It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm
Actually I saw exactly one movie at the Thalia before it closed for remodeling in the early 2000s and Spockified its name: a 16mm print of Bellocchio's amazing China Is Near (1967), still a surprisingly hard film to come by.


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:03 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
Perkins Cobb wrote:
Do you mean upstairs or downstairs? The theater downstairs at BAM is pretty nice, but I hate it when they move rep screenings upstairs -- the sightlines are terrible and, as you say, the aisles are absurdly narrow.
I don't think I've ever seen anything upstairs there. The theater is really nice but the seats are a pain for someone of my height. Last time I was there for Diamonds of the Night I took to leaning forward, resting my head on my arms placing them on the seat in front of me and at the end of the film this old dude sitting a few rows behind me called me a 'fucking monkey' and by the time I turned around to say 'What did you just say?' he was hurriedly making his way out. :lol:


Perkins Cobb wrote:
I'd nonetheless argue that Bruce is just cycling comfortably through the greatest hits most of the time, while MoMA, FSLC, and Anthology are consistently offering much more varied and challenging programs.
I don't think you're wrong about that at all actually but why is that bad? As far as I'm concerned they're all great and I can't imagine what the city was like before I was born when apparently there were lots more of these theaters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
Perkins Cobb wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:
I've only taken advantage of that a few times because quite frankly, I'm not a big fan of sitting in a theater all day unless it's brutally hot and I need the air conditioning, and even then, I'd have to venture to a place like MoMA via subway, which is ridiculously inhuman in the summer.

Indeed - I generally just take the summer off from going to rep screenings, because even if the theater is nicely air conditioned, I'm so overheated by the time I get there that I can't enjoy the film. If there's something ultra-rare, I'll take a taxi; otherwise, forget it.
How old are you two and how long have you been living in the city for? I find this 'I'm too delicate to hop on the subway in July attitude' hilarious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
'venture to a place like MOMA via subway in August' oh the humanity!

I'm sitting here wondering if you two even have jobs or do you take summers off for overheating? If you take cabs to and from work, bless you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:55 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm
Well, since you asked, yes, get your fainting couch ready, because I have been known to take a cab to work when it's in the 90s and humid. I find the summers here totally unbearable and only venture away from my A/C for the essentials (food and work); everything else can wait until fall. I mean, in theory, movies belong on the essentials list too, but in practice it takes so long to cool off after I get there that I can't enjoy them. Believe me, I've tried.

If you have some secret for getting around town without ending up totally drenched in sweat, please, enlighten us.

As for the downstairs BAM theater, I guess I'm just under the height limit where you have a problem with legroom -- although they do seem to have a cup holder glued to every spot I want to put my knees.

And I see we're slipping on the LOL front here as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:08 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC
Not even 5 years in NY and still in my 20's. Again, NYC is the only city where waiting in a subway station will build up an enormous sweat. 5-10 minutes under muggy 90+ degree temps, especially after a long walk through the heat to the station, is ridiculous. I've lived in D.C. over the summer where it's like a humidor, and it's actually a relief to go in the MTA station. I'm lucky that it's okay for me to wear shorts and even a T-shirt to work if it's really hot - in D.C., I had to wear a suit, and I had to peel out of it at the end of the day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:39 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 pm
rrenault wrote:
FerdinandGriffon wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:
If there is one, I'll always choose a good Blu-ray or even DVD over seeing a print there.

That's just crazy talk. You may have to switch around once or twice but I'm 5' 9" and I almost never have a problem getting a clear eyeline at FF. Sure, it's a postage stamp screen, but so is Anthology's second theater, and if you can't stomach that then you're missing out on some of the best programming in the city. Almost all of the repertory houses in Paris are postage stamps (or handkerchiefs, as the French call them) and that did nothing to stop my time there from being the greatest cinephilic experience of my life, or Accatone being my favorite theater in the world.

I like big screens too, but the drop in experience quality that a viewer suffers from the move to a small venue is tiny in comparison to that which comes with home video (which I don't turn my nose up at either!).


