Mickey Rooney (1920-2014)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Movie-Brat

Re: Mickey Rooney (1920-2014)

#26 Post by Movie-Brat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:48 am

I remember him for plenty of projects. Of course, his appearance in The Simpsons is a classic but I remember his work on the Rankin/Bass stuff as Santa Claus. But I remember the first thing I saw him in was The Fox and the Hound. Back then, I didn't know who he was; I don't remember the film that well. Though I did see him in another Disney film, Pete's Dragon. I was not impressed with his appearance in Night of the Museum but the last thing I ever saw him in was The Muppets, the 2011 reboot.

Admittedly, I was a bit peeved on what he had to say about Silent Night, Deadly Night as only because he was preaching to the choir who had never saw it and I doubt he ever did but ironically he was in the fifth film. I don't have a grudge against him for that of course, just a little tidbit I wanted to share.

Fred Holywell

#27 Post by Fred Holywell » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Feego wrote:I swear they must already have these things made up in advance for Kirk Douglas, Doris Day, Luise Rainer, and every other TCM favorite who is at the far end of 80.
Quite a ways in advance, apparently. Wasn't it Bob Hope whose front-page NY Times obit was penned by the film critic Vincent Canby, who had already pre-deceased him by a few years.

As for the Mick, I'll miss his curmudgeonly modern-day presence turning up on TV and in movies every so often -- even as I prefer to remember the amazingly gifted young MGM star whose talents seemed to know no bounds. If it hasn't been mentioned already, Turner Classic Movies is devoting Sunday, April 13 to a full day of some of his best films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Well, Captains Courageous is the best of that bunch, but Rooney's barely in it if memory serves. Boys Town is pretty good, but you can skip the Rooney-focused sequel. Broadway to Hollywood sounds promising, and how can I resist a movie called the Devil is a Sissy?!

Minkin

#29 Post by Minkin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Rather sad to see Mickey Rooney is gone - I thought he would go on forever. Rooney lived in town - and although I never saw him - another friend saw Rooney in the car next to him at a red light - to which my friend apparently yelled "Its Mickey Rooney!" in surprise - to which Mickey Rooney mimed back the response with wild facial gestures. So he was certainly as lively and hilarious in person as he was on screen.

Of the TCM tribute - I might put in a word for You're Only Young Once - one of the Andy Hardy films - this time taking place on Catalina - where the youth find trouble with romance and the old folks seemingly know better. It is probably the best depiction of Catalina in any film I've ever seen (I think a flying fish hits someone in the face) - plus its just a lot of fun.