Turner Classic Movies

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
willoneill

Re: Turner Classic Movies

#376 Post by willoneill » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:18 pm

If so many of the early films are PD, I wonder why TCM Canada isn't airing all of them?

Werewolf by Night

Turner Classic Movies

#377 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:26 pm

The films might be in the public domain in the US, but might not be in Canada.

Minkin

#378 Post by Minkin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't have the DVR space, but can whoever is recording these look out for what licensor (if any) is present at the beginning?

We know that (in addition to the already announced titles) that Young and Innocent and Sabotage are with Criterion.

I'm most curious as to the status of Secret Agent and Number 17 - as both of those have had Janus credits at some point in time, but nothing all that recent. Also if someone could check Easy Virtue and The Pleasure Garden (as both of those should be from the same source as The Lodger). I'd expect Lionsgate / Studio Canal on the other Hitchcock silents not mentioned above.

Much obliged!

Fred Holywell

#379 Post by Fred Holywell » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Romy Schneider fans might like to check out TCM this Wed nite/Thur morning. All times ET.

8:00 PM
SISSI (1955)
A young vibrant princess catches the eye of her sister's fiancé, Emperor Franz Josef.
Dir: Ernst Marischka
Cast: Romy Schneider, Karl Boehm, Gustav Knuth.
C- 106 mins

10:00 PM
SISSI: THE YOUNG EMPRESS (1956)
A young empress adjusts to married life and the new strict rules that follow.
Cast: Romy Schneider, Karl Boehm, Magda Schneider.
C-106 mins

12:00 AM
SISSI: THE FATEFUL YEARS OF AN EMPRESS (1957)
The adventures of the young empress traveling through Austria.
C-109 mins

2:00 AM
FOREVER MY LOVE (1962)
The romantic "Sissi" trilogy condensed into one film.
C-145 mins, CC

4:45 AM
THE STORY OF VICKIE (1954)
The romantic adventures of a young soon-to-be Queen Victoria.
Cast: Romy Schneider, Adrian Hoven, Magda Schneider.
C-110 mins

Minkin

#380 Post by Minkin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:51 am

For some reason TCM has been keeping their evening lineup for today (December 13th) a secret, as both my DVR + the website indicate TBA.

The TCM forum isn't sure what's playing either, but say the lineup will be "announced live on air"

I've never seen them do this in all the years I've been following. I don't have DVR space to record the entire 10 hour block - so I'll probably miss out. I just hope its not some rare / special films that they otherwise don't want to make public until the last minute. Or perhaps this conspiracy will just be for something mundane.

So everyone tune in tomorrow and find out whats going on.

Ribs

#381 Post by Ribs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 am

Deadline is reporting they will be a selection of this year’s national film registry entrants, which were announced today

Minkin

#382 Post by Minkin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Ribs wrote:Deadline is reporting they will be a selection of this year’s national film registry entrants, which were announced today
Yeah, this is what ended up being the case. Although I'm disappointed that they didn't chose some of the more difficult to see / rarer choices from the inductee list (like how is anyone supposed to see Lives of Performers (1972)?)

Werewolf by Night

#383 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Dave Karger and Alicia Malone are in as regular hosts on TCM, Tiffany Vazquez is out.

okcmaxk

#384 Post by okcmaxk » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:Dave Karger and Alicia Malone are in as regular hosts on TCM, Tiffany Vazquez is out.
That’s too bad, I liked Tiffany Vazquez. I wonder why she’s being asked to leave and or being fired?

Ribs

#385 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:24 pm

She's not been fired - she's been reassigned to a special events role. So it's possible she might become the main person for the Fathom Events intros, or something like that.

I like Alicia Malone well enough, but the new Filmstruck TCM Selects intros with Mankiewicz really hit home with a level of polish that I've felt lacking in much of the Filmstruck original content. I look forward to seeing her get to work on some hopefully better material on the actual channel.

okcmaxk

#386 Post by okcmaxk » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Ribs wrote:She's not been fired - she's been reassigned to a special events role. So it's possible she might become the main person for the Fathom Events intros, or something like that.
Great! It just seemed by Werewolf by Night’s comment that she was permanently leaving, but at least she’s still at the network, so thanks for clarifying.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#387 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Alicia Malone looks like Jane Levy. I hope you all appreciated my hard-hitting take on this news

flyonthewall2983

#388 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 pm

Is she still doing the Filmstruck podcast too?

