Festival Circuit 2023

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Festival Circuit 2023

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:30 pm

How time flies... I'll keep this post updated with program, jury, awards, and other relevant information on the major film festivals as the year in fests continues to develop. If you're lucky enough to be able to attend one of these (or another local or specialty festival), let the rest of us know which films to keep an eye on!

UPDATED 08/09/2023

2023 Sundance Film Festival (Jan. 19 - Jan. 29): Program / Awards
Notable premieres: All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt (Jackson); Animalia (Alaoui); Bad Behaviour (Englert); Cassandro (Williams); Cat Person (Fogel); Divinity (Alcazar); Eileen (Oldroyd); Fair Play (Domont); Flora and Son (Carney); Infinity Pool (Cronenberg); Jamojaya (Chon); Justice (Liman); Landscape with Invisible Hand (Finley); A Little Prayer (MacLachlan); Magazine Dreams (Bynum); Passages (Sachs); Past Lives (Song); Polite Society Manzoor); Scrapper (Regan); The Starling Girl (Parmet); Theater Camp (Gordon); A Thousand and One (Rockwell); When It Melts (Baeten); You Hurt My Feelings (Holofcener)

73rd Berlin International Film Festival (Feb. 16 - Feb. 26): Program / Jury (President: Kristen Stewart) / Awards (Golden Bear: On the Adamant)
Notable premieres: Afire (Petzold); Blackberry (Johnson); In Water (Hong); Ingeborg Bachmann – Journey into the Desert (von Trotta); Manodrome (Trengove); On the Adamant (Philibert); She Came to Me (Miller); Superpower (Penn, Kaufman); The Survival of Kindness (de Heer)

76th Cannes Film Festival (May 16 - May 27): Program / Jury (President: Ruben Östlund) / Awards (Palme D'or: Anatomy of a Fall)
Notable premieres:
Competition: About Dry Grasses (Ceylan); Asteroid City (Anderson); La Chimera (Rohrwacher); Club Zero (Hausner); L'Ete Dernier (Breillat); Fallen Leaves (Kaurismäki); Jeunesse (Wang); May/December (Haynes); Monster (Kore-eda); The Old Oak (Loach); Perfect Days (Wenders); Rapito (Bellochio); The Zone of Interest (Glazer)

Out of Competition: Anselm (Wenders); Cerrar Los Ojos (Erice); Cobweb (Kim); Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Mangold); Killers of the Flower Moon (Scorsese); Kubi (Kitano); Man in Black (Wang); The New Boy (Thornton); Occupied City (McQueen); Retratos Fantasmas (Mendonça);

80th Venice International Film Festival (Aug. 30 - Sep. 9): Program / Jury (President: ) / Awards (Golden Lion: ; Silver Lion:)
Notable premieres:
Competition: The Beast (Bonello); El Conde (Larrain); Dogman (Besson); Evil Does Not Exist (Hamaguchi); Ferrari (Mann); Green Border (Holland); Hors-Saison (Brizé); Io Capitano (Garrone); The Killer (Fincher); Maestro (Bradley Cooper); Memory (Franco); Origin (DuVernay); Poor Things (Lanthimos); Priscilla (Coppola); The Promised Land (Arcel);

Out of Competition: Aggro Dr1ft (Korine); The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (Friedkin); Coup de Chance (Allen); Daaaaaali! (Dupieux); Hit Man (Linklater); L'Ordine del Tempo (Cavani); The Palace (Polanski); Society of the Snow (Bayona); The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (Anderson)

50th Telluride Film Festival (Aug. 31 - Sep. 4): Program
Notable premieres: All of Us Strangers (Haigh); The Bikeriders (Nichols); Fingernails (Nikou); The Holdovers (Payne); Janet Planet (Baker); Nyad (Chin; Vaserhelyi); The Penguin Tunnel (Morris); The Royal Hotel (Green); Rustin (Wolfe); Saltburn (Fennell); Wildcat (Hawke)

