Fury (Fritz Lang, 1936)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
hearthesilence

Fury (Fritz Lang, 1936)

#1 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Wound up seeing this tonight for the first time in years. Spencer Tracy is just excellent, especially compared to the rest of the cast. He seems so naturalistic, but it never feels like he's in the wrong movie, even if every other actor in the film is a bit more 'theatrical.'

As always, love the way Lang plays with sound. In at least two sequences, he lets a line of dialogue flow into another time and location, and then again into another, similar to what Welles would do five years later in Citizen Kane (e.g. Kane's growing gubernatorial campaign over the course of three shots).

Mob scenes, crowd shots, all done with brilliance.

The ending is one of the worst re-shoots I've ever seen from this era.

SpoilerShow
Joe Wilson (Spencer Tracy) walks into the courtroom, surprising everyone. He goes up to the judge and tells him how the attempted lynching killed his faith in justice, in people and in this country - worded in a way that evokes a comparison to the Nazis without mentioning their name. Immediately after he says this, the editing falls into a pattern of a close-up of Katherine (Sylvia Sidney), back to him, back even closer to Katherine, etc. However, after the first close-up of Katherine, when it comes back to Tracy, he's no longer on the set. Instead, he's standing in front of a rear-view projection of that courtroom scene. And he's not quite lit the same. Even his hair and clothes are a tiny bit off, the way that would be if days, maybe weeks, had passed and they were trying to match the way he looked before. And of course, his dialogue completely changes, talking about him and Katherine and nothing else, much less anything social or political.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Fury (Fritz Lang, 1936)

#2 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 pm

I've only seen the film once, and it was early on as I got into movies. Even then I knew the ending was not quite right. It was just so abrupt and sudden and really stood out. After the intensity of the scene where he's listening
SpoilerShow
to the radio broadcast of the case and the mob scene developing, he just sort of gives in.

hearthesilence

#3 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm

I felt the same way the first time I saw it, but watching it again, the setup leading into the ending does actually feel right. It's just those final shots that I mentioned that look and play terribly.

Still, I wonder if this was a case similar to Scarface, where they kept softening the ending over and over at different stages. Perhaps they wrote a 'nicer' ending, shot that, tested it and then thought "Nah, doesn't go far enough," and redid the last few shots cheaply?

manicsounds

#4 Post by manicsounds » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Has "Fury" been released as a standalone dvd only? Was it not part of some Warner boxset?

Nevermind, I see it was part of the controversial classics box

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:26 pm

It was part of the first Controversial Classics box but was also available separately (as were most of the early Warner box titles)