Shelley Duvall

Discuss films and filmmakers of the 20th century (and even a little of the 19th century). Threads may contain spoilers.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Shelley Duvall

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:58 am

Couldn't think of anywhere that it would be more appropriate to post this, but it sadly seems that Shelley Duvall is in the throes of some pretty serious mental illness.

Feego

Re: 230 3 Women

#2 Post by Feego » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Rumors of Duvall's declining mental health have circulated for years in the tabloids, but I held out hope that it was just typical National Inquirer bullshit. It's very sad to see it confirmed here and even worse that it's fodder for Dr. Phil. I agree with the author of that article in hoping a real medical team will help Duvall after this airs. She was such a quintessential part of my childhood with her Faerie Tale Theatre and the must-be-seen-to-be-believed Mother Goose Rock 'n Rhymeland TV special, so this is particularly heartbreaking.

Magic Hate Ball

#3 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:59 pm

I'm glad that the overwhelming response to this seems to be that Dr Phil is exploiting her, rather than mocking her illness.

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:36 am

I think this was shown on the Disney Channel. I remember seeing it a few times as a kid. Guy who directed this did the Who documentary The Kids Are All Right, and would go on in the 80's to direct music videos, including Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More" and Warrant's "Cherry Pie".

Feego

#5 Post by Feego » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:20 am

Yes, this aired on the Disney Channel around 1989-1990. It's fun to note that Little Richard's royal court in this special looks mighty similar to the chess board tea party set in the "Don't Come Around Here No More" video. Duvall showed a real knack for eclectic casting and crew assembly on her shows, so I wouldn't be surprised if she picked the director based solely on that Tom Petty video. It really was right up her alley with its blend of fairy tale and contemporary MTV style.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Shelley Duvall

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:16 am

I'm heartened that a conversation that began in the context of Duvall's recent exploitation has naturally evolved into an appreciation of her most personal works.

Michael Kerpan

#7 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:36 am

Has Faerie Tale Theatre ever gotten a satisfactory DVD/Blu release?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:39 am

Looks like several DVD sets that keep going out of print in favor of new editions: this is the current one, and the price is right. No indication from the reviews that there are issues with it.

solaris72

#9 Post by solaris72 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:27 pm

I think it was shot on video so SD is as good as it'd get.

ianthemovie

#10 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:33 pm

That's right, it was shot on video. The one exception is the Roger Vadim-directed episode of Beauty and the Beast (basically a remake of Cocteau's version, with Susan Sarandon as Beauty and Klaus Kinski as the beast!), in which the scenes at the beast's castle were shot on video and everything else was shot on film. I've never understood why.

Faerie Tale Theatre was a staple of my childhood, when my family would rent the episodes on VHS. Because of that Shelley Duvall has been a part of my film-watching life for a long time. (She stars in several of the episodes herself, and also introduces each one with her memorable sing-song: "Hello! I'm Shelley Duvall. Welcome to Faerie Tale Theatre...") In later years I went on to see her in such great films as The Shining, Nashville, and 3 Women, but I will always cherish Faerie Tale Theatre. It was obviously made with such love by Duvall, and it has a charm and a lightness of touch that so many present-day children's films and TV shows lack. In terms of bringing out the basic emotional power of the source material, the FTT versions of "Cinderella," "Snow White," and "Rapunzel" are arguably better than the Disney versions (which are masterpieces of animation but which often miss the mark in capturing the essence of the stories on which they are based).

All of this is to say that I'm heartbroken to see Duvall's mental deterioration. She's such a sui generis figure in cinema--a cult figure, really--and it would be a shame to see her life end on this note.

It's also worth remembering that Duvall won the Best Actress award at Cannes for 3 Women.

onedimension

#11 Post by onedimension » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:13 am

Just adding my voice to the chorus here, Shelley Duvall was a wonderful performer, and I hope she finds her way to a place of robust mental health- a challenge I know well.

And I grew up watching Faerie Tale Theatre, too, it has such a great sensibility, smart, light, low-maintenance. And the actors are all clearly having tremendous fun, but in a way that takes the project, and the audience, seriously.

Feego

#12 Post by Feego » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:29 pm

I actually own two editions of Faerie Tale Theatre (the original Starmaker II set and the more elaborately packaged Koch Vision set, both now OOP). Both sets seem to have come from different masters. I think the Starmaker II has better image quality overall, although probably no edition will ever be optimal considering the source. All episodes on the Koch Vision edition open with the theme music and montage that was used for syndication on the Disney Channel; the earlier set does not have this. The Koch edition also came with a soft-cover book beautifully illustrated with production photos and a deck of playing cards featuring characters from the series (Shelley Duvall is the joker!).

The big plus with the Koch set was that it features as a supplement a long-lost episode that has come to be known as "Grimm Party." You can see it in its entirety on YouTube here. It's basically just a Greatest Moments package, with scripted scenes of Duvall "making a case" for her show to the Grimm brothers, played by Ed Begley Jr. and Richard Libertini, with memorable clips from the series shown throughout. The best part, though, is that interspersed with the scripted scenes is footage from Duvall's wrap party, with various celebrity guests talking directly to the camera paying tribute to Duvall and saying how much fun they had doing the show. Howie Mandell, Brock Peters, Karen Black, Pam Dawber, and many others appear. And in appropriate fairy tale fashion, it's a costume party!

swo17

#13 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 pm

I have vague memories of watching Faerie Tale Theatre as a child, but it might have just been the "Three Little Pigs" episode over and over. Jeff Goldblum as the Big Bad Wolf haunts my dreams.