Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

#51 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:43 pm

My guess is that once Ridley is done with the Kingdom of Heaven SE, he'll get to work on the new BR disc. Assuming if he can fit in his schedule, I think he has two films on the backburner for Fox now.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#52 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:29 am

But Scott's schedule isn't what's holding it up -- by all accounts it's Mr. Perenchio who's keeping it in limbo. I'm willing to bet Scott already knows pretty much exactly what he's going to do with the new cut (he may well already have it edited for all we know) and is just waiting on the rights situation to get cleared up.

flyonthewall2983

#53 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:26 pm

I seem to remember thedigitalbits.com bringing the subject up again early last year, saying it was being close to a done deal.

On another topic altogether, can anyone recommend any of Phil Dick's writing?

Fletch F. Fletch

#54 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:16 pm

Well, there's obvious choices... Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, A Scanner Darkly, and so on but I was always kinda partial to Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said which is vintage alt. realties/paranoid SF.

Of course, a good start would be The Philip K. Dick Reader which collects his more popular work: "Second Variety" (made into Screamers), "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" (made into Total Recall) and "The Minority Report."

flyonthewall2983

#55 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:20 pm

lord_clyde wrote:Matchstick Men was a fantastic film with an ending that rings very true. I remember a lot of critics attacked the ending (and the film in general)
I agree there, I thought it was a very sweet film on top of being clever and funny. It's a pleasant surprise when a director known for anything but comedy can produce something like that. Someone else that pops to mind when it comes to that is Eastwood, with Bronco Billy and Heartbreak Ridge being good examples.

solaris72

#56 Post by solaris72 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:02 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:On another topic altogether, can anyone recommend any of Phil Dick's writing?
I say start with the novels. They're a lot better than most of his short stories (the only PKD short story which manages to match the quality of his novels in my opinion is Faith of Our Fathers from the anthology Dangerous Visions). Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, A Scanner Darkly, The Man in the High Castle or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep are all fine places to start. After a couple of those, VALIS is a must-read.

Fletch F. Fletch

#57 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:22 pm

Yeah, I've been meaning to get around to reading VALIS. How is it?

solaris72

#58 Post by solaris72 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:44 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Yeah, I've been meaning to get around to reading VALIS. How is it?
It's fantastic. A must read, as it gave me a new perspective on his other works (particularly the ending of The Man in the High Castle). It's his most overtly autobiographical work; without giving away any actual plot spoilers (this stuff is all revealed in the first chapter), it's narrated by a schizophrenic, whose two personalities are named Horselover Fat and Philip K. Dick, and even the writing style is schizophrenic, switching between first and third person. I highly recommend it.

Polybius

#59 Post by Polybius » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:22 pm

Time Out of Joint 8-)

And I agree about Faith of Our Fathers. That story made me a fan.

che-etienne

#60 Post by che-etienne » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:23 am

dvdane wrote:You will not say that after having seen "Kingdom of Heaven"
Much like the near-indefinite delayed version of "Blade Runner", the version of "Kingdom of Heaven" released to theatres was not the intended version. Apparently the full-cut is some 4 hours long, and will be released on a director's cut dvd soon. So Iwouldn't snap to judgments until we've seen Scott's intended version.

hearthesilence

#61 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:48 am

I dunno, what's there isn't that great so unless he foolishly cut out some AMAZING scenes, I doubt Kingdom of Heaven will stand up as his best work. There's only so much editing can do.

On the other hand, I wasn't a fan of Gladiator and that won an Oscar for Best Picture, so someone's bound to like it.

che-etienne

#62 Post by che-etienne » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:28 am

I agree, but they cut basically two hours of film out of "Kingdom of Heaven"... that's almost as bad as the job the Police Academy editor did on "Once Upon A Time in America".

HerrSchreck

#63 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:19 am

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Well, there's obvious choices... Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, A Scanner Darkly, and so on but I was always kinda partial to Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said which is vintage alt. realties/paranoid SF.

Of course, a good start would be The Philip K. Dick Reader which collects his more popular work: "Second Variety" (made into Screamers), "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" (made into Total Recall) and "The Minority Report."
UBIK, THREE STIGMATA OF P E.. THE MAN IIN THE HIGH CASTLE, EYE IIN THE SKY, CLANS OF THE ALPHANE MOON, RADIO FREE ALBEMUTH, WE CAN BUILD YOU, MARTIAN TIME SLIP, DOCTOR BLOODMONEY, CONFESSIONS OF A CRAP ARTIST, (in addition to FLOW, ANDROIDS, and SCANNER, mentioned above, all beautiful). I was never crazy about the VALIS trilogy-- but that's just me. Buy them all & keep Phils work in print. I can't believe how much of his work is in print nowadays, and staying there... and the way the adaptation of a Dick s/story or novel is turning into a directorial rite of passage or new hollywood tradition. Whatever it is I think it's great, regardless of the quality of the films themselves.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#64 Post by Faux Hulot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:08 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Buy them all & keep Phils work in print. I can't believe how much of his work is in print nowadays, and staying there...

Tell me about it, I remember when his books were as easy to find (not to mentioned respected in "polite society") as Kilgore Trout's.

BTW I'll second or third (or whatever) the posters who nominate High Castle as the best starter PKD. It's my favorite of the novels and I find it one of the author's most formally consistent as well. Trivia: the I Ching figures heavily in the plot, and Dick himself used the oracle extensively while writing the book to solve plotting questions.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#65 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:51 am

Apparently the full-cut is some 4 hours long...
190 minutes, actually.

flyonthewall2983

#66 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:29 pm

I heard in another forum awhile ago that on the '92 director's cut that apparently the unicorn that Deckard sees in his mind was lifted from Legend. Is there any truth to this? I've never seen Legend and am not particularly interested, but this has made me curious.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solaris72

#67 Post by solaris72 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:22 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Also a question, I heard in another forum awhile ago that on the '92 director's cut that apparently the unicorn that Deckard sees in his mind was lifted from Legend. Is there any truth to this? I've never seen Legend and am not particularly interested, but this has made me curious.
Nah, that's a long standing rumor, but according to Ridley Scott, the footage was shot specifically for Blade Runner

lord_clyde

#68 Post by lord_clyde » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:12 am

dvdane wrote:
but Ridley Scott is awesome
You will not say that after having seen "Kingdom of Heaven"
More than a year later I finally see it, and I must say, you are right. Kingdom of Heaven is a new low for Mr. Scott.

che-etienne

#69 Post by che-etienne » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:15 am

just curious did you see the director's cut or the theatrical version?

portnoy

#70 Post by portnoy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:20 am

Our theater just tried to book Blade Runner, but Warners have pulled all their repertory prints from circulation in anticipation of a theatrical rerelease next year. Which version is being rereleased is as-yet-unknown...

Matt

#71 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:42 pm

portnoy wrote:Which version is being rereleased is as-yet-unknown...
Only if you haven't read this press release.

Hint: it's the new "final cut".

portnoy

#72 Post by portnoy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:59 pm

matt wrote:
portnoy wrote:Which version is being rereleased is as-yet-unknown...
Only if you haven't read this press release.

Hint: it's the new "final cut".
:oops:

flyonthewall2983

#73 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Who thinks Deckard is a Replicant?

David Ehrenstein

#74 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:55 pm

I do.

colinr0380

#75 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:03 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Who thinks Deckard is a Replicant?
You should play the Blade Runner CD-ROM game, which has different endings which decide whether you are a replicant or not depending on how sensitive you are to their plight! (He turned out to be a replicant the time I played it - I think you have to play the game as a heartless bastard to end up as the human!)