David Bowie (1947-2016)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.

nefilim

Re: David Bowie (1947-2016)

#77 Post by nefilim » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 am

Any one seen Just A Gigolo ? I know it has terrible reviews but would like to see it myself.

j99

#79 Post by j99 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:55 pm

nefilim wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 am
Any one seen Just A Gigolo ? I know it has terrible reviews but would like to see it myself.
Yes, I have. Unfortunately it’s as bad as the reviews suggest. I guess for the avid Bowie fan, it’s at best an interesting curio from what was his most creative period musically, but it’s hard to find any of the Berlin inspiration rubbing off on this film. The director David Hemmings did lose control of the final cut, and a great deal of the additional footage was lost in a fire, so you’re left with 90 minutes of incomprehension. I can’t see Criterion picking this up anytime soon.

zedz

#80 Post by zedz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:04 pm

The soundtrack album does contain an elusive Bowie song, credited to The Rebels. But the film sounds like the kind of terrible movie that isn’t any fun, so I’ve never been curious enough to subject myself to it.

j99

#81 Post by j99 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm

And very good it is too.

hearthesilence

#82 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:08 pm

Chris Hegedus just posted on social media that they've begun restoration work on Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Hopefully this means a Blu-ray (or UHD?) release in the future - the last physical release was DVD only.

yoloswegmaster

#83 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun May 14, 2023 7:44 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:08 pm
Chris Hegedus just posted on social media that they've begun restoration work on Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Hopefully this means a Blu-ray (or UHD?) release in the future - the last physical release was DVD only.
Looks like they will be touring a "never seen before" version of this in theaters in July:
Echo Velvet Ltd and The Makers Of will produce and manage a global week of activity that celebrates the re-release of the 50th anniversary edition of Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, with full marketing support from Warner Music and the David Bowie estate. Our version of the film, which features musician Jeff Beck, has never been seen before in cinema.

hearthesilence

#84 Post by hearthesilence » Sun May 14, 2023 2:07 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:44 am
hearthesilence wrote:
Looks like they will be touring a "never seen before" version of this in theaters in July:
Echo Velvet Ltd and The Makers Of will produce and manage a global week of activity that celebrates the re-release of the 50th anniversary edition of Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, with full marketing support from Warner Music and the David Bowie estate. Our version of the film, which features musician Jeff Beck, has never been seen before in cinema.
Interesting - I wonder if they just added the Jeff Beck footage, which was heavily bootlegged? (IIRC it was cut due to poor quality, but since it's been out there in YouTube land for a while, might as well include it and re-claim it.)

Roger Ryan

#85 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon May 15, 2023 7:28 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 2:07 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:44 am
hearthesilence wrote:
Interesting - I wonder if they just added the Jeff Beck footage, which was heavily bootlegged? (IIRC it was cut due to poor quality, but since it's been out there in YouTube land for a while, might as well include it and re-claim it.)
The Jeff Beck footage appears, in fairly good quality, in the recent Moonage Daydream film.

yoloswegmaster

#86 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 31, 2023 5:20 pm

The Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars blu will be released in August from Rhino Entertainment.

SeizureMilk

#87 Post by SeizureMilk » Wed May 31, 2023 7:08 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:20 pm
The Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars blu will be released in August from Rhino Entertainment.
$60 bucks seems a bit expensive for this film, doesn't it?

flyonthewall2983

#88 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 31, 2023 7:47 pm

Says 3 discs so looks like it could be a box set, with an added booklet and whatever promotional paraphernalia pertaining to the time could come along with it.

nicolas

#89 Post by nicolas » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 pm

I received my 2 CD + BD set of D.A. Pennebaker’s Ziggy Stardust from Amazon today (26€), surprisingly a day before the release date.
The packaging is a very cheap paper sleeve digipack which can get easily bent during shipping. I got lucky and other than a little corner dent it’s intact.

I was worried about this release as BD-video releases by music labels are often problematic in terms of compression, them converting masters into 1080i etc.

But no, this is a winner in all departments like it happens way to rarely. Criterion wasn’t needed, not in the slightest.

Disc is a BD-50, it’s a 1080p presentation, the 16mm source was NOT zoomed to 1.78:1 but kept in its OAR (contrary to what’s on the cover, which states "16:9") and the 4K master’s encoding is flawless from what I’ve seen.

One hint to those who commented that this new 4K restoration looks like "ass": You have no idea what you’re talking about when judging the quality of this restoration and you don’t know how lucky you are in getting this film available in THAT brilliant quality on BD.

So, in other words, it’s a phenomenal restoration with lush colors, deep blacks, truly extraordinary contrasts and a presentation that’s not far away from true 4K. I wish all concert films could look this spectacular. Combine that with the film’s amazing cinematography and you’ve got a definitive edition of this seminal moment for Bowie.

But what about the sound? It’s as great as the picture quality. The mixer for this release was Tony Visconti, Bowie’s longtime collaborator and he did both the 2.0 PCM mix and DTS-HD 5.1 track. Sounds marvelous in every way and probably better than any previous release.

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet but will very soon. This is such a treat and makes me look forward even more to Criterion’s Moonage Daydream UHD.

Blutarsky

#90 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:18 pm

Saw on twitter this morning that Richard Shepard, director of The Linguini Incident, has reacquired the rights to the movie and is planning on releasing a 4K director’s cut on blu ray next year.