A Safe Place (Henry Jaglom, 1971)

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
Dylan

#1 Post by Dylan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:43 pm

I watched the Turner Classic Movies documentary last night "Edge of Outside," and it showed a few interesting shots from this now long-forgotten low budget 1971 film starring Tuesday Weld, Orson Welles, and Jack Nicholson. Apparently, the entire film is Weld daydreaming in-between talks with various boyfriends and Welles's magician character. I found the trailer here, and it looks fun (Welles is always so good, and it uses a lovely Charles Trenet song that was later used in "The Dreamers"):

http://www.standard8media.com/henry/jag ... s/safe.mov

Apparently the only way to see it is through Facets, which stocks a DVD. There is a bootleg on eBay that is reportedly terrible, so I wouldn't recommend that if this sparks anybody's interest. I'm not sure how 'good' this film might be, but I'm wondering if people here have seen it...it certainly looks fun and interesting.

David Ehrenstein

#2 Post by David Ehrenstein » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:26 am

It's not good at all. In fact I'd rank it below Sex Kittens Go to College in the Tuesday oeuvre

Pretty Poison, meanwhile, is coming out on DVD shortly.

Wish someone would put out Play It As It Lays.

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:53 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:It's not good at all.
Ditto. I subjected to myself to a near-complete (at the time) Jaglom retrospective once and came away unconvinced. All of the films seemed much more interesting on paper than on the screen. You'd be better off reading the cast lists and imagining how great they could be.