Best Film Magazines

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
scalesojustice

#26 Post by scalesojustice » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:29 am

have any subscribers of Film Comment received their July/August issue?

I've eagerly been awaiting my first issue since i saw the website was updated in early july. i figured that the book would be on its way. it's been the required 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.

given that i work in magazines, i know how deadlines are missed (we still have a july/august issue that isn't closed yet, not my magazine though). But if they have been received by others, i'm following up now, as oppose to waiting for the end of the month. I never quite trust online purchasing, who the hell knows who i gave my credit card number to when i subscribed.

acquarello

#27 Post by acquarello » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:44 am

The current issue of Film Comment was shipped out about 3-4 weeks ago now (I got mine on the last week of July, I think). Maybe they're starting your subscription with the next issue?

redbill

#28 Post by redbill » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:53 am

I've been waiting for mine too. I've been a member for like 3 years, but my sub ran-out, and didn't get it renewed until the first week of July, but I still haven't gotten in yet. And I confirmed with them that I renewed in time to get the July issue... kind of annoying

scalesojustice

#29 Post by scalesojustice » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:33 pm

well, i emailed them and they said my first issue was set for July/August and they said that i should have received it. Now they are sending out a replacement copy.

you might want to shoot them an email if we ended up on the same "lost shipment"

Oedipax

#30 Post by Oedipax » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Out of curiosity, did you all receive some kind of notification that your subscription was about to run out? I got the 2 year subscription about a couple years ago and figure I probably have maybe one issue left. Do I need to just manually re-subscribe or will they let me know?

rs98762001

#31 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Has no one mentioned VERTIGO magazine yet?

scalesojustice

#32 Post by scalesojustice » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 pm

Oedipax wrote:Out of curiosity, did you all receive some kind of notification that your subscription was about to run out? I got the 2 year subscription about a couple years ago and figure I probably have maybe one issue left. Do I need to just manually re-subscribe or will they let me know?
I have a new subscription, but i know on the subscription page you can check your account status and renew your sub. if need be.

given that i didn't even receive the magazine with a new sub. you might want to check it out.

acquarello

#33 Post by acquarello » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:00 am

I don't know if this helps, but I have a film society membership which comes with the magazine (so I can get member rates on tickets), and I don't get renewal notices. I've never let it lapse though, so I don't know if they send you reminders after the fact when you don't renew. Mine actually expires four weeks from now, but I haven't gotten anything asking me to renew.

redbill

#34 Post by redbill » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:33 am

i got renewal notices, i'm just lazy and ignored them until it ran out.

Antoine Doinel

#35 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Get a free six month subscription to MovieMaker via JoBlo here.

BrianInAtlanta

#36 Post by BrianInAtlanta » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:16 pm

I still miss Time Out. In the meantime, how about Bright Lights that is now all online.

OliverB

#37 Post by OliverB » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:26 am

I subscribe to Cinema Retro and it's one of my fav publications. Great reviews of 50s/60s/70s cinema with lots of interesting interviews, release news, terrific photos and rare promo and publicity stuff.

scalesojustice

#38 Post by scalesojustice » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:51 am

I've really enjoyed Film Comment as of late, the issues have been killer.

I'm looking to pick up a subscription to other magazines to pad out my reading. Does anyone get sight and sound? is it worth the $100 subscription?

or how about E-Cahiers du Cinema? much more reasonably priced, but how's the quality?

s.j. bagley

#39 Post by s.j. bagley » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:25 pm

for me, it's:
'film comment'
'cineaste'
'sight & sound'
'rue morgue'
'video watchdog'
'filmint'

foggy eyes

#40 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 pm

I'd also recommend Cinema Scope and Vertigo (an excellent quarterly UK publication).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Get a free six month subscription to MovieMaker via JoBlo here.
Just got my first issue in the mail, I didn't even remember signing up for this

Antoine Doinel

#42 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:20 am

domino harvey wrote:
Antoine Doinel wrote:Get a free six month subscription to MovieMaker via JoBlo here.
Just got my first issue in the mail, I didn't even remember signing up for this
Me too. It was a very pleasant surprise and actually a pretty decent read. Nice to find interviews with Arthur Penn and Thomas McCarthy.

