Intermission

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Ibnezra

Intermission

#1 Post by Ibnezra » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:31 am

Did The Wolf of Wall Street have an intermission? An intermission would make the unwieldy length of the film seem more like two standard 90 minute films. Sure, it would take longer to exhibit, but it would also boost concession sales for the theater where it's being shown.

Dylan

Re: The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013)

#2 Post by Dylan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Ibnezra wrote:Did The Wolf of Wall Street have an intermission? An intermission would make the unwieldy length of the film seem more like two standard 90 minute films. Sure, it would take longer to exhibit, but it would also boost concession sales for the theater where it's being shown.
I haven't heard anything about this film or any film of the past 20+ years having an intermission. Titanic in 1997 certainly didn't, at least when I saw it back then. This does raise an interesting question (and probably a topic split): what was the last wide release film to have an intermission and at what length would a film in the present have to be for the studios re-introduce this concept?

Jeff

#3 Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Dylan wrote:I haven't heard anything about this film or any film of the past 20+ years having an intermission. Titanic in 1997 certainly didn't, at least when I saw it back then. This does raise an interesting question (and probably a topic split): what was the last wide release film to have an intermission and at what length would a film in the present have to be for the studios re-introduce this concept?
Ghandi in 1982 was the last one, and this article talks about why they won't be returning. In those very rare circumstances of extremely long movies and powerful directors that can keep them from being cut down, they'll release them in two parts, as with Kill Bill and Melancholia. It was briefly considered for The Wolf of Wall Street.

Ibnezra

#4 Post by Ibnezra » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:17 pm

It's certainly worth bringing back. An epic length film with overture, intermission, and exit music would be a welcome sight in my opinion. It would feel much more cinematic than what a visit to the cinema feels like nowadays (a trip to the mall). Maybe "Wolf" isn't the best place to resurrect these evolutionary cast-offs, but I would love to see a revival somewhere.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 pm

When I booked JFK in the early 1990s I was offered a choice of intermission or continuous versions.

Dylan

#6 Post by Dylan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Maybe "Wolf" isn't the best place to resurrect these evolutionary cast-offs, but I would love to see a revival somewhere.
If Overture/Intermission/Exit cues ever do come back it will probably be similar to The Master having had 70mm prints struck for certain theaters - it would be a one-shot throwback gimmick that (while likely effective) probably won't cause any sort of revival. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Matt

Re: Intermission

#7 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:44 pm

There are reports of several films since Gandhi to have intermissions here. I expect, as Michael mentions, some exhibitors were offered an option.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Jeff

#9 Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Matt wrote:There are reports of several films since Gandhi to have intermissions here. I expect, as Michael mentions, some exhibitors were offered an option.
That thread reminded me that when I saw the long version of Che theatrically, it did indeed have an intermission, so I suppose there have been a few limited exceptions in the past 30 years.

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:This is an ingenious app
That is very amusing! I looked up The Wolf Of Wall Street on there and it provides four 'pee times' (the last one seems a bit pointless as it is during the end credits!) and even helpfully describes what you miss during your bathroom break! Here's one of them:
PeeTime starts 70 minutes into movie
PeeTime lasts about 4 minutes
When to go: After Naomi's Aunt Emma, the British lady, says to Jordan, "I lived through the 60s darling. Enjoy the day."
read what happens during this PeeTime
SpoilerShow
Cut to the next day. Jordan leads Naomi out to a dock where he surprises her with a 75 foot yacht - named Naomi - her wedding present. There's a short tour of the yacht narrated by the guy who did "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

Cut to a montage of parties aboard the yacht as Jordan narrates: For three weeks we sailed throughout the Caribbean, eventually taking her home where we bought a house. Seven acres on the Gold Coast of Long Island, the most expensive real estate in the world. With a full staff of servants, cooks, and security staff. It was heaven on earth.

On screen: 18 months later.

Jordan is asleep when Naomi throws a glass of water on him and says, "Wake up you piece of shit. Who's Venice?" Jordan is stunned and acts like he has no idea what she's talking about. She accuses him of sleeping with a hooker. He tells her that's the stupidest thing he's ever heard of.

Cut to Jordan, naked, with a lit candle sticking out of his ass. He says, "Venice baby, where are you?" She comes to him and starts dripping the wax onto his back - she's a dominatrix.

