Cuban Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
swingo

#1 Post by swingo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:55 am

The Great Tom's Gutierrez Alea will see both of his films -perhaps, his best- released in dvd here in Mexico.

"La Muerte de un Burocrata" (The Death of a Bureaucrat)

and "Memorias del Subdesarrolo" (Memories of the Underdevelopment)

Probably/Hopefully (if anyone is interested) it'll come with english subtitles...

Axel.

Gregory

#2 Post by Gregory » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:00 pm

That's certainly exciting. I've been waiting I don't know how long for a R1 release of those. Any more information about the Mexican releases?
Who's releasing them? Is it a reputable company? When?

swingo

#3 Post by swingo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Gregory wrote:That's certainly exciting. I've been waiting I don't know how long for a R1 release of those. Any more information about the Mexican releases?
Who's releasing them? Is it a reputable company? When?
The company's name is Zafra Video. Most probably this month or in April, the company is very reputable, they had released Wong Kar Wai's Happy Together and in the Mood for love, both of them I have them and may I say they're worthy, the in the mood for love has almost all of extras of the CC... their site hasn't been updated so no info there.

They will be releasing Humberto Solás' LUCIA as well, whenever I can get an info or at least an image I'll let you know for sure...

I'm glad you are aware of Tomás and if I recall correctly, you once pointed out that you liked Felipe Cazals' CANOA which is, one of my favorite movies and one of my favorite directors...

p.s. here's their e-mail for any info: zafravideo@zafravideo.com

Gregory

#4 Post by Gregory » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:42 pm

Thanks for the info. Heard any word on a DVD of De Cierta Manera (One Way or Another, Maria Gomez, 1974)? That's another Cuban classic. Maybe I'll email them about it. I went to their site but couldn't find much information.

P.S. Yeah, I like Canoa and have the R1 DVD from Desert Mountain Media, which I picked up for a mere $8.

swingo

#5 Post by swingo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:59 pm

Haven't heard of that release, may I suggest "El Apando" from Cazals and "El Imperio De La Fortuna" and "Place Without Limits" both by Arturo Ripstein...

At last, I can pass on a link so you can see at least, the artwork, no language specifications yet but come insights on the extras...

Add "Las Doce Sillas" on their release...

Gregory

#6 Post by Gregory » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:13 pm

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions on where someone in the U.S. should order these (when the time comes)?

swingo

#7 Post by swingo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 pm

At this moment the DVDs are in about 19 bucks approx. there are some stores that could manage an international shipping but it can rise the costs way up.

Let me try to find out if they have english subtitles, or if you can manage the spanish language pretty well let me know as well...

Axel.

Gregory

#8 Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:08 am

Improving my Spanish is something I'm going to be working on quite a bit this year. Still, I hope they'll have English subs for others' sake.

swingo

#9 Post by swingo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:11 am

Gregory,

I haven't gathered any info of the subtitles (working on that).

But here's a list of the extras:

Las Doce Sillas comes with two "Filminutos" animated short films, and the documentary "Nostalgia del Cha-Cha-Cha" by Miguel Torres

La Muerte De Un Burócrata comes with another two animated "Filminutos" and a presentation of "Cine Revista" (Movie Magazine) by the producer Manuel Barbachano Ponce

Memorias del Subdesarrollo comes with another two 'Filminutos' and a presentation of the "Cine Revista"

Lucía comes with YET, two 'filminutos'

I'd like to point out that I'm not aware of:

a) what does the 'filminutos' are exactly
b)if there are different on each release

and if the "Cine Revista" is an essay or a transcribed article of the films.

Axel.

Gregory

#10 Post by Gregory » Fri May 06, 2005 3:41 pm

Axel:
Any updates on these (release dates, where to buy, etc.)?

Thanks, amigo!
Last edited by Gregory on Fri May 06, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swingo

#11 Post by swingo » Fri May 06, 2005 4:08 pm

I haven't forgotten to check out, Gregory, but unfortunately no further news I've gathered. and those dvds hasn't reached my hometown yet.

Next week I'll be going to Mexico City, I'll check on there, and get back to you, although I'm pretty sure that it won't come with English subtitles. anyway, I'll wait till I get those DVDs in my hands and reply you.

Edit: Finally, after finishing the film, I had a chance to look for the dvds, and yes, they have English subtitles...

Gregory

#12 Post by Gregory » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks. Any suggestions on where to buy them cheapest? I'm going to be in Mexico in September (in Oaxaca and Mexico City).

swingo

#13 Post by swingo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:18 pm

Gregory wrote:Thanks. Any suggestions on where to buy them cheapest? I'm going to be in Mexico in September (in Oaxaca and Mexico City).
pm' me. I finally got an apartment. I'll be staying here in Mexico City, if I have the chance I'l take you where you can buy them the cheapest.

Awesome Welles

#14 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:42 am

For those in the UK Alea's fantastic Memories of Underdevelopment will play at the Barbican and Key Citiesfrom 11th July (Barbican) and 15th August (Key Cities).