I'm shorter than you are. I generally don't have a problem wherever I go, although yesterday I got stuck behind a 6'2 guy with a fro on top of it when I went to go see The Leopard at the Filmotheque Quartier Latin.


P.S. If it was screened in 2.55:1 instead of 2.21:1 this wouldn't have been a probelm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
Perkins Cobb wrote:
And I see we're slipping on the LOL front here as well.

Sorry for the LOL (which, I guess was deleted) but I really did laugh when I read that post. It is such a New York kind of conversation going on about the summer heat and whether one should venture out into it.

I don't mind sitting in the theater if it is very hot or very cold. I am 3 1/2 blocks from the FF but will still vernture uptown if there is something I want to see. Most of the best theaters in NY have smallish screens. I've gotten use to it. As someone who is in my 50s I remember the old theaters with the giant screens and balconies with the ornate ceilings, and big fixtures. That is why I enjoy going to the Ziegfeld when they show something I want to see. It brings back memories.

Perkins Cobb wrote:
As for the Film Forum's programming, that's a matter of taste and so I guess it's pointless to argue ... but I'd nonetheless argue that Bruce is just cycling comfortably through the greatest hits most of the time, while MoMA, FSLC, and Anthology are consistently offering much more varied and challenging programs.

I disagree with this. Bruce as you say, is cycling through, is because many of these films are newly restored prints and being re-released by Janus, Rialto and even the big studios. Besides Bruce only deals with the repertory films. Karen Cooper runs the new releases aspect of the FF, which I feel is somewhat lacking in her choices. I wished she showed more asian films. It seems like most of the new films she show are from Europe. Although, her choice of documentaries are terrific.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 pm
I could be wrong, but I get the sense in the past repertory houses would just screen any random film, even if it wasn't necessarily "officially" being rereleased. It was like, "what the hell, on Saturday afternoon we'll screen My Night at Maud's, next Wednesday evening we'll show Au hasard Balthazar, two weeks now we'll probably screen Late Spring one evening", and so on. "Official" rereleases would be included in the repertoire, as well of course...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
Perkins Cobb wrote:
Well, since you asked, yes, get your fainting couch ready, because I have been known to take a cab to work when it's in the 90s and humid. I find the summers here totally unbearable and only venture away from my A/C for the essentials (food and work); everything else can wait until fall. I mean, in theory, movies belong on the essentials list too, but in practice it takes so long to cool off after I get there that I can't enjoy them. Believe me, I've tried.

If you have some secret for getting around town without ending up totally drenched in sweat, please, enlighten us.
Ha! This is part of what makes the city the city. To me at least it defeats the purpose of living here if this is your attitude. I always have my bag with me that's never without water, fruit, another shirt, usually a tank top and a small towel to wipe my brow. You might find this to be unbearable but I always wear a tank underneath tshirts or whatever I'm wearing for it to absorb sweat. Also there are so many places to walk into that you can go into one of them at anytime to cool off. Subway stations suck but for the most part you're not really waiting down there long and unless you get incredibly unlucky the trains all have air conditioning. Where you stand in the subway is also key to remaining comfortable. I always lean against the door right under where the cool air from the air conditioner's coming out. I also grew up here spending many of those 90 degree humid days playing basketball at various city playgrounds so I'm probably more used to it than you but I'm also one of those people who sweats like a pig, I even broke out into a sweat walking down to the subway today if you could believe that. The other things I would suggest are buses, hop on for a bit, hop off and walk for a bit. Lastly, honestly walk as much as you can, your body will adapt and as I'm sure you know New York's awesome for walking. There's so many things happening on every block that before you know it your mind's going to be focusing on that instead of your swamp ass.