2023 Toronto International Film Festival (Sep. 9 - Sep. 18): Program / Awards (People's Choice: )
Notable premieres: The Boy and the Heron (Miyazaki); The Burial (Betts); The Dead Don't Hurt (Mortensen); Dear Jassi (Tarsem); Dicks: The Musical (Charles); Dumb Money (Gillespie); Les Indésirables (Ly); Knox Goes Away (Keaton); Lee (Kuras); Next Goal Wins (Waititi); North Star (Thomas); Pain Hustlers (Yates); Seven Veils (Egoyan); Shoshana (Winterbottom); Silver Dollar Road (Peck); Woman of the Hour (Kendrick)

61st New York Film festival (Sep. 29 - Oct. 15): Program
Notable Premieres:

Opening Night - May/December (Haynes)
Centerpiece - Priscilla (Coppola)
Closing Night - Ferrari (Mann)

DarkImbecile

Re: Festival Circuit 2023

#2 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:31 pm

Sundance announces 99 films for 2023 edition, including new works from Brandon Cronenberg, William Oldroyd, Cory Finley, Justin Chon, Randall Park, Ira Sachs, and Nicole Holofcener

beamish14

#3 Post by beamish14 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:52 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:31 pm
Sundance announces 99 films for 2023 edition, including new works from Brandon Cronenberg, William Oldroyd, Cory Finley, Justin Chon, Randall Park, Ira Sachs, and Nicole Holofcener

Cronenberg’s sister Caitlin also has a feature that will likely do festival rounds next year as well

Also, this has me sold:

The Tuba Thieves / U.S.A. (Director, Screenwriter, and Producer: Alison O’Daniel, Producer: Rachel Nederveld, Wendy Ettinger, Maida Lynn, Su Kim, Maya E. Rudolph) — From 2011 to 2013, tubas were stolen from Los Angeles high schools. This is not a story about thieves or missing tubas. Instead, it asks what it means to listen

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#4 Post by dekadetia » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:41 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:31 pm
Does anyone have a sense of how much of the slate will be available virtually? Thinking about taking the plunge on the online package this year.

DarkImbecile

#5 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:45 am

Each description in that release and on the program linked in the first post indicates if they’re available online; I believe all of the competition slates and NEXT films are online, but only a handful of the Midnight and Premiere sections.

I’ll also be buying a pass again this year; they go on sale next Tuesday

DarkImbecile

#6 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm

DarkImbecile

#7 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:04 pm

Sundance 2023 online passes now on sale; single film tickets available starting January 12th

DarkImbecile

#8 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:03 pm

Berlinale Classics lineup will include restorations of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (Kramer), Mapantsula (Schmitz), Naked Lunch (Cronenberg), Romeo und Julia aux dem Dorfe (Schmidely, Trommer), Sogni d'oro (Moretti), Szürkület (Fehér), A Woman of Paris (Chaplin), and Yoru no Kawa (Yoshimura).

Meanwhile, the Retrospective section will be a series of films under the heading "Young at Heart — Coming of Age at the Movies" and selected by an eclectic list of filmmakers: Maren Ade, Pedro Almodóvar, Wes Anderson, Juliette Binoche, Lav Diaz, Alice Diop, Ava DuVernay, Nora Fingscheidt, Luca Guadagnino, Ryūsuke Hamaguchi, Ethan Hawke, Karoline Herfurth, Niki Karimi, Nadine Labaki, Nadav Lapid, Sergei Loznitsa, Mohammad Rasoulof, Céline Sciamma, Martin Scorsese, Aparna Sen, M. Night Shyamalan, Carla Simón, Abderrahmane Sissako, Tilda Swinton, Wim Wenders, and Jasmila Žbanić.

beamish14

#9 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:57 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:03 pm
Berlinale Classics lineup will include restorations of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (Kramer), Mapantsula (Schmitz), Naked Lunch (Cronenberg), Romeo und Julia aux dem Dorfe (Schmidely, Trommer), Sogni d'oro (Moretti), Szürkület (Fehér), A Woman of Paris (Chaplin), and Yoru no Kawa (Yoshimura).

