It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 am 

It's everlasting gift to the world

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:10 pm 

It strikes me that the best way to spin this Matrix reboot would be as a 'Fire Walks With Me'-style prequel showing one of the previous 'failed' Neos going through the inevitable cycle of death and return to the Matrix. You could probably mine that for a lot of pathos and ideas of moving towards a pre-ordained tragic fate for that Neo and their band of humans. (Especially in a post Rogue One world!)

Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 pm 

This thread is going to interfere with my namesearching terribly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 pm 

One of the more frustrating aspects of proposed prequel/reboot thing planned for The Matrix franchise is how, inevitably, it will end up being not as smart or original as the Wachowskis' version. Mind you, the original wasn't mind-blowingly intellectual or anything. But it was smarter than your average actioner. I appreciated that elements of Nietzsche's "On Truth and Lying in a Non-Moral Sense" could be found in Cypher's character and his desire to remain ignorantly blissful. I appreciated that it was trying.

Whoever writes the new version is probably not going to be as interested in thoughtful associations between science-fiction and philosophy; rather, they will be writer hired to develop the intellectual property. It will be the result of trying to continue/revalidate a successful franchise, not the result of trying to create something innovative (in many ways, this was the problem with Reloaded and Revolutions as well).

Of course, I could be wrong, and the new screenwriter(s) might incorporate some nuggets of philosophy that will make the new film talked about for years to come. But I have a feeling that the eventual film will be rooted in regurgitating the franchise and its commercial possibilities, as opposed to anything that makes the viewer think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 am 

Interstellar needs to be rebooted ASAP.