Timothy Carey

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
impossiblefunky

Re: Timothy Carey

#26 Post by impossiblefunky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 am

Episode 37: World's Greatest Sinner

Special Guests: Michael C. Gwynne, Romeo Carey & John Easdale

Joining me in the Projection Booth this week is Marisa Young of The Timothy Carey Experience. We're looking at Carey's pièce de résistance, World's Greatest Sinner, the story of one man's desire to be god.

Be sure to listen for exciting news about a DVD release of this overlooked-classic!

dad1153

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#27 Post by dad1153 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Attended a sold out 35mm screening of Timothy Carey's WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER! last Thursday night at Anthology Film Archives, part of their One-Film Wonders retrospective. A producer (Marc something) spoke for a few minutes about the film, then casually name-dropped that his company (Absolute Films?) and Criterion were working on restoring both the original 77 min. cut of the film as well as a never-before-seen three-hour cut of "Sinner" that Carey had been tinkering with up until his death in '94. No timeline or any more info was given, or whether this Criterion partnership was for home video or theatrical (which would be Rialto, wouldn't it?).

FWIW I hated the movie. Pretentious nonsense with crappy camera work (by good ol' Ray Dennis Steckler) that acts as if it's the most offensive and controversial movie ever, when in its own way it's as vanilla and toothless as the 50's/early 60's pretend controversial studio flicks it was trying to one-up. Most of the audience in attendance either loved it (applause and cheers) or politely clapped at the end, though, so Criterion might be interested on Carey's single flick for its cult status alone.

DeprongMori

#28 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:14 am

I haven't yet seen One Eyed Jacks (rumored to be coming from Criterion at some point), but I'm guessing the Timothy Carey role in that one is not much of a peg to hang inclusion of Carey's The World's Greatest Sinner as a bonus feature.

PfR73

#29 Post by PfR73 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:10 pm

dad1153 wrote:Attended a sold out 35mm screening of Timothy Carey's WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER! last Thursday night at Anthology Film Archives, part of their One-Film Wonders retrospective. A producer (Marc something) spoke for a few minutes about the film, then casually name-dropped that his company (Absolute Films?) and Criterion were working on restoring both the original 77 min. cut of the film as well as a never-before-seen three-hour cut of "Sinner" that Carey had been tinkering with up until his death in '94. No timeline or any more info was given, or whether this Criterion partnership was for home video or theatrical (which would be Rialto, wouldn't it?).

FWIW I hated the movie. Pretentious nonsense with crappy camera work (by good ol' Ray Dennis Steckler) that acts as if it's the most offensive and controversial movie ever, when in its own way it's as vanilla and toothless as the 50's/early 60's pretend controversial studio flicks it was trying to one-up. Most of the audience in attendance either loved it (applause and cheers) or politely clapped at the end, though, so Criterion might be interested on Carey's single flick for its cult status alone.
Don't forget that it also has the cachet of the score being written & recorded by Frank Zappa, one of his very first recordings!

I'm in the camp of loving it. I saw it about a year ago. Even though we differ in our reactions, I still see your description is apt in a way: Carey often seemed to be a combination of dangerous surface & sweet inner core. My first experience with Carey was the film Chesty Anderson, US Navy, which I saw about 10 years ago during an exploitation series at the Alamo Drafthouse. He is totally nuts in that film & often the rest of the cast (which includes Fred Willard as the hunky romantic lead :shock: ) seem visibly afraid of him. But he's also a guy who tried to self produce a TV show (Tweet's Ladies Of Pasadena) about a middle-aged man with a menagerie of talking animals who joins a knitting club for old ladies. The film was exactly the kind of nuttiness that I was hoping it would be based on his acting performances.

dad1153

#30 Post by dad1153 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 pm

PfR73 wrote:Carey often seemed to be a combination of dangerous surface & sweet inner core... he's also a guy who tried to self produce a TV show (Tweet's Ladies Of Pasadena) about a middle-aged man with a menagerie of talking animals who joins a knitting club for old ladies. The film was exactly the kind of nuttiness that I was hoping it would be based on his acting performances.
The producer that introduced the screening of "Sinner" also talked about this show. He says his company is in negotiations to produce an animated version of "TLOP" for Nickelodeon based on scripts and footage from the season's worth of the TV series that was shot, from which the pilot movie that was shown to network executives was culled. He swore he wasn't kidding, so take it for what it's worth.

https://vimeo.com/102273014

And for what it's worth, though I didn't like "Sinner" I'm intrigued enough by Carey to want to seek out more of this work. I've already made plans to rewatch "Paths of Glory" and watch "The Killing" and "Head" on Criterion Blu-rays (both for the first time) soon.

bainbridgezu

#31 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:43 pm

dad1153 wrote:I'm intrigued enough by Carey to want to seek out more of this work. I've already made plans to rewatch "Paths of Glory" and watch "The Killing" and "Head" on Criterion Blu-rays (both for the first time) soon.
You're in for a treat with The Killing. It's one of Kubrick's most perfectly-calibrated pictures, the whole thing ticking down like a doomsday clock. Carey's crackerjack performance is a real standout.

You'll also want to check out Cassavete's Killing of a Chinese Bookie -- also one of its director's best. Both versions are great, but the longer cut features more of Carey's phenomenal performance. There are scenes where he's simply sitting in the background and threatens to walk away with the whole movie from both Ben Gazzara and Seymour Cassel.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Criterion does with Sinner, which I haven't yet seen.

Regarding the possbility of Tweet's as a Nickelodeon animated series, they should really look into bring Klasky-Csupo (Rugrats) back to the network.

mteller

#32 Post by mteller » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:44 am

bainbridgezu wrote:
dad1153 wrote:I'm intrigued enough by Carey to want to seek out more of this work. I've already made plans to rewatch "Paths of Glory" and watch "The Killing" and "Head" on Criterion Blu-rays (both for the first time) soon.
You'll also want to check out Cassavete's Killing of a Chinese Bookie -- also one of its director's best. Both versions are great, but the longer cut features more of Carey's phenomenal performance. There are scenes where he's simply sitting in the background and threatens to walk away with the whole movie from both Ben Gazzara and Seymour Cassel.
He's pretty much the best thing about Minnie and Moskowitz too.

Some other great Carey performances: Finger Man, Chain of Evidence, House of Numbers, Crime Wave

Ashirg

#33 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:38 pm

Add to the list of great Carey performances Revolt in the Big House

Polybius

#34 Post by Polybius » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:45 am

One Eyed Jacks and The Killing are each fabulous and highly recommended.

beamish13

#35 Post by beamish13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Carey was also in a neo-noir student film called TARZANA from director Steve De Jarnatt (Miracle Mile; Strange Brew) that was produced in 1978. Scarecrow Video in Seattle sponsored a screening of it recently, and the American Cinematheque will be showing it soon, too

MrGregoryArkadin

#36 Post by MrGregoryArkadin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Word on the street was Criterion was going to release 'World's Greatest sinner' at some point - any new info?