The Fox (Mark Rydell, 1967)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Taketori Washizu

#1 Post by Taketori Washizu » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:20 pm

Anyone know who owns the rights to this film and why it still hasn't been available in the U.S.? A DVD would be appreciated. I was reading Ebert's four star review and it piqued my interest. Sandy Dennis and Keir Dullea! Dullea rarely got lead roles. He should be known for more than just Dave Bowman.

Taketori Washizu

#2 Post by Taketori Washizu » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:30 am

I guess no one has anything to say about it? Must validate its obscurity.

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:41 pm

I knew I had heard of this before, and the poster looks familiar (though it also reminds me of the "Whiter Shade of Pale" album). I just looked it up on the IMDB; much of its crew went on to do other films, including cinematographer William Fraker, composer Lalo Schifrin ("The Fox" score was nominated for an Oscar), and director Mark Rydell. It also won the "Best English-language foreign film" Golden Globe (they don't give that out anymore do they?).

Somebody on an IMDB board wrote:

You can find the film on Ebay from time to time, but it's usually $20 or so once bidding is complete, and it's VHS.

None are on auction at the moment. Another person wrote that they've seen it and it is 'a masterpiece,' but they didn't say too much else.

It sounds interesting, and I have a hard time believing that nobody here has seen it, but maybe it's really that obscure. I think Jack Cardiff's 1960 film of "Sons and Lovers" is great, and it's also been out of circulation for years (though I saw it widescreen on Fox Movie Channel a few years ago, and it's on R2 DVD now), so I'm not sure what it is with getting these Lawrence adaptations out there...this one is particularly obscure.

kinjitsu

#4 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:56 pm

davidhare wrote:I guess I'm obliged to post on this as I'm obviously the only member old enough to have seen it.
Not!

After the Fox!

Taketori Washizu

#5 Post by Taketori Washizu » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:32 pm

David,

Damnit, you didn't have to divulge that much! I would like to see it regardless because I will see Sandy Dennis in anything and Keir Dullea in a leading role is a rarity.

kinjitsu

#6 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Taketori Washizu wrote:David,

Damnit, you didn't have to divulge that much! I would like to see it regardless because I will see Sandy Dennis in anything and Keir Dullea in a leading role is a rarity.
What's so hot about Sandy Dennis?

Taketori Washizu

#7 Post by Taketori Washizu » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:54 am

Attractive? Not my type. I find her neurotic, quirky quality fascinating, especially when put to great use in say Altman's Come Back to the Five & Dime. I was just stating that David should have included *spoilers* if he was going to leak vital plot information. I would rather see the film first and judge it accordingly.

My main question still hasn't been answered. Who owns the distribution rights and what has kept the film from never having a home video or DVD release, ever?

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:26 am

Taketori, part of the film is available on DVD! That is, if you can content yourself with just the trailer... :wink:

Dylan

#9 Post by Dylan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:08 pm

TCM showed a reportedly very good-looking print of Mark Rydell's film of The Fox on June 27. I think it sounds very strange and interesting.

From TCM's website:

[quote]For whatever reason, Sandy Dennis had a way of being around when Hollywood fell into moral-panic mode during the 1960s, as Production Code censorship broke down and the new MPAA ratings system was born. She was in the adaptation of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? that sparked earnest discussions in 1966 between Warner Bros. and the MPAA, which was edgy about the cinematic debuts of the word “screwâ€

Person

#10 Post by Person » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 pm

I'd love to finally see this movie, as it has intrigued me for years.

Barmy

#11 Post by Barmy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Looks like a good flick. Any bootleg sources?

Dylan

#12 Post by Dylan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:33 pm

Barmy wrote:Looks like a good flick. Any bootleg sources?
A DVD-R (I'm assuming a direct port of the TCM broadcast since its quality is rated high and the print is listed as being letterboxed) is available from ioffer.

Barmy

#13 Post by Barmy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:49 pm

Many thanks. I ordered it.

Dylan

#14 Post by Dylan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:47 pm

Barmy, how was it? I've since heard Lalo Schifrin's score, which is very good.

Dylan

#15 Post by Dylan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:40 pm

bump (see above post)

Barmy

#16 Post by Barmy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:48 pm

Ignore david hare's militant rant. This is a good film (though no masterpiece). The print used by TCM is in excellent shape.

The relationship between the 2 women is implicitly, but not explicitly, Lesbianic. And anyway, there is nothing inherently homophobic about a woman leaving a woman for a man. But admittedly this is yet another one of Sandy Dennis' "hey I'm a mouse and no one will ever love me" roles.

The cinematography is beautiful. Lots of scenes in firelit rooms. Dullea in particular is bathed frequently in a golden glow. The Oscar-nominated score is good.

The story line is hardly genius. I'm not sure exactly what Lawrence was trying to say with this. I'm a Lawrence fan but have to admit that he seems very dated now. But for me that's part of his appeal.

Anyway, if you have any interest in Lawrence, Dennis or Dullea, I would definitely recommend this.

Barmy

#17 Post by Barmy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:15 pm

The non-Sandy Dennis chick is frontally (kind of) nude, in a solo scene. I doubt Sandy Dennis has ever been nude.

It's a good flick, very high quality, like so many films made during the Golden Age of cinema (1967-1976). But there were hundreds of better films made during that era.

Dylan

#18 Post by Dylan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Barmy, thanks for your thoughts, it really does sound fascinating and I've grown to love the music since I first heard it. Also good to hear that the DVDR from ioffer is of high quality. Whenever I have a chance to see this I'll post my thoughts.

tavernier

#19 Post by tavernier » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:23 pm

Dylan wrote:Barmy, thanks for your thoughts
Is that the first time that's ever been posted here?