John Green Adaptations

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#1 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Laura Dern cast as Hazel's mom in the forthcoming adaptation of John Green's the Fault in Our Stars-- this is the first bit of casting that gives me hope for this, but I still have grave doubts on this being anything but glossy pap

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:Laura Dern cast as Hazel's mom in the forthcoming adaptation of John Green's the Fault in Our Stars-- this is the first bit of casting that gives me hope for this, but I still have grave doubts on this being anything but glossy pap
And now Willem Dafoe is playing the Salinger/DFW amalgam Peter Van Houten! I pictured more a Phillip Seymour Hoffman type, but a casting coup nonetheless

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

John Green Adaptations

#3 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:40 pm

VERY interesting news: Sarah Polley will be the one adapting John Green's Looking For Alaska, both writing and directing. After the success of the Fault in Our Stars, I knew Hollywood would start funding more YA adaptations, but this is great material and given its subject matter, an intriguing one for a female voice to tackle

GaryC

#4 Post by GaryC » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:04 pm

domino harvey wrote:VERY interesting news: Sarah Polley will be the one adapting John Green's Looking For Alaska, both writing and directing. After the success of the Fault in Our Stars, I knew Hollywood would start funding more YA adaptations, but this is great material and given its subject matter, an intriguing one for a female voice to tackle
That is very interesting. I read that novel a few years back. For several years it was the only John Green novel to be published in the UK - not the case any more, of course.

knives

Re: John Green Adaptations

#6 Post by knives » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 pm

I only skimmed so maybe I'm missing the horrible part, but what's wrong in bringing up that a character written as not white and not thin is being cast against that? At worst it seems like those silly Jack Reacher complaints.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Maybe it's unclear, but Green is replying that of almost all of his characters never have their ethnicity even mentioned and the character casting this questioner is complaining about is for one of the few characters he's written explicitly as white, making the accusal all the more confusing. Basically someone's complaining that the casting was accurate!

knives

#8 Post by knives » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm

That's what I get for skimming.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:17 pm

YnEoS

#10 Post by YnEoS » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:06 pm

I enjoyed TFIOS well enough, I thought it did a serviceable job of bringing out the same feelings I got from reading the book, but I'd be more likely to re-read the book than re-watch the film. Watching John Green's youtube videos interacting with the actors on the set of Paper Towns has me a little more excited for this one, but not letting my expectations get too high. Such is always the awkwardness of seeing someone you follow from another sphere interact within a sphere you follow very closely.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:39 am

Tumblr Outrage Brigade turns on John Green, he responds with far more class and understanding than I think anyone in his position should be expected to exert in this scenario... and then US Weekly does the worst possible job of picking a pull-quote to lead their article