Le Moine / The Monk (Adonis Kyrou, 1972)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
L.A.

#1 Post by L.A. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:51 am

If someone has seen this, then I'd very much would like to read your comments about the film.

Thanks!

MichaelB

Re: Le Moine / The Monk (Adonis Kyrou, 1972)

#2 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 am

I've never seen it, but I vividly remember a review that said that its core problem was that nobody can film a Buñuel script like Buñuel, and in this case he didn't.

Cold Bishop

#3 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:56 am

I like the film and I voted for it on my horror list. I kind of agree that it doesn't feel like a Bunuel film, but I still don't how Bunuel would have filmed the script: it seems more aggressively confrontational than anything he'd done in decades. Much like Johnny Got His Gun (which feels less like a Bunuel film), it kind of falls outside the "savage wit" that characterizes his later works, which is perhaps why he abandoned them.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Unfortunately they are all in my 'to watch' pile still, so I cannot comment on the material itself, but I thought I would mention there have been numerous attempts at remaking the story over the years such as the 1990 Paul McGann starring version and the 2011 version starring Vincent Cassel and directed by Dominik Moll (of Harry, He's Here To Help/Lemming fame)