Werewolf by Night

#389 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 pm

She’ll still continue all of her duties with Filmstruck.

Werewolf by Night

#390 Post by Werewolf by Night » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:03 pm

TCM really kept a tight lid on this news; Malone's intros have already started airing today.

Feego

#391 Post by Feego » Thu May 10, 2018 9:46 am

Marlene Dietrich is star of the month for May, and her films are kicking off tonight with The Blue Angel at 8:00 pm eastern, followed by The Scarlet Empress, Shanghai Express, Morocco and Blonde Venus. The Devil Is a Woman will air next Thursday at 10:00 pm eastern. It may be worth checking to see if the Hollywood Sternbergs will be the new restorations in Criterion's upcoming set or just the same old masters they've aired before. Oddly, Dishonored is not included in the lineup.

Feego

#392 Post by Feego » Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 am

Just to update, I only caught a little bit of The Scarlet Empress and Shanghai Express last night, but they were definitely the old masters, complete with the noticeable cut on the latter.

Roscoe

#393 Post by Roscoe » Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 am

Hard to tell about SCARLET EMPRESS -- it certainly looked cleaner and clearer than the old Criterion DVD, but it didn't have the Janus/Criterion logo before it. SHANGHAI EXPRESS was clearly the old master -- and the missing dialogue was not restored.

FrauBlucher

#394 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Hughes' The Outlaw is currently on TCM. This just may be one of the worst westerns eva.

FrauBlucher

#395 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:22 pm

FrauBlucher

#396 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#397 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:39 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm
31 Days of Oscar Schedule
Worth keeping in mind that we'll be doing a simultaneous Oscar Lists Project this spring covering all films nominated for Best Picture in a couple different concurrent lists, so set your DVRs for any of the rarer Best Pic nominees/winners!

Lowry_Sam

#398 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 pm

...but you can’t watch it unless you already subscribe to a cable provider, which makes its appearance on Roku pointless.

However I was happy to find Shout TV is also available on Roku, but with no such problem, they even have a few Criterion titles, as well as some titles with the option to listen to the commentary.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#399 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:19 pm

This sounds ominous:

AT&T’s WarnerMedia restructuring breaks apart Turner Broadcasting
Under AT&T’s new restructuring plan for its media operations, Atlanta-based Turner Broadcasting will disappear into the annals of history.

Turner will be splintered or absorbed into three newly created entities.

The Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources, said the overhaul is expected to lead to cost cutting and layoffs that will certainly impact Atlanta operations. It noted that Dallas-based AT&T is “currently saddled with about $170 billion in net debt, the most of any non-financial U.S. company.”
Warner Bros., another division of WarnerMedia, will oversee Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang and Turner Classic Movies. It will be run by Warner Bros. Chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara and is described as a “new global kids and young adults business” in the release although TCM doesn’t quite fit that description.

Mr. Pingboom

#400 Post by Mr. Pingboom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm

The AJC blog post seems to me just like a poorly summarized version of the press release. The full press release says:
Warner Bros.’ film, television, and games operations will add a new Global Kids & Young Adults business that brings together the family, kids and animation efforts from across WarnerMedia, including Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Boomerang. Additionally, Otter Media, Turner Classic Movies and all activities around licensed consumer products development for WarnerMedia properties will also reside here. Kevin Tsujihara will spearhead these efforts and continue to lead Warner Bros. which, under his direction, has become the only studio with premiere positions in television, film and videogames.
That the division that includes TCM is being led by the Warner Bros. studio head (and not by one of the TV guys—Zucker or Greenblatt—is, to me, the best possible outcome of this restructuring. I'm still not optimistic for the long-term survival of TCM, but then I'm not optimistic about the long-term survival of much of anything right now.