It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:22 pm 

I've had a copy of the Twilight Time release, but recently also ordered a copy of the UK StudioCanal release since it contains an extra scene between The Driver and The Player. The Twilight Time release shows a PG rating on the back, which I always took as correct as there's nothing in the film that would make me think an R-rating was warranted. The UK disc only features a series of 13 teaser trailers not on the Twilight Time release, so while watching these extras I noticed that the trailer narrator kept saying "Rated R." Sure enough, even the trailer on the Twilight Time disc shows the film carries an R-rating. I looked up the film on CARA's filmratings.org website, which shows The Driver was rated PG in 1983 with the annotation "1978 Rated:R; Edited for re-rating." IMDb doesn't have any information about the editing/rating change, nor has any review I've ever come across. The extra scene from the international release is certainly not the culprit as it is entirely dialogue & feature no objectionable language or subject matter.

Does anyone know anything more about this? IMDb talks about a 131 minute cut, but from my research that seems like it may be apocryphal and perhaps a misunderstanding about that supposed American Cinematheque screening. The international cut from the UK disc is 1 hour 31 minutes long, so maybe 1 hour 31 minutes was conflated into 131 minutes. Was the film truly re-edited in some way in 1983? Or is CARA's website misrepresenting it and the film was simply re-rated without actually being edited? Is the Twilight Time release truly the original R-rated version? I've never seen anyone complain it isn't and have no reason to believe it isn't, but I find it surprising the film as I've seen it was rated R, even in 1978. If it is the original version and the PG truly came from re-editing the film, does anyone know what is the PG version like?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:28 am 

I'd like to know too (I own the Twilight Time and it "look" as if it is an uncensored cut)
but I was intrigued by the trailer which include a french-kissing involving Mister "Love means never having to say you're sorry" (Ryan O'Neal) and Isabelle Adjani.
Often, trailer are some treasures because generally they could include some outtakes, delete scenes, etc... prior to the final cut.
and the fact that the romance stays "cold" totally fits with the "philosophy" of these characters...
So I wasn't surprised that this scene wasn't included....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:59 am 

Downloading this movie that I've never seen. It's one of the only 9 noir films I don't know included in the new, last and good TASCHEN book about 100 noirs.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/es/catalog ... orites.htm

I don't understand why O'Neal with his insane beauty did not have a better career. The same with Adjani in the States. Was it for her accent?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:05 am 

PfR73 wrote:
I've had a copy of the Twilight Time release, but recently also ordered a copy of the UK StudioCanal release since it contains an extra scene between The Driver and The Player.

Which scene is this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:48 pm 

After The Driver smashes the robbers' car when they try to recruit him, there's a scene of The Player showing up at The Driver's apartment/hotel room to ask him for money.

Information about it is here: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=655156