Bresson, Sexuality and Religion

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
HerrSchreck

#126 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun May 28, 2006 1:55 am

Langlois68 wrote:That Bresson made films primarily concerned with questions of Christian ideology cannot be disputed. Despite the claims to the otherwise, you simply cannot read Balthazar outside of a Christian context...
David, you seem to be implying that someone with no Christian faith approaches Bresson differently from a "believer,"
As much of the "best" of religion itself (yes even Christianity, though I'm agnostic at best) is not about religion itself (any more than the operating instructions for an electric drill are about the operating instructions themselves rather than the drill) but are rather about the pain and mystery of Being Alive, so is Bresson to me not an exposition of religion, or religious principle, or even religious iconography (as some Tarkovsky, for example-- see RUBLEV-- contain specific religious pictorial tableaux meant to trigger certain meditations), but rather reflections on the bleakness of the world for a heart maintaining a fidelity to a lifestyle, or an idea, that is quote-unquote salutary or substantial. Or even in simple opposition to the masses (as in the universality of the core idea DIARY-- re my post answering Dave in the Cannes thread).

Since most people's "beliefs" are mostly an afterlife insurance-policy type mechanical fulfillment of basic responsibility, or simple habit carried on out of family tradition, I think most even "Catholic" folks who view Bresson and get something out of him simply appreciate them (those more allegedly "Catholic" of his films) as works of ambiguous beauty which present a meditation on the aches & pains & injustices of being a harmless person: the characters of the GENTLE WOMAN, BALTHAZAR, THE COUNTRY PRIEST, MOUCHETTE. They're films about how the shits of the world fuck the life of decent folk who don't have a predatory bone in their body, and how those decent folks are urged towards insanity and death because of the relentless onslaught of the shits of the planet who cannot stick to their own lousy circumferences.
Langlois68 wrote: I also want to address the supposed dichotomy between homosexuality and Christianity as it pertains to Bresson. The notion that the two are mutually exclusive is a recently constructed pipe dream. Cummings, a staunch defender of Bresson-as-Christian, fully welcomes gay interpretations of his work. Hell, anybody with a Catholic clue knows how many Catholic priests are gay. This is not a matter of denial or self-hatred. Homosexuality and Catholicism are entertwined. The set-up is perfect: priests can't marry.
Disagree tremendously. Pie-in-the-sky demands for celibacy in a secluded, all-male environment is what is intertwined with male homosexuality. This manifests in the miltary, war trenches, prison, all forms of monkism eastern & western. Catholicism itself, as a doctrine, is about as divorced from homosexuality as is humanly possible-- arch-enemies, of course.
Langlois68 wrote: Balthazar is Jesus. Jesus posessed superhuman power, but chose to suffer evil as an animal would. Balthazar is that animal. It has nothing to do with "affirmation" or the "meaninglesness of suffering." Balthazar's suffering is very real - not meaningless - and his indefensibility leaves those who abused him with a very clear reackoning: there is no complexity in abusing a dumb animal.
See but calling Balthzar Jesus (rather than a saintly icon of human suffering of harmless souls who mind their own business versus the assholes of the world) nails all kinds of problems to the film. You need to maintain a special blind spot to see the idea through & make it work. How is Balthazar "the Christ"? How is his ministry and mission of redemption and salvation executed? A Christ is an active figure. A motionless donkey is a passive figure. The mere absorption of abuse, with some teasing hints of baptism by children playing, doesn't demand a reading of Balthazar as the Christ. Balthazar dies a hopeless death which is extremely painful to watch in it's loneliness, in the lack of reward and relief in a life spent in suffering. I don't see a salvation of the world or a cleansing of the sins of the world via Balthazars transit through life from birth to death. I don't see any wiping clean of the guilt of mankind. I see a film made by a director who had serious problems with humankind, and went through a phase where he wanted to show what unredeemable pieces of shit most people were.. an impulse which reached it's apex with the dismal & morose MOUCHETTE.

David Ehrenstein

#127 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sun May 28, 2006 4:31 pm

Christianty is blathered about ceaselessly in the U.S. -- to the point where its become what Barthes would call "an empty signifier."