Cinetwist

Re: Best Film Magazines

#43 Post by Cinetwist » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Not directly about film magazines but tangentally related.

Can any Sight and Sound subscribers recommend some good binders? Are the ones you can order directly from them decent?

I've got about 5 years worth of issues and have just bought a load of back issues, so it's getting a bit unruly and I keep misplacing them.

SheriffAmbrose

#44 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Cinetwist wrote:Not directly about film magazines but tangentally related.

Can any Sight and Sound subscribers recommend some good binders? Are the ones you can order directly from them decent?

I've got about 5 years worth of issues and have just bought a load of back issues, so it's getting a bit unruly and I keep misplacing them.
So that was you outbidding me on those auctions a few weeks ago (several lots of issues going back to the fifties? I really didn't appreciate that as that fifties lot had a few issues that I don't have yet)--or maybe not. I always assumed that the binders that they offer would be the best ones but I haven't taken the plunge. As far as binding the old ones goes, I doubt that you'll be able to find official binders for those--unless bfi still sell them. I've never seen binders for sale in the several years that I have been watching ebay for them. I keep mine in mylar sleeves with acid-free back boards--library of congress style but this takes up a lot of space. The mag resized several times with the issues from the seventies being a bit taller and thinner than the sixties ones and so forth. I have a few sets of issues that I bought all ready in binders--they're from the early sixties and the binders have held up surprisingly well especially considering that, from the smell of them, the mags were clearly kept in a moldy basement. Another treat is when you can occasionally find the magazines bound for libraries. This is rare (usually when a library thins out its collection) but having an year and a half bound in book form is the most durable way of keeping them.

Let me know what you decide to do if anything. I've accumulated hundreds and they are really starting to get out of control--huge piles everywhere I look! The back issues are so wildly superior to the modern ones in my opinion that I cancelled my subscription to the current issues.

gyorgys

#45 Post by gyorgys » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Rouge is really outstanding!

Cinetwist

#46 Post by Cinetwist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:32 am

Well Sheriff, I was bidding on a couple of those 1950s issues, but I didn't win either! By the way, there's some older official binders on ebay at the moment (don't look too great though) and a couple of issues from the 1930s if you're interested (too expensive for me).

I think I'll order just one binder to see how good they are first. I'd love to get them properly bound like libraries have, maybe one day. As for the older, differently shaped issues, I'm not sure what to do. They really do need properly binding before some of them fall apart.

JonathanM

#47 Post by JonathanM » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:56 am

I adore Cineaste. I always get frustrated by how much of Sight & Sound is devoted to news stuff. Half the time I'll read it, notice something interesting and then completely forget it and, as a result, miss it if it passes through the local cinemas or sit down to watch a film and be struck by how familiar it is without knowing why. Cineaste's focus on actual criticism rather than news makes it a much more interesting read. Plus I think the writing is just better.

Last time I was at the BFI I picked up Electric Sheep and was pleasantly surprised. Usually those types of small print-run UK-based cultural magazines tend to be a bit pretentious or too Nathan Barley for my tastes but Electric Sheep had some nice writing, some good ideas and it had quite a fun attitude.

SheriffAmbrose

#48 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:26 am

cinetwist,

So you got burned on that auction too. Yeah, those binders are the type that I have some issues in. Thanks for the heads up on the 30s issues. I've never seen any that old in the two or three years I've been watching them. I might take the plunge.

Antoine Doinel

#49 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:46 am

Steven Spielberg is the guest editor-in-chief of Empire for April. You can read his opening letter here.

filmyfan

#50 Post by filmyfan » Sun May 10, 2009 7:58 am

A couple of queries on this...

Firstly changing the subject slightly does anyone have any idea where I could buy old issues of MOVIE magazine..they seem to be nonexistent on the eBay type sites. I guess they are quite rare ?

Also does anyone get Film Quarterly magazine - thinking about getting a subscription for this but just wanted some recommendations as its quite pricey to order from the UK (would like to buy a copy first to try it out so to speak-but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it in London !)

cheers