Dream Scenario (Kristoffer Borgli, 2023)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
therewillbeblus

Dream Scenario (Kristoffer Borgli, 2023)

#1 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 02, 2023 1:44 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:37 am
swo17 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:52 pm
The VSP announcement Sick of Myself appears to have a few fans on the board. For example
It's definitely an acquired taste, but I think it's the exact kind of full-throated social satire that you would appreciate - and I think that probably gives others an idea of if it might appeal to them.

Last week I went down a bit of a rabbit hole wondering why in the world Julianne Nicholson isn't being cast in absolutely everything these days, and was doubly pleased to see that she's going to be in another movie, helmed by Sick of Myself's Kristoffer Borgli. He must have attracted some important eyes to secure the cast for his upcoming American debut, which sounds awesome
I mentioned it in the VS thread, but A24 will release Dream Scenario, a comedy starring Nicholas Cage as 'a schlubby professor who becomes an overnight celebrity after appearing in everyone's dream', helmed by Sick of Myself's Kristoffer Borgli, produced by Ari Aster, and also starring Michael Cera, Julianne Nicholson, Tim Meadows, and Dylan Baker

therewillbeblus

Re: The Films of 2023

#2 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:21 am

Dream Scenario is what you'd get if combining Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Beau is Afraid, with a weird slapdash editing style that can lend itself to calculated gags or loose curios, and a central comic perf from Cage that is probably his funniest yet. He basically plays a combination of his two Charlie Kaufmans, but with a unique awkward nuance that makes him evade an easy diagnosis of characterization - the excellent script would've survived fine without him, but he's integral to elevating this to art. The film also goes a bit further with these other films' ideas (from the megalomaniac aspects to a bit as simple as Kaufman's fantasy with Tilda Swinton at lunch), but never getting swallowed up in anything cerebral - crafting a nightmare scenario where both the introvert's greatest dream (of being glorified in others' fantasies, only to fail to live up to the actual fantasy given who you really are) and worst nightmare (of being globally hated) come true: the egomaniac with an inferiority complex incarnate. That plus covering a broad range of topics from generational dissonance on sensitivity to cancel culture. This would actually be terrific TÁR counter programming

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:17 pm

I am curious about Dream Scenario (though I still cannot quite believe that it was originally going to star Adam Sandler! That would have been an entirely different proposition!), especially because it comes from the director of that Inspector Norse music video, and associated short film.

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:39 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:17 pm
I am curious about Dream Scenario (though I still cannot quite believe that it was originally going to star Adam Sandler! That would have been an entirely different proposition!), especially because it comes from the director of that Inspector Norse music video, and associated short film.
It's definitely in step with Borgli's last film, Sick of Myself, in terms of simultaneously drawing a broad cultural satire and a pointed, personal examination of our narcissistic impulses - only I think it's more inviting and digestible, and just better.

I had no idea Sandler was attached... I think highly of him as an actor in the right hands, but his general demeanor doesn't lend itself to what is so funny about the character simply existing. Cage embodies that ordinary inertness in a way I don't Sandler can subtly, or at least without a fair amount of verbal establishment of his awkwardness - i.e. Punch-Drunk Love. Basically, I don't believe the very first scene would play well with Sandler in the part, but you may have to see that to know where I'm coming from.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Dream Scenario (Kristoffer Borgli, 2023)

#5 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:29 pm

Worth noting this brief discussion of Borgli's earlier films

FrauBlucher

#6 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:40 pm

I saw the trailer this afternoon before seeing Anatomy of a Fall, which I thought was so-so but that's for another thread. Dream Scenario looks wildly entertaining. I'm looking forward to it. This looks like a winner for Cage

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:30 pm

This got a Blu-ray release a couple weeks ago

nicolas

#8 Post by nicolas » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:43 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:30 pm
This got a Blu-ray release a couple weeks ago
Leonine in Germany release a 4K edition at the end of June, likely in Mediabook packaging and overpriced at around 35 euros. https://www.amazon.de/Dream-Scenario-Bd ... B0CWW22XDT. This is the BD link but the 4K option can be found in the menu as soon as pre-orders are live.

Keep in mind that any on-screen titles in the film (if there are any) are likely translated into German, Dolby Atmos audio will even likelier not be included (5.1 instead and 7.1 if we’re lucky) and compression may be problematic. All of this from my experiences (and later reviews) of past releases.

After a few years of refusing to support them, I’ll give them a new shot with their The Iron Claw UHD in April and see how that one looks.

ipebranco

#9 Post by ipebranco » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:03 pm

Both Sick of Myself and Dream Scenario let me a bit dissatisfied for the same reason. They both present intriguing premises but fail to fully develop them. Sick of Myself came across as somewhat repetitive; perhaps it would have been better suited as a long short film. As for Dream Scenario, I sensed that Borgli didn't know exactly what to do with the final act. The joke becomes too big for the punchline — a resolution problem.