Cut back to the bedroom where Jordan tells Naomi that he remembers why he has the name "Venice" on his mind. It's because he and Donny are investing in some condominiums in California called Venice. She doesn't believe him and throws more water on him.
MichaelB wrote:When I booked JFK in the early 1990s I was offered a choice of intermission or continuous versions.
"If you need to visit the bathroom during the screening of this movie, please note that our facilities are situated through the exit that is back and to the left of the auditorium"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:38 pm

JFK is one of the few 3+ hour movies I could very easily sit through unabated without the need to use the restroom or stretch my legs, as it zooms by in what feels like half the running time-- though it's so pieced together that probably any time is as good as any to excuse yourself to the restroom!

dadaistnun

#12 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Che's intermission was no doubt due to length but also the fact that Part 1/The Argentine was 'scope and Part 2/Guerilla was flat 1.85 and therefore required a lens change.
Last edited by dadaistnun on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Numero Trois

#13 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Gods and Generals had an intermission, at least to the theatre I went to in Pinellas Park (near Tampa).

Surely most of the art theatres that screened La Belle Noiseuse back in the day had intermissions for it. As could be expected.

Numero Trois

#14 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:06 am

Though in the latter movie's case the way I remember it there was no intermission cue, just a fadeout. Since it was a small theatre (of course) you were given the option of coming back another day to catch the second half in case you couldn't make it all the way through.

Ishmael

#15 Post by Ishmael » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 am

When I saw Mysteries of Lisbon at the National Gallery in DC a couple years ago, there was an intermission. Same with A Brighter Summer Day, though when I saw that at the nearby Freer Gallery (different management), it played straight through. Come to think of it, the programmer at the National Gallery asked the audience (before starting the film) if we wanted an intermission during The Godfather, so maybe the point here is that with non-multiplex theaters, the management may just decide to stop the film halfway through.

Ibnezra

#16 Post by Ibnezra » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:03 am

Can you imagine how hard it would be to get the industry to give up it's "coming attractions" space while people are seating themselves at a multiplex? I'm not even sure that's within the realm of even the most remote possibility. I think the overture is extinct, without any chance of coming back, at least not as a standard feature of a wide-release film. Who's got the most pull in Hollywood? Spielberg? I bet even he couldn't pull it off.

And what about one going directly to exit music without closing credits? The Unions might have a thing or two to say about that.

Sad, really.

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Ishmael wrote:Come to think of it, the programmer at the National Gallery asked the audience (before starting the film) if we wanted an intermission during The Godfather, so maybe the point here is that with non-multiplex theaters, the management may just decide to stop the film halfway through.
On an afternoon matinée of Seven Samurai, we asked the audience upfront if they wanted an intermission. Pretty much everyone said yes, which was exactly the answer we wanted, so everyone was happy.

Ibnezra

#18 Post by Ibnezra » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:05 am

colinr0380 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:When I booked JFK in the early 1990s I was offered a choice of intermission or continuous versions.
"If you need to visit the bathroom during the screening of this movie, please note that our facilities are situated through the exit that is back and to the left of the auditorium"
Back... and to the left?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08 am

Ibnezra wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:
Back... and to the left?
This YouTube edit could use an intermission

med

#20 Post by med » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:26 pm

There's a two-screen independent theater in my town that has in the past forced an intermission into longer films that did not have one. I was surprised and annoyed the first time I saw it (the Fincher The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), and a bit relieved the second time I encountered one. (Django Unchained. As it happened, I did need to use the restroom at that moment!) I'm sure more patrons appreciate it than don't, as this particular theater serves beer and wine, so bathroom breaks are quite popular.

As it happens, I saw The Wolf of Wall Street there, but without an intermission. Apparently one was included in the 6:30 "dinner" screening, though.

lady wakasa

#21 Post by lady wakasa » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:29 am

Sita Sings the Blues has an intermission.

Two minutes, mind, but it's clearly marked as such.

Doesn't this question also depend on location? I've seen movies with intermissions overseas long after the practice had been in effect discontinued in the US.

And Napoleon has three, although I don't think that's quite what you meant. ;^)

Cold Bishop

#22 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:21 am

Don't Italian cinemas provide intermissions even during 90 minute films? Or has multiplex culture completely eroded that?

Zot!

#23 Post by Zot! » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 am

Intermissions I remember are Gettysburg, theatrical screenings of LvT's The Kingdom, and Satantango. Satantango was actually a full lunch break, and two intermissions, if I remember correctly. Also, revival screenings of things that always had inlcluded an intermission.

Ibnezra

#24 Post by Ibnezra » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 am

According to the most basic research, I've found that almost all Bollywood films, and even many Hollywood films shown on the subcontinent have intermissions. So yes, the culture where the movie is shown may have a lot to do with whether you get an intermission or not.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#25 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Robot Monster has the most important intermission of all.