hearthesilence wrote:
Not even 5 years in NY and still in my 20's. Again, NYC is the only city where waiting in a subway station will build up an enormous sweat. 5-10 minutes under muggy 90+ degree temps, especially after a long walk through the heat to the station, is ridiculous. I've lived in D.C. over the summer where it's like a humidor, and it's actually a relief to go in the MTA station. I'm lucky that it's okay for me to wear shorts and even a T-shirt to work if it's really hot - in D.C., I had to wear a suit, and I had to peel out of it at the end of the day.
Ah so you still need to get used to it but trust me that ain't happening if you continue trying to avoid it or insist on getting around it because that's a fight you're going to lose. That's one of the best things about New York, this is the way it is, if you don't like it either you'll learn to like it or leave. Another tip keep your ear to the ground so if you just missed a train you can stay up for a couple extra minutes.

I have to admit, my cold, dark native New Yorker heart gets all warm and fuzzy when hearing invaders, ahem, I mean transplants whine about my home. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
FrauBlucher wrote:
That is why I enjoy going to the Ziegfeld when they show something I want to see. It brings back memories.
What a fantastic theater the Ziegfeld is. Sadly the times where they show something I want to see are few and far between. Think the last film I saw there was The Master.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:36 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm
Yuck. I've lived here for almost 15 years and it's as much my home as yours, BlackHat. The only remedy for the disgusting summer heat is a shower, and the last time I checked MoMA didn't have any. (Insert joke about disgusting MoMA bathrooms here.) What would defeat the purpose is forcing myself to go out to screenings (or any other recreational activity) when the chances of my enjoying them while soaked in sweat is zero. I learned that the hard way, but it didn't take me long. Sensible way of dealing with humid East Coast summers? Stay out of 'em.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:15 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
Black Hat wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
That is why I enjoy going to the Ziegfeld when they show something I want to see. It brings back memories.
What a fantastic theater the Ziegfeld is. Sadly the times where they show something I want to see are few and far between. Think the last film I saw there was The Master.

The Master was the last film I saw at the Ziegfeld. You're right about the desirable films screened at the Ziegfeld, "being few and far between." I do have fingers crossed that The Grand Budapest Hotel will screen there.

Where I grew up in Besonhurst, there was a great old Theater called The Walker. It was magnificent. On weekends they would run James Bond, Planet of Apes and other films that had mutiple sequels. Us kiddies would spend all day in there. If this theater was still around I'm sure it would receive landmark status. My Junior High School even used the theater for graduations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
rrenault wrote:
I could be wrong, but I get the sense in the past repertory houses would just screen any random film, even if it wasn't necessarily "officially" being rereleased. It was like, "what the hell, on Saturday afternoon we'll screen My Night at Maud's, next Wednesday evening we'll show Au hasard Balthazar, two weeks now we'll probably screen Late Spring one evening", and so on. "Official" rereleases would be included in the repertoire, as well of course...

It used to be more difficult for repertory houses to get their hands on films, that's why they were so random. Today it is markedly easier, especially with DCP screenings becoming more prevalent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC
FrauBlucher wrote:
Black Hat wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
That is why I enjoy going to the Ziegfeld when they show something I want to see. It brings back memories.
What a fantastic theater the Ziegfeld is. Sadly the times where they show something I want to see are few and far between. Think the last film I saw there was The Master.

The Master was the last film I saw at the Ziegfeld. You're right about the desirable films screened at the Ziegfeld, "being few and far between." I do have fingers crossed that The Grand Budapest Hotel will screen there.


Were you guys at the pop-up screening with Weinstein, Adams et al? If you were, Jesus wasn't that ridiculous? For something that was open to the public, I was shocked at all the celebrities around, I had to drag my jaw out of there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
Perkins Cobb wrote:
Yuck. I've lived here for almost 15 years and it's as much my home as yours, BlackHat. The only remedy for the disgusting summer heat is a shower, and the last time I checked MoMA didn't have any. (Insert joke about disgusting MoMA bathrooms here.) What would defeat the purpose is forcing myself to go out to screenings (or any other recreational activity) when the chances of my enjoying them while soaked in sweat is zero. I learned that the hard way, but it didn't take me long. Sensible way of dealing with humid East Coast summers? Stay out of 'em.
Nothing more fun than reminding transplants that actually no it's now your home as much as it is mind and that you're not actually a 'New Yorker'. :wink: I think it's hilarious that 3 months out of the year you stay home, which considering you've here been 15 years means that you've stayed home for 4 of them. You really can't make this stuff up.


