Quest for Fire (Jean-Jacques Annaud, 1981)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lino

Quest for Fire (Jean-Jacques Annaud, 1981)

#1 Post by Lino » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:51 am

This is a film I recommend to everyone. Highly entertaining, beautifully conceived, amazingly photographed and bravely done. Not a word of dialogue in sight but riveting from beginning to end. Anyone interested in great cinema should give this one a go. But I will let the reviews say the rest:

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?se ... region=%25

Gigi M.

#2 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 pm

Myra Breckinridge wrote:This is a film I recommend to everyone. Highly entertaining, beautifully conceived, amazingly photographed and bravely done. Not a word of dialogue in sight but riveting from beginning to end. Anyone interested in great cinema should give this one a go. But I will let the reviews say the rest:

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?se ... region=%25
Thanks Annie. I absolutely love this movie. I'm buying it.

Gordon

#3 Post by Gordon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:42 pm

Undoubtedly, one of the most interesting and unusual films ever made and a firm favourite of mine. Ron Perlman's movements are amazing. Written by J.H. Rosny Snr. which was the joint pseudonom of brothers, Séraphin Justin François Boex and Joseph Henri Honoré Boex, who rank among the founders of science fiction literature. The hugely talented Gérard Brach - Polanksi's regular script writer - adapted the book and Jean-Jacques Annaud's vision is strong. I love it for its uniqueness; I wish there were more films set pre-6000 BP. Needless to say, I am greatly looking forward to Malick's, The Tree of Life.

I feel that Quest for Fire is the most persausive and intriguing film regarding Man's reliance on technology. After millions of years of Habit, Novelty finally grew out exponentially after fire was mastered and ultimately sent man on his journey to the stars. Quest for Fire might be viewed as an interlude between the "Dawn of Man" epilogue in 2001 and the waltzing space escapades.

Bless you for having more guts than me in posting this entry, Myra! I thought about it, but, for once, I restrained myself! But it's a terrific film and the Fox DVD is a real beauty, JJ sheds much light on the production in his commentary in a very enjoyable manner. I wish he made more films, though.