Meanwhile, the Retrospective section will be a series of films under the heading "Young at Heart — Coming of Age at the Movies" and selected by an eclectic list of filmmakers: Maren Ade, Pedro Almodóvar, Wes Anderson, Juliette Binoche, Lav Diaz, Alice Diop, Ava DuVernay, Nora Fingscheidt, Luca Guadagnino, Ryūsuke Hamaguchi, Ethan Hawke, Karoline Herfurth, Niki Karimi, Nadine Labaki, Nadav Lapid, Sergei Loznitsa, Mohammad Rasoulof, Céline Sciamma, Martin Scorsese, Aparna Sen, M. Night Shyamalan, Carla Simón, Abderrahmane Sissako, Tilda Swinton, Wim Wenders, and Jasmila Žbanić.

I like how Binoche is the only one who picked a film she was a part of

DarkImbecile

#10 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 am

Berlin announces their Competition and Encounters lineups (including fims from Christian Petzoldt, Hong Sang-soo, Margarethe von Trotta, Phillips Garrel, and Rolf de Heer), plus that Sean Penn Ukraine documentary

yoloswegmaster

#11 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:41 am

A French magazine called "Le Film Français" is saying that 'Oppenheimer', 'Priscilla', and the new Indiana Jones film will be premiering at Cannes this year.

yoloswegmaster

#12 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:15 am

Matthew Modine has seemingly confirmed that Oppenheimer will be shown at Cannes.

Roger Friedman is claiming that Cannes wants to screen Killers of the Flower Moon but only if the film is trimmed from its runtime of 3 hours and 20 minutes. While I wouldn't be surprised to see it premiere at Cannes, I personally don't believe that they would try and force a major figure like Scorsese to trim down his film just so that it can premiere out-of-competition there. It also doesn't make sense since the new Nuri Bilge Ceylan film is rumored to be in-competition and we all know that's going to have a long runtime just like his previous films.
Last edited by yoloswegmaster on Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cipater

#13 Post by Cipater » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:18 pm

Friedman, Showbiz 411 wrote:But Cannes can’t program such a long film, so they’re waiting to see how this all works out.
Yeah, something makes me doubt that this is true. It reads more like uninformed speculation than an actual inside scoop.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#14 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:02 pm

So Cannes is threatening to turn down Scorsese, DiCaprio, De Niro, and potentially-newly-minted Oscar-winner Brendan Fraser because they can't program something twenty minutes longer than Drive My Car, or the three episodes of Irma Vep they screened last year? The 500-minute Dead Souls was admittedly a big outlier for Cannes, but five years later they'd say no to a Scorsese movie of not even half that length? Gimme a break.

DarkImbecile

#15 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:09 am

Berlinale awards, including Silver Bears for Christian Petzold and Philippe Garrel

Matt

#16 Post by Matt » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:18 pm

Golden Bear for Nicolas Philibert. Nice to see him have something of a resurgence of recognition. To Be and To Have was the must-see documentary of its day.

yoloswegmaster

#17 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:19 am

Ruben Östlund is going to be the Jury President for this year's Cannes festival.

yoloswegmaster

#18 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 pm

It's being reported that the short film shot by Pedro Almodovar is going to be opening Cannes. It's also extremely like that Nanni Moretti will be in comp this year as his latest film is going to be released in June in France.

yoloswegmaster

#19 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 pm

Variety has confirmed that the latest Indiana Jones film will be shown at Cannes.

Variety also interviewed Thierry Fremaux, where he confirms that he is in discussions to get Killers of the Flower Moon.

therewillbeblus

#22 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:11 pm

IFF Boston's Spring Festival lineup is up - I'm gonna hit Blackberry and Master Gardener for sure - curious if anyone's seen/heard good things about others (I typically shy away from docs)

yoloswegmaster

#23 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:15 pm

Past Lives has gotten critical acclaim from its Sundance screening, so maybe that it something to watch?

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#24 Post by dekadetia » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:38 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:11 pm
IFF Boston's Spring Festival lineup is up - I'm gonna hit Blackberry and Master Gardener for sure - curious if anyone's seen/heard good things about others (I typically shy away from docs)
I really enjoyed Charcoal -- a more intimate and low-key spin on something like Bacurau, with a similar blend of realism and absurdity. Maeve Jinkings is excellent in the lead.

Pavel

#25 Post by Pavel » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:01 pm

The Eight Mountains is flawed, but I really enjoyed one particular stretch of it. I’d definitely watch the new Petzold