La Bête / The Beast (Borowczyk, 1975)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Napier

La Bête / The Beast (Borowczyk, 1975)

#1 Post by Napier » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:54 am

I got a 3-disc special edition of this film, Cult Epics release ala Tinto Brass. I was just wondering if anyone has seen it,or knows about the quality of these DVDs. The write up on the back sounded interesting to say the least!It is also numbered 2,909/10'000.

Martha

#2 Post by Martha » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:04 am

Napier wrote:I got a 3-disc special edition of this film,Cult Epics release ala Tinto Brass.I was just wondering if anyone has seen it,or knows about the quality of these DVDs.The write up on the back sounded interesting to say the least!It is also numbered 2,909/10'000.
You just bought the dvds and are now asking about quality? Excellent. It sounds like you might be a good person to report on that....

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:06 am

It is very good. My copy unfortunately got rather clawed in the post, but it just adds to the ambience (at least that was what the replacement box people kept telling me!)

I haven't looked at it for a while but I think the first disc is the film with removable subtitles, and looks very good. The third disc is a 'director's cut' which is not as good quality and has forced subtitles covering other ones (similar to Testament of Dr Mabuse's French version of the film). I can't remember seeing too many differences, but I didn't watch it that closely.

The second disc has a couple of good interviews and about 2 hours of silent behind the scenes footage which is very interesting, but a bit tiring to watch without any sound or commentary about what we are seeing.

It is still a very good package though - and thats one booklet I will not be able to take to read on my train journey to work!

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:21 am

Napier

#5 Post by Napier » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:38 am

Thanks for the info gang! I will give this one a spin tonight.
Last edited by Napier on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lino

#6 Post by Lino » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:18 pm

You do realize that after that post, you've instantly become persona non grata on this forum, don't you? I mean, you can't begin to imagine the jealousy you've just caused with those simple words...Talk about making fun of hardworking people who religiously save a few bucks for that DVD fix every month...Please go away and leave me be...

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#7 Post by ola t » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:59 pm

Napier, do you realise that the studios have to factor in the cost of handling defective discs into their prices? In other words, we're all paying for those discs that you don't want to keep.

Napier

#8 Post by Napier » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:04 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Napier on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:53 am

OMG! With that Dogville remark, you've gone from persona non grata to anathema! Be gone, satan!

A

#10 Post by A » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:04 pm

So nobody around here has anything useful to say about this beautiful film?

Just saw the film again in a decent print at the cinema, and it's still an interesting experience. Reminds me very much of Bunuel.

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:44 am

My DVD Times review (of the UK Nouveaux edition).

Lino

#12 Post by Lino » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 am

In September, new and restored spanish editions of Immoral Tales and The Beast will be released (news in spanish here). Does anyone know how this will transmit in a US re-release of Immoral Tales (the current Anchor Bay DVD is OOP)?

eltopo

Re: La Bête / The Beast (Borowczyk, 1975)

#13 Post by eltopo » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:41 am

New 2DVD from Germany (Bildstörung)

Limited Edition (500 copy): http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassun ... vid=278277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More pictures: http://forum.cinefacts.de/200899-la-bet ... ost6332884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image Comparison: http://forum.cinefacts.de/200899-la-bet ... ost6334118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A

#14 Post by A » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 am

I already own the 3-Disc set, so I'm not sure if I'll also buy the German DVD. But every time I go to the store and see it sitting on the shelf, I'm very tempted to double-dip. 8-[

perkizitore

#15 Post by perkizitore » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 am

Lots of review links here (in German)
http://www.bildstoerung.tv/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've heard it's the same transfer with Cult Epics but without ghosting, so if it's true that makes it the best version available!
It's sold out though... :oops:
Any suggestions how to obtain it?

A

#16 Post by A » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:01 pm

After reading your post, I just went out and grabbed a copy at my local store in front of my apartement. 8-[

Did you try to order it via some other (German) online stores?
I know the film is sold to adults only here in Germany, so that could be a problem ordering it online...