Today it'sjust meaninglessright-wing twaddle and a church that has banrupted itself -- both financially and morally -- in pedophile scandals it has been forced by the courts to respond to. It can claim no moral authority whatsoever.

Bresson's Christianity proceeds from a rich and complex tradition of intellectual Catholicism whose most signal artistic figures include Montherlant, Gide, and Klossowski.

Both Klossowski's

It's not for nothing that Pierre Klossowski was cast as the nasty farmer who forces Anne Wiazemsky to sit in his lap in Au Hasard Balthazar.
Balthazar is the name of the donkey protagonist. It's also the first name of Pierre's brother, the painter known as Balthus. The visual style and erotic concerns of Balthus can be found in that film as well as Une Femme Douce and Le Diable Probablement.

Regarding sexual orientation, Montherlant and Gide were gay. Pierre Klossowski was in his youth Gide's petit ami for a time. In adulthood powerful dominating women overtook his fantasy AND real life (ie. his wife, celebrated an fetishized in Robert de Soir and other writings.)

In short, there's nothing Au Hasard about Balthazar.
Barmy wrote:Is [Dreamgirls Bill Condon's] attempt to move out of the gay director ghetto?
Was George Cukor in a ghetto? How about Charles Walters? (Today's his brithday, BTW.) How about Robert Bresson? Yasujiro Ozu? Patrice Chereau? James Whale?

Kinsey was great, BTW.

Dreamgirls is closest to Strange Behavior.

tavernier

#128 Post by tavernier » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:29 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:
Barmy wrote:Is this his attempt to move out of the gay director ghetto?
Was George Cukor in a ghetto? How about Charles Walters? (Today's his brithday, BTW.) How about Robert Bresson? Yasujiro Ozu?
Uh-oh....outing Bresson and Ozu after they're dead and can't defend themselves? Shame, shame.

David Ehrenstein

#129 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:12 pm

"Defend themselves?" From what?

Ozu's gayness is well-known in Japan, BTW.

Jeff

#130 Post by Jeff » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:14 pm

jon wrote:kidding about best picture potential, but nah, i dont see how this will be able to compete with departed
While I plan to see Dreamgirls, it's not the type of picture that usually ends up in my top ten or anything. That said, most oscar prognasticators have called it the favorite for Best Picture for most of this year, and the recent screenings didn't do anything to change their minds.
tavernier wrote:Uh-oh....outing Bresson and Ozu after they're dead and can't defend themselves? Shame, shame.
Ehrenstein wrote the book on outing the dead.

Literally.
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavernier

#131 Post by tavernier » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:17 pm

Jeff wrote:
tavernier wrote:Uh-oh....outing Bresson and Ozu after they're dead and can't defend themselves? Shame, shame.
Ehrenstein wrote the book on outing the dead.

Literally.
You'd have thought Bresson and Ozu, having avoided Hollywood, would have escaped his clutches.

David Ehrenstein

#132 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Ozu didn't have to "avoid Hollywood," seeing as he ruled Japan.

As for Bresson, he was very interested in Hollywood. In doing my research for my book I was examining the wealth of mateiral George Cukor left to the Academy Library -- scripts, notes, letters, et.al. Among the letters I found a listing for "Correspondance with Robret Bresson." Cukor saw Diary of a Country Priest in France when it opened and passed on through a freind who knew Bresson that he loved the film. Bresson wrote back and Cukor helped get it a U.S. release. Then in 1963 Bresson wrote Cukor again. He was about the make Lancelot du Lac and wanted to cast --

(wait for it)

Burt Lancaster and Natalie Wood!

That this famous opponent of professional acting wanted the two biggest stars in Hollywood is mazing, but true. Sadly it didn't happen -- leaving Bresson to make the film his usual way many years later.

