The Interview (Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, 2014)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

The Interview (Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, 2014)

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Since this is still a real movie that people may want to discuss, starting a thread again.

Sony will make it available on Crackle (for free!)

manicsounds

Re: The Interview (Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, 2014)

#2 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:03 am

Sony denies NY Post story that it will release The Interview on Crackle

It also currently has a 10/10 rating on IMDB, which does seem a bit unlikely...

Lemmy Caution

#3 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:56 am

Well, it was screened in NYC for Rogen and drunken friends.

I'm waiting for someone to hack IMDb and change all the ratings, and freak out cinephiles ...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 pm

That was prior to the release's cancellation.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:06 pm

I think he was just pointing out how people could have already rated it on IMDb. That being said, if ever you needed proof that IMDb ratings are meaningless, The Interview currently has more than 27,000 votes of 10. And 1300 votes of 1 (though it's impossible to tell how many of these are North Korea as opposed to Christopher Nolan fanboys). So I guess that means...America wins?

D50

#8 Post by D50 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

This seems to show more states / theaters at the moment: Where ‘The Interview’ Will Be Screened.

Forrest Taft

#10 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:30 am

If this turns out to be a problem for you Swo, I'm willing to open the door to my appartment, and let you watch it with me in my home. All you have to do is book a flight to Stavanger, Norway. I'll let you use my TMNT® Michelangelo 3D-glasses.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#11 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:10 am

Or, FWIW, you can also not watch it at all.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 am

People in other countries can't tell me what to watch!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:39 am

We're going to shut down the forum just in case

D50

#14 Post by D50 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:58 am

They hate us cause they ain't us.

_

knives

#16 Post by knives » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:50 am

This was surprisingly good like if Harold Ramis' vulgar fantasy style got mixed up with one of Albert Brooks media satires. It's probably not as good as that suggests with the film loving Rogen and Franco a little too much, but that genial attitude makes the rather gory finale surprisingly good natured in spite of itself.

Red Screamer

#17 Post by Red Screamer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:33 am

knives wrote:This was surprisingly good like if Harold Ramis' vulgar fantasy style got mixed up with one of Albert Brooks media satires. It's probably not as good as that suggests with the film loving Rogen and Franco a little too much, but that genial attitude makes the rather gory finale surprisingly good natured in spite of itself.
I was also pleasantly surprised though I still wouldn't quite recommend it. There are a few great jokes but for every genuinely funny moment there's two or three of blatant laziness with jokes being rehashed without purpose as well as story threads, character traits, and themes picked up and dropped off at random. Franco also overplays and if Rogen and him had switched roles maybe more jokes would land? That being said, this is still better than both of the other movies I begrudgingly agreed to see in my oh so generous Christmas spirit, enduring all five armies of The Hobbit (but the 48fps 3D did interest me for the first 20 minutes or so) and the unbearably cliched and superficial Unbroken (but it might be funny as a cruel Coen prank?).

On a side note, I am confused and annoyed by the trend of The Quick Awkward Sex Scene in American mainstream comedy. It's not even an attempt at a joke and seems more genophobic to me than anything. Either way it's achingly unfunny.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#18 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 pm

The first half of the film definitely plays better, as the second half just relies a bit too much on call-backs of jokes that worked to varying levels of success the first time around (if I heard "honey----ing" one more time...). It seemed like Franco wasn't edited enough (his character just had too many personality shifts and he mugged too much at times) either - but I had a great time all the way through, truth be told. I'm really fond of the premise, as silly comedy seems to be a better portal to social or even geopolitical change (even if that wasn't the intent here) than stale drama, and I laughed enough (particularly at Randall Park's portrayal of Kim Jong-un, as a significantly more brutish, hulking version of the dictator that just visually worked so well) that I was very pleased with this overall. Also, shouldn't go without saying that seeing it on the big screen on Christmas Day was definitely the way to go - a crowded theater can do a lot for nudging a pretty good comedy into pretty great comedy territory.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:47 pm

When I was back home in Oklahoma over Christmas they showed footage of a movie theatre audience sincerely singing "God Bless America" before the film started

DrunkenFatherFigure

#20 Post by DrunkenFatherFigure » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:57 pm

domino harvey wrote:When I was back home in Oklahoma over Christmas they showed footage of a movie theatre audience sincerely singing "God Bless America" before the film started
Which I believe was at the Plaza Theater in good old ATL. At least, the Plaza has been relentlessly tweeting about people singing God Bless America there ever since Christmas. It sounds just awful.

flyonthewall2983

#21 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:10 pm

It goes up on Netflix Streaming this Saturday.

warren oates

#22 Post by warren oates » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Meet the unofficial self-appointed (and, obviously life-risking) distributor of The Interview in North Korea.
Wired Magazine wrote:Even The Interview—the Kim Jong-un assassination comedy that the North Korean government tried to keep from being released by using threats, intimidation, and (according to the FBI) a devastating hacking operation against Sony Pictures—has made its way into the country. Chinese traders’ trucks carried 20 copies of the film across the border the day after Christmas, just two days after its online release...Predicting North Koreans’ reactions to foreign media isn’t easy. The Interview, for all the furor it elicited from the Kim regime, got an equally negative reaction from North Koreans who saw it on the other side of the border. The smuggler Jung Kwang-il says contacts he spoke to in the country were offended by its low production values and mockery of North Korean culture. “They thought it was poorly made on purpose to mock North Korea, but I explained it was just a bad movie,” he says. “They prefer The Hunger Games.”
Superbad gets better reviews from a recent defector: “If I were still in North Korea, it would blow my mind.” Really, though, the whole wide-ranging article is fascinating reading, just as good if not better than the similar material in last year's Frontline piece.