heartthesilence: no as much as I wanted I wasn't at that screening, went on random weeknight. What a great theater it is. With all the rumors of it closing I'm really glad it's still with us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm
Black Hat wrote:
Nothing more fun than reminding transplants that actually no it's now your home as much as it is mind and that you're not actually a 'New Yorker'. :wink: I think it's hilarious that 3 months out of the year you stay home, which considering you've here been 15 years means that you've stayed home for 4 of them. You really can't make this stuff up.

Think I've got it now: I'm a less qualified New Yorker than you are, and my tactics for beating the summer heat have earned your scorn and condescension. Thanks for clarifying that! Repeatedly.

And in total I've probably spent a lot more than 4 out of the last 15 years holed up in my home, and since this is a home video forum where many of us frequently bemoan the size of our kevyip (kevyips? is there a consensus on the plural form?), I'll wager I'm not alone in that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
I'm only busting on you Perkins. My point was mainly remarking on how things are nowhere near as extreme as you made them out to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:50 pm 

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm
Black Hat wrote:
I'm only busting on you Perkins. My point was mainly remarking on how things are nowhere near as extreme as you made them out to be.

Fine. We'll have to disagree on that one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:32 am
Location: New York, NY
rrenault wrote:
But the Angelika seems more focused on new releases, unless things have changed in the interim. Much like Lincoln Plaza, the Angelika's really just an 'indie' theater.
I personally don't make a distinction between a theater showing repertory and/or new indie/mini-majors/arthouse movies. Theaters that cater to cinephiles, by definition, cater to an audience that seeks out movie product outside the AMC-type regular product. No, Angelika doesn't program repertory (though Allen's "Blue Jasmine" ran for so long there and at Lincoln Plaza it almost became repertory) but I consider it as essential a stop for can't-easily-find-around movies as AA, FF or IFC. Quad Cinemas and Cinema Village too when they get a good film going (as infrequent and sporadic as they tend to be, like BAM's themed retrospectives). It could be worse, I could live in Arizona and have THIS as my only option around the Phoenix area. :(

Heck, I'm going to see "Shane" Sunday morning at Film Forum (never seen it before), and then walking over to Landmark to watch Reggio's "Visitors." But I could have easily stopped by Angelika to check "Gloria," or IFC Center for "Stranger By The Lake," or Anthology for its Carolee Schneemann-hosted retrospective of her work (sorry, Carolee, it conflicts with the big game :)). New or old, these theaters put out product that caters to us so I can't bring myself to dress them down too much for nitpicks like screen size and subway rattling. Film Forum, personally, seems to have achieved the happy medium between new and repertory schedules to keep the place running year-round and constantly getting me to come back. That might explain why Goldstein is accused of pandering and 'golden oldies' programming: because it works his half of FF's sidewalk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:32 am
Location: New York, NY
rrenault wrote:
But the Angelika seems more focused on new releases, unless things have changed in the interim. Much like Lincoln Plaza, the Angelika's really just an 'indie' theater.
dad1153 wrote:
No, Angelika doesn't program repertory (though Allen's "Blue Jasmine" ran for so long there and at Lincoln Plaza it almost became repertory)...
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I stand corrected, Angelika does show repertory movies. My bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
The FF has added Tarkovsky's Nostalghia to their schedule.
March 5 to March 11.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am
In 35MM no less!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm
Location: NYC
Has to be the same restoration that was at BAM last summer right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Film Forum (NYC)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
I was wondering the same thing, but it doesn't mention "restoration" and they usually do. I'll be there tomorrow night to see Child's Pose. I will ask.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection