Japanese Exploitation Films of the 70s

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Lino

#76 Post by Lino » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:46 am

I dare you not to laugh at this one! Remember when I mentioned the title Kung Fu Cockfighter in this thread awhile back? Well, just take a look at this!

My jaw is still recovering!

Lino

#77 Post by Lino » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:47 am

Oh, almost forgot to post this! From here:
On December 8, Nikkatsu will finally release their long rumored Stray Cat Rock box set. The box set will contain all 5 films and a bonus disc. The bonus disc will have interviews with Tatsuya Fuji, Yoshio Harada, Yasuharu Hasebe, and Takeo Chii. Hopefully Meiko will be interviewed as well.

The price will be 19950 yen (including tax). The catalog number is DVN-1018. All of the DVDs except the bonus disc will be released individually on the same date. The box set will be limited.

This will be the first time films #4 and #5 have been released on video (Nikkatsu have broadcast them both on NECO though

Lino

#78 Post by Lino » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:12 pm

For UK residents (or anyone with enough dough to spend on a couple of plane tickets): the second edition of Wild Japan - Outlaw Masters of Japanese Film. Line-up here.

luridedith

#79 Post by luridedith » Thu May 22, 2008 9:16 am

Any recent news on any more high quality releases of Norifumi Suzuki's films? I want MORE! They really are the perfect fusion of "high art" and "low art" - so much angry social commentary and attacks on organized religion wrapped up in delirious/colourful pop packaging - all tattooed breasts and neon-red blood. He's in my opinion one of the most underrated filmmakers of all time.

solaris72

#80 Post by solaris72 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:08 pm

luridedith wrote:Any recent news on any more high quality releases of Norifumi Suzuki's films? I want MORE! They really are the perfect fusion of "high art" and "low art" - so much angry social commentary and attacks on organized religion wrapped up in delirious/colourful pop packaging - all tattooed breasts and neon-red blood. He's in my opinion one of the most underrated filmmakers of all time.
Suzuki's BEAUTIFUL GIRL HUNTER aka STAR OF DAVID is coming sooner or later from Discotek soon, with interview and commentary by Suzuki himself.

Lino

#81 Post by Lino » Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 pm

solaris72 wrote:
luridedith wrote:Any recent news on any more high quality releases of Norifumi Suzuki's films? I want MORE! They really are the perfect fusion of "high art" and "low art" - so much angry social commentary and attacks on organized religion wrapped up in delirious/colourful pop packaging - all tattooed breasts and neon-red blood. He's in my opinion one of the most underrated filmmakers of all time.
Suzuki's BEAUTIFUL GIRL HUNTER aka STAR OF DAVID is coming sooner or later from Discotek soon, with interview and commentary by Suzuki himself.
And brace yourself for another wild ride, this time certain to offend everyone! Star of David is another trailblazing product of Suzumi's dirty, anarchic little mind, which makes it obligatory viewing, of course.