Barmy

#133 Post by Barmy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:50 pm

You can't compare Ozu and Bresson to Condon. Prior to DG, Condon has done two films, both gay, one of which was quite good. In their entire careers, Ozu and Bresson didn't do any gay films, other than, arguably, "Ohayo" and "Bois de Boulogne" (OK, "Lancelot" too), respectively. It's mildly tiresome when gay directors settle into making gay films. That's all.
Last edited by Barmy on Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

#134 Post by Michael » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:59 pm

It's mildly tiresome when gay directors settle into making gay films.
Huh? I'm not getting this. It's like if I'm saying that it's mildly tiresome when straight directors settle into making straight films. Why even bother mentioning it? What's your point?

jorencain

#135 Post by jorencain » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:25 pm

And I'm tired of seeing so many black guys in Spike Lee films! Yawn. It's like, come on, I've already seen a bunch of black people before. Move on to white stories, Spike!

That's just a ridiculous statement, Barmy.

David Ehrenstein

#136 Post by David Ehrenstein » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:25 pm

Ozu and Bresson didn't do any gay films, other than "Ohayo" and "Bois de Boulogne" (OK, "Lancelot" too), respectively.
You're blithely overlooking Un condamne a mort s'est echappe -- his gayest film. Then there's the climactic mototcycle ride in Diary of a Country Priest and the babe-a-licious casting in Au Hasard Balthazar, Four Nights of a Dreamer and Le Diable Probablement.

There's a clip of Bresson on YouTube (hope it's still up) Quite the coquette.

The old men who congregate for supper together in I think Late Spring (though I may be thinking of another Ozu of the same period) discuss a colleague who was tossed out of school for writing love letters to another youth. This actaully happened to Ozu himself.

Ozu died not long after completing his last film The Taste of Autumn Mackrel (known in the West as An Autumn Afternoon) Ozu was exceptionally superfond of one of the male leads of that film -- the actor who played the golf-crazy son. When he died shortly afterwards there was a considerable scnadal as his widow broke down at the funeral screaming "Ozu has taken him with him!!"

Barmy

#137 Post by Barmy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:48 pm

You're right, we can add "Escaped" and, possibly, "Priest" to Bresson's gay oeuvre (no comment about his ass film). That's still less than 50%.

Steven H

#138 Post by Steven H » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:49 am

David Ehrenstein wrote:The old men who congregate for supper together in I think Late Spring (though I may be thinking of another Ozu of the same period) discuss a colleague who was tossed out of school for writing love letters to another youth. This actaully happened to Ozu himself.
Are you talking about Early Summer? I'm having a hard time remembering the moment you're bringing up. A good excuse for myself to go back and rewatch all the post Late Spring films.

And about getting kicked out of school, I swear I've read or heard about this elsewhere. Is this out of his (the Ozu that everybody on this board would be on about, that is) memoirs? I hope those get translated at some point, as I can't think of anything regarding Ozu I would rather read. From what I understand there's a great deal of insight to be had from them.

I've always been slightly partial to the "Noriko is gay" reading of Late Spring, and knowing what I do about Ozu, I don't think him being a closet homosexual is too out there. He was definitely a "bachelor".

As for Bresson, this entire thread was a long hashing out in regards to his sexuality. I hope we don't retread too much.

jguitar

#139 Post by jguitar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:47 am

This entire discussion has recalled for me a question I've always meant to ask Jonathon Rosenbaum but never got around to. In his review of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg for the Chicago Reader, he makes a comparison between Ozu and Demy. One of the ways in which they were similar, he says, is that Ozu and Demy were both closeted gay men who made closely observed films about everyday middle-class domesticity (sorry that this may be badly paraphrased: I'm working from memory here). He further goes on to say that Demy died of an AIDS-related illness. Officially, Demy died of leukemia.

Basically my question here is, how does he know this? This wouldn't be exactly shocking news about Demy, but after looking at the two extant books on him (both in French) and reading a fair amount of journalistic writing on him, I can't really find anything concrete aside from Rosenbaum's remark. Does anyone else have a take on this?

David Ehrenstein

#140 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:59 am

How about first-hand reports? I knew Demy slightly and his lover David Bombyck (producer of Witness and several other Hollywood films of note) even better. They took up together during the shooting of Lady Oscar. Both died of AIDS.

Jacques was bisexual and VERY late coming out to himself about his feelings for men. His coming out was a shock to Michel Legrand who was professionally estranged from Demy for a time. It's why Une Chambre en Ville was scored by Michel Colombier.

