legacy, as I don't consider it a particularly remarkable Disney movie to begin with. Obviously nostalgia and a marketable property mean this will make big bux. But I find it bizarre that people are defending this as making the film accessible for a new generation: how little do people think of the current crop of kids alive now that they think they couldn't connect to an animated movie from the 90s?
That is bizarre,
It’s not making anything more accessible for a new generation, it is a “servicing” of the intellectual property in order to maximize revenue flows from said. Meaning these remakes stimulate a ton of sales of the classic as well as reaping new revenue for theatrical, international markets, merchandising and the new versions home video.

It’s why once game of thrones is done, WB will probably be announcing a seven year Harry Potter series of “tv” adaptations for their new mega streaming Goliath service. Because they want to service that HP IP.

Roger Ryan

#14 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:45 am

knives wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24 pm
...Over thanksgiving a relative was saying the same thing not realizing until I pointed it out that Snow White was made in '39...
Actually, Snow White debuted in 1937. Disney was able to successfully re-release all of its classic films (animated or not), bringing them "out-of-the-vault", every few years until the home video releases became the norm (and then the home video releases were quickly made OOP to create demand for future home video releases of the same titles). Since theatrical re-releases of the original films no longer do much at the box office (regardless of the OOP status, all of those home video releases made the titles much more accessible), it just makes sense to remake them. It has little to do with appealing to a 21st century child who, theoretically, won't watch something as primitive as cell animation; it's just offering a known commodity that parents will feel comfortable opening wallets for to keep the little ones entertained for a couple of hours.

Finch

#15 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm

If all of the new Lion King is computer-generated, it seems weird to label it as a live action remake.

knives

#16 Post by knives » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:20 pm

All of the characters are, but the sets aren't ala that movie Dinosaur Disney did two decades ago or so.

Persona

#18 Post by Persona » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Can't wait for Claire Denis' live-action Frozen.

I will say this, someone put Moonlight audio on a Lion King trailer and it was actually kind of beautiful and a million times better than the actual movie.

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Jenkins is getting Coogler'd.

Nasir007

#20 Post by Nasir007 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:50 am

What an extraordinary match of director and material.

And this is a director for hire gig. Maybe the money was good but then again maybe the script was.