Friends & Lovers (George Haas, 1999)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
King of Kong

Friends & Lovers (George Haas, 1999)

#1 Post by King of Kong » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:10 am

Caught this on TV last night. I know it's considered an indie classic by some, but I hated it - poorly acted and with a script that defines innane (definitely sub-sitcom quality). Even Robert Downey Jr (or Claudia Schiffer) couldn't save this one.

For once, Ebert gets it right - his review absolutely hits the nail on the head.

Discuss.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2 Post by cdnchris » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:40 am

King of Kong wrote:I know it's considered an indie classic by some
Really? I can't believe that. I caught this when it first appeared on a movie channel. I believe I watched it simply because Ebert's review made me curious. I barely remember the film but I remember thinking it was an utter turd of a film. I had actually completely forgotten about this one, and it took me a bit to place that title. Ebert's review finally jogged my memory a bit. And unfortunately the one memory is a totally bizarre, really out of left field, cock shot.

King of Kong

#3 Post by King of Kong » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:04 am

cdnchris wrote:And unfortunately the one memory is a totally bizarre, really out of left field, cock shot.
For those who haven't seen the film, try to imagine a penis shot in an episode of Friends. It helped that there were some boobies on display later in the film, but it still sucked.

If you're a fan of bad movies, see it - you may be mildly entertained - just read Ebert's list, it has everything you could possibly want from a shitty movie.

There's also a sentimental father-son reunion subplot thrown in (complete with a gooey soundtrack that wouldn't be out of place in a Hallmark Channel drama - in fact, the whole film has the feel of a Hallmark Channel drama with a gratuitous cock-shot - imagine that, if you dare).

tryavna

#4 Post by tryavna » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:10 pm

Ha! I had a friend who helped organize that first Overlooked Film Festival. I've lost touch with her in the past couple of years, but now I'd like to know if she helped pick that particular film and what she thinks of Ebert's review. (I remember her telling me that Ebert was on the phone an awful lot while he was there.)