Jacques son Mattieu starred in Ducastel and Matineau's AIDS musical Jeanne and the Perfect Guy as a tribute to his father.

Jacques favorite director was Bresson. There are hommages to Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne in Lola -- in which Elena Labourdette plays an older version of herself in Bresson's film.
Last edited by David Ehrenstein on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#141 Post by Guest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:21 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:Jacques favorite director was Bresson.
Was he indeed? Watching LOLA one feels that Ophuls is Demy's favorite director.

It's really quite entertaining to hear people uncomfortably accepting the "gay subtext" in some of Bresson's work. The gayness in UN CONDAMNÉ Ã€ MORT S'EST ÉCHAPPÉ is in no way hidden or subtext, it's in your face. That reminds me of people who claim the social critique in DAWN OF THE DEAD is subtle.

David Ehrenstein

#142 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:28 pm

Pickpocket is "in your face" too. The tour de force pickpocketing sequence is practically an orgy.

In the interview with Bresson on YouTube (I hope it's still there) he's asked re Pickpocket if he ever met a thief. Bresson responds as if he's being asked whther or not he's gay.

Michael

#143 Post by Michael » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:41 pm

And no straight director would photograph Claude Laydu the way Bresson did. So sublimely beautiful and hot. And what about Gerard in Balthazar? He looked pretty hung.

David Ehrenstein

#144 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:50 pm

Gerard is "rough trade" deluxe!

And then there's Antoinne Monnier (Matisse's grandson) in Le Diable Probablement -- Dennis Cooper's fave Bresson. Dennis has become pals with Guillaume Des Forets of Four Nights of a Dreamer -- whose father is Louis-Rene Des Forets.

Anonymous

#145 Post by Anonymous » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Speaking of Bressonian orgies LANCELOT DU LAC comes to mind.

David Ehrenstein

#146 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:51 pm

Indeed. And its an orgy in which bodies disappear entirely and are replaced by piles of armor.

#147 Post by Guest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:11 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:Indeed. And its an orgy in which bodies disappear entirely and are replaced by piles of armor.
Quite right. The sound design in LANCELOT is marvellous, the way Bresson accentuates the armor.

jguitar

#148 Post by jguitar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:12 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:How about first-hand reports? I knew Demy slightly and his lover David Bombyck (producer of Witness and several other Hollywood films of note) even better. They took up together during the shooting of Lady Oscar. Both died of AIDS.
Yes, that will do nicely. Thanks, David. I had assumed that this was a more or less open secret about Demy, but thought it was curious that I couldn't find any other info. That's interesting news about Legrand. I like Michel Colombier's music just fine, but I think that Demy doesn't match well with him in Une Chambre. It's been a long time since I looked into these things, but I seem to remember a temporary estrangement between Varda and Demy as well, though I'm not sure about chronology here and don't know if it's connected. I've always loved the Bresson parallels in Lola. Weren't Bresson and Demy occasional neighbors on Noirmoutier?

David Ehrenstein

#149 Post by David Ehrenstein » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Don't know about their being neightbors, but I wouldn't be surprised. If you want to know what Jacques was like look at Marc Michel in Lola.
He radiated that same sweet-sad melancholy.

The last time I saw Jacques was when i went to Paris in '83. He was preparing Trois Places Pour le 26th. We had drinks with him at La Cupole. He was anxious to get back to the house because Matthieu was sick with a headcold ad he wanted to take care of him. Jacques was, among other things, a supremely loving father.

I disagree with you about Une Chambre en Ville, however. I think its' one of Jacques' best films (sadly never released stateside) and Colombier did a great job.

Sanda is truly amazing in it. And it was all based on a true story.

#150 Post by Guest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:30 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:I disagree with you about Une Chambre en Ville, however. I think its' one of Jacques' best films (sadly never released stateside) and Colombier did a great job.

Sanda is truly amazing in it. And it was all based on a true story.
I agree with you David. The sole fact that UNE CHAMBRE EN VILLE unites Danielle Darrieux, Dominique Sanda and Michel Piccoli makes it precious enough. Yet my favorite Demy remains LOLA, I'm in love with that movie.