Víctor Erice

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
puxzkkx

Re: Vi­ctor Erice

#26 Post by puxzkkx » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:47 pm

The Rapidshire links have expired. :S

puxzkkx

#28 Post by puxzkkx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks muchly!

puxzkkx

#29 Post by puxzkkx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:33 am

The Part 2 file still doesnt work for me... Stuffit lets me expand Part 1 but not Part 2

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#30 Post by "membrillo" » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:59 pm

"La Morte Rouge"

Is this or has this ever been available for download anywhere?

rohmerin

#31 Post by rohmerin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:26 am

Blu Ray + DVD with English subtitles for The south and Spirit of beehive, exclusive (very VERY expensive) at fnac.es

http://cine.fnac.es/a627424/Pack-Victor ... specificar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mundodvd.com/showthread.php?t=87277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently it's Region B and 2 for the dvds.

perkizitore

#32 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 am

This set has English subs, right?

Peacock

#33 Post by Peacock » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:49 am

rohmerin wrote:Blu Ray + DVD with English subtitles for The south and Spirit of beehive, exclusive (very VERY expensive) at fnac.es

perkizitore

#34 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:56 am

I know how to read, i was just asking if anyone who has the set can confirm this...

Peacock

Re: Victor Erice

#35 Post by Peacock » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 am

Check the link rohmerin posted, the back of the box says it has english subtitles. I doubt they would put that there if they hadn't gone to the expense of adding english subs.

feihong

#36 Post by feihong » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 am

Is no one else feeling a little elated by this? Spirit of the Beehive is one of my all-time favorite movies, and it's out on blu-ray? And it's available now? It doesn't seem that ridiculously expensive to me, either; it's 2 films for like $50 total. Not cheap, but not Japanese-level prices exactly.

Is there something I'm missing here to account for the seeming lack of enthusiasm? Does FNAC not ship internationally? Is the quality on these discs not good?

Tommaso

#37 Post by Tommaso » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:42 am

Fnac does ship internationally, but their shipping costs are among the most ridiculous I ever encountered. Plus, at least those who still watch SD discs only will have the CC "Spirit of the Beehive" already. That said, it's of course good that "El Sur" is finally available with subs; but I seem to remember very vaguely that CC said that more Erice was in the making...

feihong

#38 Post by feihong » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Oh. So is El Sur the only film in the set on blu-ray? Is Beehive just in SD? Then that would be lame.

Tommaso

#39 Post by Tommaso » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:22 pm

No, of course not. I guess I just wanted to say that I don't have a blu player and thus "Beehive" wouldn't mean an upgrade for me over the CC. In other words, what I want is "El Sur" on dvd, with or without an extra Blu. But preferably without "Beehive".

zedz

#40 Post by zedz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Tommaso wrote:Fnac does ship internationally, but their shipping costs are among the most ridiculous I ever encountered.
Yes. This is fantastic news, but fnac's shipping is punitive. If they've still got their fabulous exclusive edition of The Quince Tree Sun available, that might spread the load a little.

feihong

#41 Post by feihong » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Sorry, Tommaso; I'm using Google translator to look at the site. I thought someone was reading something I couldn't. I think I'll still order this. A blu-ray of Beehive is too good to pass up. Hope it's not upscaled or anything like that.

rohmerin

#42 Post by rohmerin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:03 am

in post 28 and post 29 two españoles talk about the quality of the Blu and DVD. They say it's not perfect, the booklet is shit but they don't have made screen captures.
Naturally, they don't talk about the subtitles in the Blu. The Londoner user kwons well Spain, you have to ask always about if it is real or not all the back cover says. This is Spain !!! and we are different (Franco's said, and I'm afraid it's true)

http://mundodvd.com/showthread.php?t=85 ... ight=erice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you visit Madrid this summer (menudas ganas con ese calor) you can enjoy a big retrospectiva of Antonio López (the painter in El sol del membrillo) at the Thyssen's Museum

rohmerin

#43 Post by rohmerin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 am

Erice's short film La morte rouge

http://www.fileserve.com/file/jxCSU4E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fileserve.com/file/jxCSU4E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#44 Post by perkizitore » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:42 pm

This set is on a 3 for 2 offer, meaning 3 sets only cost 74 euros plus shipping. Are any UK members interested in importing these and splitting the cost? Rohmerin, you could easily buy 3 sets, keep one for yourself and then sell the others at Fnac's normal price.

rohmerin

#45 Post by rohmerin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:53 am

Sadly I can not afford to pay 74 euros at this moment but write in English to Spanish collectors here and ask them. May be you can translate it to Spanish, or fly with ryanair to a FNAC town.

Hilo especial para compras conjuntas:

http://mundodvd.com/showthread.php?t=72222&page=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zedz

#46 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm

zedz

#47 Post by zedz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:10 pm

I received the Spirit of the Beehive / El Sur BluRay set yesterday, so here's an initial report:

Decent book-style packaging, with the four discs (this is a dual-format edition) housed in the inside covers and a passable Spanish language book (credits, an essay, filmographies) sandwiched between.

The discs are barebones, but the transfers are good. Beehive looks like an older transfer - possibly the same source as the Criterion DVD - and the sharpness seems to vary (I just did a quick chapter-stop skim of each film). El Sur, on the evidence of my skim, is a beauty; crisp and sharp with good grain. Both are English-subbed, of course.

I also picked up La Morte rouge, which I haven't watched yet, but which is a remarkably stacked package for a short film, including Erice's stand-out contribution to the Ten Minutes Older portmanteaus, Lifeline, and a couple of extras pertaining to that film, plus a nearly hour-long interview with Erice. All the extras have English subs.

zedz

#48 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:46 pm

Update:

Le Mort Rouge is a lovely essay film about Erice's childhood relationship with cinema that resonates strongly with his first two features. It'd be a charming minor work if Erice actually had enough works to constitute a normal career. The interview on the disc is also good value, and if you haven't already got Lifeline, it's a must.

The big news is that the BluRay transfer of El Sur is absolutely stunning, and this is one of the most beautiful films of the eighties. It had been more than 20 years since I saw it and really remembered only a couple of sequences from it and the way Erice treated light coming through windows, and I fell in love with the film all over again. A major, major masterpiece, but what Erice feature isn't?

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#49 Post by "membrillo" » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Just placed my order. FNAC is running a 3 for 2 sale until Feb 27.

zedz

#50 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 pm

I don't know if they're all eligible, but FNAC has three exclusive Erices for those interested.