Steve Albini (1962-2024)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Gregor Samsa

Steve Albini (1962-2024)

#1 Post by Gregor Samsa » Wed May 08, 2024 12:28 pm

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Passages

#2 Post by Drucker » Wed May 08, 2024 1:04 pm

Gregor Samsa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:28 pm
Steve Albini.
Completely gutted. Big Black remain one of my favorite bands and I think achieve nearly everything that makes punk rock great. And the albums he engineered of course are among the best of the last few decades, and Goat and Pod are still some of my absolute favorite of all time. My band played a Big Black cover set for Halloween in 2010. He made a great appearance on Conan O'Brien's podcast a few months ago with Dave Grohl and Krist Novaselic. Just absolutey gutted.
Last edited by Drucker on Wed May 08, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dadaistnun

#3 Post by dadaistnun » Wed May 08, 2024 1:10 pm

After Nina Nastasia's (abusive) partner took his own life and she was of course feeling unmoored with nowhere to go, Albini & his wife insisted she come to live with them for quite a long time until she was back on her feet and ready to record again. That anecdote alone made me think so much more of him as a person in addition to his great work in the studio.

beamish14

#4 Post by beamish14 » Wed May 08, 2024 1:35 pm

Drucker wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:04 pm
Gregor Samsa wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:28 pm
Steve Albini.
Completely gutted. Big Black remain one of my favorite bands and I think achieve nearly everything that makes punk rock great. And the albums he engineered of course are among the best of the last few decades, and Goat and Pod are still some of my absolute favorite of all time. My band played a Big Black cover set for Halloween in 2010. He made a great appearance on Conan O'Brien's podcast a few months ago with Dave Grohl and Krist Novaselic[/url]. Just absolutey gutted.

POD is incredible. I could listen to “Lime House” on repeat for an hour. This is just an astronomical loss for music. I bought many albums just because he recorded them

I have a framed vinyl of Big Black’s Atomizer in my office. The way he screams “Set me on fire!” in “Kerosene” never fails to hit mei’m going to ask

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Wed May 08, 2024 4:31 pm

He produced so many great albums, including personal favourites like Rid of Me, After Murder Park and Secret Name, but I think his four albums for Magnolia Electric Co might be his lasting legacy, and they sound nothing like much of the music that made him famous.
Lonesome Valley

On the other hand, and also fantastic:
The Power of Independent Trucking

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2024 4:47 pm

And before those, Molina recorded this Songs: Ohio “Steve Albini Blues”

For those who haven’t read it, this long piece of advice Albini penned against signing with a major label was gospel for many an indie band since

And my favorite Albini recording is the album Axes by Electrelane, which is mixed to be one hour-long piece of continuous music, with songs bleeding into each other with no breathing room (which was contentious at the time, as I remember many friends hating it, but I think it holds up as a masterpiece of an album)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#7 Post by Drucker » Wed May 08, 2024 5:30 pm

Albini also championed a band called Silkworm and engineered most (all?) of their albums, having been a high school classmate of one of the members. Alibini gets a lot of screen time with some funny anecdotes in their documentary available at the link.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2024 5:42 pm

Love Silkworm. What’s tragic is the last songs that they recorded before their drummer was killed (by a woman trying to kill herself in a car accident) is their best material and I believe would have made for the true classic album many others agreed they had in them (the songs were released on the Chokes! EP)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#9 Post by Drucker » Wed May 08, 2024 5:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:42 pm
Love Silkworm. What’s tragic is the last songs that they recorded before their drummer was killed (by a woman trying to kill herself in a car accident) is their best material and I believe would have made for the true classic album many believed they had in them (the songs were released on the Chokes! EP)
Indeed. Albini seriously tears up while reminiscing about him in the documentary.

beamish14

#10 Post by beamish14 » Wed May 08, 2024 5:58 pm

I highly recommend Albini’s work with cellist Helen Money

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Steve Albini (1962-2024)

#11 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2024 6:09 pm

Another great overlooked Albini album is Shannon Wright’s Over the Sun - Wright is much more well-known in France than she is here, but it’s the only album of hers that really sounded like one of her live shows (and mimics their loud/soft composition)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 pm

The Guardian had the worst timing today

pianocrash

#13 Post by pianocrash » Wed May 08, 2024 8:03 pm

[/quote]Albini always championed Kim Deal as a genius all throughout their working together/friendship, and I always admire him for that.

Also, he was the person who suggested a very young Britt Walford (Slint) for Pod's drum duties, which I feel Albini had a knack for casting the perfect players when asked, especially for Fred Schneider's Just Fred (Rick Sims, Judah Bauer, and most of Six Finger Satellite & Shadowy Men From A Shadowy Planet). Likewise, he also suggested Silkworm's Andy Cohen for Bush's touring lineup, which must've been something to witness entirely (wish I could've seen one of those dates).

There are few people within the cultural public sphere that I've ever witnessed actual growth and a maturity and acceptance of life as I did in Steve over the past decade, but I also feel quite blessed that he was always in the periphery of just about all the music that helped me to exist in this life. He'll always be around in some way just as he was before today, but I'm still saddened for his partner, Heather, and all his close Chicago, Electrical Audio & elsewhere families.

Also, he was, obviously, quite the gear dork.

pianocrash

#14 Post by pianocrash » Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 pm
The Guardian had the worst timing today

Not as great as the red box in Todd Solondz's Storytelling....unless this is the International Cut #-o

But somewhere in between those two might be the Chicago flag :-$

Blutarsky

#15 Post by Blutarsky » Wed May 08, 2024 9:31 pm

I have to admit that this has been one of the few celebrity deaths which has made me stop everything I was doing. Just this past Sunday I was doing chores around my house listening to Songs About F*****g and forgetting how much that album meant to me in college.

I always appreciated how much he championed Kim Deal and her work with The Breeders, going as far to engineer most of their recordings except for Last Splash. Of all his albums he produced, Rid of Me, Pod, and In Utero will always be on a short list of my favorite albums ever made, thanks in part for how he was able to showcase each musician at their full potential. A real loss today to the world of music.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#16 Post by Drucker » Wed May 08, 2024 9:55 pm

pianocrash wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 8:03 pm

Also, he was, obviously, quite the gear dork.
Man, imagine if he had contributed to our UHD encoding threads!

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Wed May 08, 2024 10:56 pm

I remember reading interviews with PJ Harvey when Rid of Me came out saying that Albini had been able to capture what it sounded like in their rehearsal room and that she was pleased with it. Then I heard from someone close to her that she actually hated it. I don’t know which is true, but if it’s the latter, she’s crazy. It sounded like nothing else at the time. The ferocity with which the instruments come in in the first chorus of the title track is just amazing. It remains the best of her albums and one the best albums of that golden age of indie rock.