It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 am 

I don't know in NYC,

I've just come back from London and that Odeon cinema almost in Hyde Park with Oxford St has been demolished for making... a super expensive flat building for oligarchs. How strange. Everywhere are making flats.

BUT in North Regent Street a new Cinema, pretty cool the lobby, has arrived, and they play independent and Repertory.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm 

Buttery Jeb wrote:
The new Film Forum repertory calendar is up. Along with the Bergman Centennial, Janus Films has a new 4K restoration of Mizoguchi's A Story From Chikamatsu/The Crucified Lovers coming soon, along with 4K restorations of Sansho the Bailiff and Belle de Jour.

Holy shit they really are charging separate admissions for all the versions of Fanny and Alexander. $45 if you want to to see the whole film in theaters.

I have to say this calendar does nothing for me. DCPs and 4k restorations galore, fewer and fewer 35mm prints. BAM recently fired a lead programmer and their selections seem less interesting. And MOMI, after a few years of amazing retrospectives doesn't seem to have any repertory cinema going at the moment. Lincoln Center, MOMA, Metrograph, and The Quad are the only ones focusing on 35mm which surely makes my life easier, but weird to see such a quick shift away from 35mm at the other places.

The most interesting thing is the Sjostrom films, to me, and they are playing once each! Too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm 

Drucker wrote:
And MOMI, after a few years of amazing retrospectives doesn't seem to have any repertory cinema going at the moment.

FWIW, besides Histoire(s) du Cinéma (in 35mm?), they are scheduled to screen a rare 35mm print of the full four-hour version of La Belle Noiseuse (Quad was screening a DCP, albeit a 4k restoration) and some other great and rare Stan Brakhage films in 16mm and even 35mm. All of this is over the next several weekends.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm 

Drucker wrote:
Buttery Jeb wrote:
The new Film Forum repertory calendar is up. Along with the Bergman Centennial, Janus Films has a new 4K restoration of Mizoguchi's A Story From Chikamatsu/The Crucified Lovers coming soon, along with 4K restorations of Sansho the Bailiff and Belle de Jour.

Holy shit they really are charging separate admissions for all the versions of Fanny and Alexander. $45 if you want to to see the whole film in theaters.

I have to say this calendar does nothing for me. DCPs and 4k restorations galore, fewer and fewer 35mm prints. BAM recently fired a lead programmer and their selections seem less interesting. And MOMI, after a few years of amazing retrospectives doesn't seem to have any repertory cinema going at the moment. Lincoln Center, MOMA, Metrograph, and The Quad are the only ones focusing on 35mm which surely makes my life easier, but weird to see such a quick shift away from 35mm at the other places.

The most interesting thing is the Sjostrom films, to me, and they are playing once each! Too bad.

Here's the calendar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:00 pm 

hearthesilence wrote:
Drucker wrote:
And MOMI, after a few years of amazing retrospectives doesn't seem to have any repertory cinema going at the moment.

FWIW, besides Histoire(s) du Cinéma (in 35mm?), they are scheduled to screen a rare 35mm print of the full four-hour version of La Belle Noiseuse (Quad was screening a DCP, albeit a 4k restoration) and some other great and rare Stan Brakhage films in 16mm and even 35mm. All of this is over the next several weekends.

Saw the Brakhage, not the rest of those. In my defense their calendar layout is atrocious and half of the things listed are evergreen and never go away, so it's hard to catch what is actually new!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:01 pm 

To Save and Project returns tonight at MoMA - some very interesting screenings, the type you many not be able to see anywhere else anytime soon.

Drucker wrote:
Saw the Brakhage, not the rest of those. In my defense their calendar layout is atrocious and half of the things listed are evergreen and never go away, so it's hard to catch what is actually new!

Absolutely - it's even worse if you look on your phone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm 

Drucker wrote:

A weeklong Michel Piccoli retro and not even one film that's really obscure or unavailable on disc. Classic Bruce "Just Play the Hits" Goldstein.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm 

Perkins Cobb wrote:
A weeklong Michel Piccoli retro and not even one film that's really obscure or unavailable on disc. Classic Bruce "Just Play the Hits" Goldstein.

Of course - why else would he have this poster on his door?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 am 

I'm most disappointed by the 16mm print of HE WHO GETS SLAPPED that they'll be running. Sad. The film and the audience deserve way better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14