EDIT: Found you a link:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... dvision-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#17 Post by perkizitore » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:54 pm

A wrote:After reading your post, I just went out and grabbed a copy at my local store in front of my apartement. 8-[

Did you try to order it via some other (German) online stores?
I know the film is sold to adults only here in Germany, so that could be a problem ordering it online...

EDIT: Found you a link:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002D1A9IW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems that the limited edition is sold out! :^o

A

#18 Post by A » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Yep, but as far as I understood, it's only the regular film with the deleted scenes being inserted back. I doubt they have actually remastered the longer version (though if sombody proves me wrong I'll be biting my ass for not having bought one of the limited 500 copies ](*,) ).

perkizitore

#19 Post by perkizitore » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Ahem, doesn't this edition have english subtitles? #-o
It seems i'll have to wait for another PAL edition of the remastered version.

bamwc2

#20 Post by bamwc2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:34 pm

I have to admit that I'm confused by how much love this film gets in this forum. I mean, I love Eurosleaze as much as the next man, but when a film starts off with what seems to be a lifetime's worth of equine intercourse, it's a bit too sleazy for me. What do you guys like so much about it?

A

#21 Post by A » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Phu,...

I think Borowczyk is one of the great filmmakers of the 20th century. Like Chaplin, Kubrick or Hitchcock. So talking about "La bête" - at least for me - is like talking about "The Gold Rush", "Eyes Wide Shut" or "Waltzes from Vienna".
Don't know much about the Eurosleaze...

bamwc2

#22 Post by bamwc2 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:03 am

A wrote:Phu,...

I think Borowczyk is one of the great filmmakers of the 20th century. Like Chaplin, Kubrick or Hitchcock. So talking about "La bête" - at least for me - is like talking about "The Gold Rush", "Eyes Wide Shut" or "Waltzes from Vienna".
Don't know much about the Eurosleaze...
Perhaps I've misunderstood the director's intent. The only other film of his that I've seen was Goto the Island of Love, which had an interesting mid-career Pasolini vibe to it, but ultimately seemed rather mediocre. That said, I know very little about Borowczyk as a filmmaker. It seemed to me that he had intended to make a high class sexspoiltation film with La bête, but failed to make anything that was interesting from either an erotic or artistic perspective. Am I misreading his intentions?

perkizitore

#23 Post by perkizitore » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 am

I hope Mondo Vision will do this film justice, but if any other company releases a blu-ray edition, that is fine by me.
Last edited by perkizitore on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

der_Artur

#24 Post by der_Artur » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 am

A wrote:Yep, but as far as I understood, it's only the regular film with the deleted scenes being inserted back. I doubt they have actually remastered the longer version ...
That's exactly what the German limited-DVD offers. And since the shorter cut is Borowczyks intended cut the German DVD is the best choice for everyone who understands German or French.

A

#25 Post by A » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:35 pm

bamwc2 wrote:Perhaps I've misunderstood the director's intent. The only other film of his that I've seen was Goto the Island of Love, which had an interesting mid-career Pasolini vibe to it, but ultimately seemed rather mediocre. That said, I know very little about Borowczyk as a filmmaker. It seemed to me that he had intended to make a high class sexspoiltation film with La bête, but failed to make anything that was interesting from either an erotic or artistic perspective. Am I misreading his intentions?
Misunderstood is a harsh word. Perhaps it's just not your cup of tea. I think the film is an intelligent satire on certain parts of society, but what I like best are Borowczyks takes on the Beauty and Beast thematic. His view on sex and eroticism is very transgressive, as I interpret the central "rape" in the film for example as a wicked emancipation of the female. Watch out for the ending of the film.
For me it was very succesfull from an erotic as well as artistic perspective. I think the camerawork and lighting is at times outstanding, and the way Borowczyks films are edited has always seemed unique to me.
The other film you mention, "Goto, Island of Love" is actually one of my Top 10 favorite films...
Maybe we have simply different tastes. :wink: